I said that I was only going to Create Three more NEW Thread topics throughout the rest of 2020, The first one was about Wendy’s Belongings Skins that will no doubt come with her Refresh. (You can check that out if you haven’t already.)

But this  Second Thread is about something I feel is equally just as important, the Oasis Biome.. the current version well it looks like this.. first image here and it’s always in a large empty rocky desert. 

What I would like to see is the entire desert here covered in sand (you know like how most real life deserts are supposed to look..?) And that the player wanders around in a almost completely empty sandy plot of land until they stumble upon the Actual Oasis Itself just out there somewhere within that sandy desert.

If it is at all possible I would love to see “Mirage” versions of the Oasis, that once you got right up on it disappeared until you finally found the Real One which would look more like this second photo.

I am pretty Sick and Tired of people saying Shipwrecked Content has absolutely no place in DST.. I want Walani & SW Biomes in the game but instead of simply saying it over and over again I’ve decided to go a couple steps further and edit a few photos to show that when applied in the right place.. Shipwrecked Theme content CAN Exist in DST.

———————————

(You can look for me to post my third and final new thread of 2020 during Hallowed Nights 2020.. I promised the Devs I was going to do a cool spooky scene last Hallowed Nights and I ultimately Failed to deliver :( )

5AFD44AA-BF99-4E19-BA46-31CC94D58470.jpeg

B1802828-981B-4392-8A28-37326F38DCE8.jpeg

6EB2C592-CFB6-43B7-872B-7098821BB444.jpeg

E9B21990-A23D-4A88-88EB-5C1703F0BB26.jpeg

I don't see the point of making the one-time chore of looking for oasis slightly more tedious. Plus you can always look in Winter when the air is too cold to show any mirages.

Also, though I agree palm trees would fit in an Oasis setting, simply placing an oasis lake smack middle of a sandy desert while removing the grassy land around it would make your Oasis look more like a puddle than an actual oasis, as shown in your photo edit.

Lastly, SW biomes specifically do not fit in DST because DST is set in a temperate region. Tropical flora and fauna can and shall die out if placed in a region with winter. However much you impose, it sadly cannot be the case for SW biomes.

I don't know about making the oasis REALLY Shipwrecked-y and adding mirages and stuff...

All I want is the flippin' palm trees.  Heck, have palm trees available SOMEwhere in the world and I'll chop 'em down, take the coconuts with me, remove the birch trees and plant the coconuts at the oasis _myself_, if I need to!

...Notorious

4 hours ago, CaptainChaotica said:

I don't know about making the oasis REALLY Shipwrecked-y and adding mirages and stuff...

All I want is the flippin' palm trees.  Heck, have palm trees available SOMEwhere in the world and I'll chop 'em down, take the coconuts with me, remove the birch trees and plant the coconuts at the oasis _myself_, if I need to!

...Notorious

it'd be nice to have palm trees that can only be acquired from the oasis. it could be like a lunar tree situation, but a bit easier to get your hands on.  bonus points if they take longer to grow, or you can only get them in the summer or something like that. maybe coconuts would have really good benefits as well. 

1 hour ago, Mike23Ua said:

Well Ladies & Gentleman there is absolutely no denying this one: An Actual CITY built in a Desert Oasis..

7743E33F-1D00-4589-8476-788B9A3C199F.jpeg

Huacachina (from Quechua wakachina guard[1], conceal[2], possibly shortened from wakachina qucha meaning 'hidden lagoon') is a village built around a small oasis and surrounded by sand dunes in southwestern Peru. It is about five kilometers from the city of Ica in the Ica District of Ica Province.[3] The oasis was introduced as a feature on the back of the 50 nuevo sol note in 1991. Huacachina has a permanent population of around 100 people,[4] although it hosts many tens of thousands of tourists each year.

Fact Checked.

also that's irl i believe

20 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

just watch Disney’s Aladdin The old one.. with Robin Williams in it.. Not whatever that new one is supposed to be.

Oh ok, an animated fairytale = real?

That's uh, very interesting. 

Anyways, animals don't live in oasis due to lack of food

5 hours ago, __IvoCZE__ said:

Oh ok, an animated fairytale = real?

That's uh, very interesting. 

A game where it Ice’s over one minute & then animals get so hot they spontaneously burst into flames the next.. yeah that’s interesting too I bet.

If you DONT like the idea just disagree & move on.. I’ve provided plenty of pretty solid examples as to how & why it SHOULD work.

I don’t really have anything left to say.

Well, as someone who lives right near/kinda in? a New World-style desert area myself, I'm all for adding scorpions to the game.  Provided they're like neutral, and don't auto-attack you.  And if they're poisonous, maybe make the antidote easier to get the ingredients for than in Shipwrecked, 'cos I have died MANY times due to "Where...is...the stupid...cor--" (ACK! dead)   Maybe Webber can commune with them in some way, as a fellow arachnid.

I would also like it if perhaps DST palm trees don't "comically" bonk you on the head QUITE as often while chopping them.  I swear, it seems that happens to me _every single time_ I'm not wearing a helmet, and 0 times when I am...

Also animals definitely WOULD live in an oasis 'cos it's the one part of the desert that CAN have plentiful food.  Life, uh, finds a way, _any_ where it can. I'm sure everyone here has seen a crack in, say, a parking lot wirth a thriving mini-garden growing in it?  Like that.

(Also also, "sand and disappointment" totally sounds like something GrayStillPlays would say.  : P)

...Notorious

This isn’t entirely true, Tropical crabs might not live in a desert.. but SAND Crabs do. Same with Scorpions, and Snakes, and Dung Beatle (just watch Disney’s Aladdin The old one.. with Robin Williams in it.. Not whatever that new one is supposed to be.

All crabs are tropical. Crabs live in moist coastlines where they can live, feed and reproduce, not in arid deserts where they cannot due to the extreme beat and cold. Even crabs which have adapted to life on land like the coconut crab live near beaches to reproduce.

A video game where things Ice over one minute and then animals can get so hot they spontaneously burst into flames the next.. yeah that’s interesting too I bet.

If you DONT like the idea just disagree and move on.. I’ve provided plenty of pretty solid examples as to how and why it SHOULD work.

I don’t really have anything left to say.

The game is supposed to evoke a small sense of realism without being too realistic. For instance, certain creatures like Pengulls appear in winter, and geese in spring. Bees get mad in the spring. Creatures of the constant are supposed to adapt to its environment, and tropical creatures cannot do so in a temperate environment.

3 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

If that’s all they do to the Biome I could settle for that too I guess but.. 

This photo here is probably the best “Real Life” Photo I could find of an Oasis

And below that is my very horrible edited photo I created myself by swapping a few images and replacing them with Shipwrecked Content.

10B51F93-C9D6-48C7-B40D-2F7034505B3A.jpeg

DE2AE913-3935-4081-8FD1-52A240B3F64B.jpeg

Want to add one more photo for the skeptics who are just thinking “pffft that photo is obviously fake and Mike23Ua just wants Shipwrecked Content added to the game”.

Well Ladies & Gentleman there is absolutely no denying this one: An Actual Village built in a Desert Oasis..

7743E33F-1D00-4589-8476-788B9A3C199F.jpeg

Trying to justify adding sea content, crabbits and other shipwrecked content to the oasis with a photo of a landlocked oasis shows that you truly just want to add shipwrecked content ingame without considering the disruption it'll bring into the aesthetic balance of the game. They just dont fit.

On 2/14/2020 at 5:13 PM, GetNerfedOn said:

Trying to justify adding sea content, crabbits and other shipwrecked content to the oasis with a photo of a landlocked oasis shows that you truly just want to add shipwrecked content ingame without considering the disruption it'll bring into the aesthetic balance of the game. They just dont fit.

Then remove the Crabbits & Replace them with Poisonous Snakes Then.. an Oasis surrounded by sand just looks a lot better.

4 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

Then remove the Crabbits & Replace them with Poisonous Snakes Then..

(Don’t tell me dangerous poisonous snakes don’t live in a Desert.)

Eitherway an Oasis surrounded by sand just looks a lot better.

(plus you can always simply just use Video Game Logic of the Oasis being meant to Simulate a Tropical Island Paradise smack dab in the Middle of a Sandy desert..)

Im fine with whichever one Klei prefers to do honestly.

Sure, i can agree with scorpions and poisonous snakes spawning near Oasis. But the oasis (and the dfly desert) is already surrounded by sand. Dig up the turf and it'll show Sandy turf. It is simply colored that way to emulate a barren wasteland where little can live in keeping with the wilderness theme. Why go through so much trouble to make one aesthetic change that wont fit? The oasis looks fine as is.

The thing about Video Game Logic is that in the end things are still suposed to be slightly realistic. One does not simply slap a tropical paradise ingame without first considering the implications it may have. As I have explained before, DST is supposed to emulate a temperate setting.

Okay but.. Will this still be the case when or if Klei decides to add more new biomes to the game like they did with the Lunar Islands?

im just going to tell you realism only goes so far in games, what matters the most is the gameplay.

maybe on PC they can separate your Biomes with miles and miles of ocean.. but on consoles our worlds are going to obviously be significantly smaller and you may end up with a Biome full of ice right beside Dragonfly’s pool of molting lava.

does it make logical sense? no it sure doesn’t.. but it’s a video game & I didn’t expect it to.

Season 4 of Apex Legends has a stream of volcanic Lava going slap down the middle of a frozen ice covered cliff is that actually possible? probably not.. but it looks pretty.

But this is Don't Starve Together we are talking about, not apex legends. DST was designed so environments would have a niche in survival, not just for the point of gaudy designs like your aforementioned lava-stream-down-an-icy-slope.

Sure, the devs can take whatever creative liberties they can, but in the end, they designed the game's environments to be evocative of a wilderness survival experience set in a temperate region. Sure, Pengulls can come over and slap Glaciers all over DFly lava pools during the winter, but that isn't as absurd to see tropical flora and fauna in the middle of a desert.

In the end my point still stands: all these changes to the oasis are rather extraneous.

2 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

How so?

Minecraft updates their already existing Biomes with new content and Mobs all the Time.

I get the climate thing (sort of) but surely you can’t expect them to make some pretty drastic changes to the game at some point.

The deserts are designed to be barren, with unique resources in them which thematically fit deserts irl (Volt Goats, cacti, buzzards, spiky trees and bushes) and unique ingame features (DF, hound mounds, Antlion, oasis).

Minecraft updates their biomes with mobs which fit their biomes (eg Husks for the desert, Polar Bears,). Which brings me back to my point. Slapping tropical content in an arid, temperate desert does not work well in DST's design.

Updates must be in line with the biome which is why i can agree with palm trees and vipers and scorpions being added. However, forcing SW content in doesn't work as well.

I honestly prefer the look of deserts as it is. The current ground texture looks more rock-y and it suits DST's theme rather than SW's.
And it makes less sense for palm trees to grow in that landscape, well, because the palm trees aren't native to that region of Constant.

21 hours ago, GetNerfedOn said:

Lastly, SW biomes specifically do not fit in DST because DST is set in a temperate region. Tropical flora and fauna can and shall die out if placed in a region with winter. However much you impose, it sadly cannot be the case for SW biomes.

I never really understood this argument, if the constant can have a desert, savannah, and temperate forest all in the same location I don't see why tropical islands would be out of the question 

5 hours ago, sudoku said:

I never really understood this argument, if the constant can have a desert, savannah, and temperate forest all in the same location I don't see why tropical islands would be out of the question 

Placing the content of said tropical islands in the middle of the desert would be, wouldn't it be? 

Plus said biomes are in DST because they are slightly semirealistically viable in a temperate setting/climate/environment. Forcing content adapted from biomes from an entirely different climate into a temperate zone just doesn't fit well.

16 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

Then remove the Crabbits & Replace them with Poisonous Snakes Then..

(Don’t tell me dangerous poisonous snakes don’t live in a Desert.)

Eitherway an Oasis surrounded by sand just looks a lot better.

(plus you can always simply just use Video Game Logic of the Oasis being meant to Simulate a Tropical Island Paradise smack dab in the Middle of a Sandy desert..)

Im fine with whichever one Klei prefers to do honestly.

The Oasis IS surrounded by Sand though. In all the Oasis examples you send, the Oasis is of moderate size, i'd say 2-4 tiles wide in every direction, which the Oasis already is. Palm trees would be cool, they may fit more than birchnut trees, but  Scorpions, Snakes and crabs not so much. I'd rather have Dst stand out as it is and keep all the Sw shenaniagans to Mods or a future toggleable setting. 

The reason Sw is a subworld in the first place is because it'd have crashed with RoG, and since Dst is RoG+, it wouldn't really work out. 

10 hours ago, sudoku said:

That has more to do with aridity than average temperature, doesn't it? A desert is defined by how dry it is, not by being hot year-round; it's just that a lot of the best-known desert regions on Earth also happen to be in subtropical or equatorial latitudes. (Putting aside the fact that in play, the weather is the same in every part of the island, whether you're in the desert or the swamp.)

The ecosystem of a place where the temperature stays around the same year-round would be pretty different from the ecosystem of a place with hot summers and well-below-freezing winters, and while I suppose I can't rule out the possibility of new isolated island biomes where the seasons are different from everywhere else on the map in much the same way that the lunacy/enlightenment mechanic is unique to the lunar islands, I'm not enthusiastic about the concept in and of itself, and I think there are better, more interesting ways to implement that general idea than using it as an excuse to cut-and-paste islands of preexisting Shipwrecked content into the oceans of DST maps. And, for that matter, better ways to add Shipwrecked content to DST. If I was going to put Shipwrecked in DST I'd make it a server preset so you could either generate regular RoG servers or Shipwrecked servers.

Archived