Transit tube .. a bit frustrating

So I was saving hard on plastic by ranching the blue sheeps. After several problems with the hydrogen setup (I still think growing sheep-scales consumes hydrogen) I managed to save enough plastic for my first transit tube (38 tiles up).

I was so proud! Until I saw two duplicants climbing up the ladder and one of the took the transit tube. They arrived at the same time as all my duplicants climb and run really fast (I'm in cycle 200).

Given that the transit consumes 960W power and does not accelerate my duplicants, the magic is gone. The only advantage may be that the duplicants do not drop their luggage when going up, but this is something I'm still laughing about when it's raining resources. Sometimes I even just watch at the bottom for minutes what they drop on the ladder and fire pole.

So I guess none of you is using a transit tube?

18 minutes ago, saphir_n2o said:

I still think growing sheep-scales consumes hydrogen

It doesn't, but unless you water lock the room increasing oxygen pressure can change the levels of the hydrogen because the gas is compressed. It's not an issue once your base is always at maximum pressure.

You may have watched some super athletic dupe on a plastic ladder, but aside from that tubes are faster going up. They are useful for longer distances, like core base to space or oil biome

13 minutes ago, saphir_n2o said:

So I guess none of you is using a transit tube?

I use transit tubes quite a bit.  They're great for shipping your dupes long distances, or past hazardous biomes.   Be warned: Transit tubes through vacuum areas will end up breaking the vacuum if the dupe is carrying something that can off-gas.  Or you if a flatulent dupe gets into the tubes.. 

Transit tubes are great for major distances like said by Kitten. I think you felt like that with tubes because it's only 38 tiles up. The more common would be making your dupes going down to oil biome and up to space for any reason...

A good reason to go down there is crude oil  extraction from oil wells! It will make more plastic you'll ever need in the long run. Ranching glossy dreckos isn't bad but it's more labor intensive and takes much longer than industrial path if you're not doing it massively.

5 minutes ago, Junksteel said:

Ranching glossy dreckos isn't bad but it's more labor intensive and takes much longer than industrial path if you're not doing it massively.

Personally I'm super slow with setting up the oil industry, so I love glossy dreckos. I have built significant tube networks that way, but just a little plastic is extremely useful to have for high pressure vents, steam turbines, germ sensors or critter traps.

I have transit tube, fire pole and plastic ladder next to each other. Firepole going down is faster, Transit tube going up is faster. I guess the speed benefit increases with longer distances of tube.

How much points do your dupes have for atletic trait? If it's 25+ they may come close to speed of transit tube. 

5 hours ago, Fleetfeet said:

they're more akin to a 'train' system than they are an upgrade from walking to driving a car.

Right.  You have a loading and unloading time period, especially if there are multiple dupes or the station needs to charge.  Then, until they reach a destination, they can't just decide to go somewhere else -- they're in it for the long haul.  Going short distances is definitely inefficient, but for a long distance it can be well worth the effort of putting the tubes in.    

Clearly the main problem is that athletic dupes are too athletic.  ;)

Transit tubes are a handy way of isolating air zones between rooms. Rather than spending a huge amount of effort building an airlock, the duplicant can simply jump through a transit tube into the room.

Thanks for the different point of views. I extended my 38 tile-tube to over 120 tiles. Now the speed is significant. However, the tube does not correlate with my base setup. I'm playing an organic grown base and there are several stations along the main ladders. This is not a core base with outposts/bridgeheads. I'm also using decentralized storage areas. So the duplicants often do not use the tube as e.g. their next errand is halfway up.

I guess the tube is best applied to a core base with several dynamic bridgeheads. I guess this is a tactic one does need in late game to cover the lenght of the whole map. By now, I'm still in organic growth. 

On 20/02/2020 at 7:07 AM, Angpaur said:

Nope.

A good demonstration to show how little benefit is gained from having tubes.

It was the case a while back, that if you were worried about power consumption of transit tubes, you could just disable them and they'd still work just fine, just without consuming power.

3 hours ago, Craigjw said:

A good demonstration to show how little benefit is gained from having tubes.

It was the case a while back, that if you were worried about power consumption of transit tubes, you could just disable them and they'd still work just fine, just without consuming power.

Little benefit versus the second fastest method of transportation under the restrictions that transportation allows (specifically, downward movement). Plus pole use scaling with dupe agility to a limit...

To sum it up, transit tubes are faster than poles over long distances, AND transit tubes can do -so much more- than poles can. I don't think that's a good case for them being of little benefit. They're hardly a gamechanging upgrade, sure, but they certainly have their place. It just isn't as a replacement for ladders in your main base.

Generally I don't bother with tubes until late in the mid-game when my base has become a sprawl.  However, as others have pointed out, dupe movement isn't their only use.  You can do things like run a tube straight through a large pool that dupes would otherwise have to go around. You don't have to stop at doors, or step down then back up to get through some types of liquid locks.  If you're using them ONLY for dupe movement, and only over short distances (30 to 50 tiles), then sure, they're a bit of  a waste.  However, when you look at what dupes must go through to get where they're going, sometimes tubes make a lot more sense.

Lets say you've got an oil well, in the lower right corner of the map.  To get there, a dupe has to: run  down a hallway, get into a environmental suit, go through an air-lock, drop down a pole to go under a PW pool, go through another air lock, run a ways, go up a ladder and down a short hall to get past a sealed off volcano, drop down a ladder, and finally pass through another airlock to get to the oil well.  With a transit tube, even if you followed the same path, it would be faster because the dupe wouldn't be stopping at doors or transitioning from floors to ladders/poles.  You could even avoid needing the suit, since a dupe can off-gas a vent in a single trip while holding their breath.

Just now, Angpaur said:

Also tube is slightly faster than a dupe with 25 athletics running on metal/plastic tiles.

Yes. But in previous tests they weren't bothering to isolate the test from the tube load and unload time.  So over short distances, metal tiles would still win.  I was being somewhat facetious with my previous post because of how tubes were "tested" in the past.

1 hour ago, KittenIsAGeek said:

Yes. But in previous tests they weren't bothering to isolate the test from the tube load and unload time.  So over short distances, metal tiles would still win.  I was being somewhat facetious with my previous post because of how tubes were "tested" in the past.

Those who measure measure crap ;)

The difference is that some know this and try to compensate to get at least somewhat meaningful numbers, while others are satisfied when the numbers "show" what they wanted to argue for.

Archived