Better Starving?

Hello!

As a old player of this game I realized a thing. None of my death wasn't bc of starving and I'm rarely get starve. The food is very easy thing to get every season in game. I just get meatball, fishsticks everytime and it's just boring. There is no reasons to make cooked turkey or jellybean.

I saw a guy asked for "Everycharacter is picky eater." and most of people said no. They are right bc only a "cooker" can choose food while surviving. But how about healthy eating? Here my ideas, don't forget to sharing your ideas.

Hunger have 4 tabs. This tabs decrase slowly and not critic as hunger if you arent starving. Also keep it in your mind, that effects is not very powerfull effects and they will not change your gameplay so much. They just would be critic when they are very low. This idea just make you more carefull about eating, not slave of diets.

Steak Frites Profile Icon 
      MEAT 

-Player can gain protein from meats (much), milk (normal) and mushrooms (slightly).

-Deficiency of protein causes low damage multiplier.

-So so much meat give more hitpoint but drain 0.5 health per second. (Vegan bunnies liked it!)

Extra Idea➥ If your meat bar is high, you will smell meat and bunnies will not like that.
Extra Idea➥ Wurt's meat bar should drain very slow.
Extra Idea➥ Wigfrid's meat bar should drain faster.

Roast Vegetables Profile Icon
 VEGETABLE

-Player can gain vegetables from veggies (much), fruits (normal) and musrooms (slightly).

-Deficiency of vegetable causes low maximum health.

-So so much vegetables regenerate health but causing more sanity drain. (Nobody loves veggies lol)

Extra Idea➥ Wigfrid's vegetable should drain very slow.
Extra Idea➥ Wigfrid should able to eating "leafy meats" and "butterflies" to gain vegetable point. Also there should be more leafy meat sources.
Extra Idea➥ Wurt's veg. bar should drain faster.

Berry Tart Profile Icon
    SUGAR

-Player can gain sugar from honey (much), fruit (normal) and vegetables (slightly).

-Deficiency of sugar caues low speed on running and collecting.

-So so much sugar speeds up character but causing more hunger drain. (It's king of sugar coma :D)

Extra Idea➥ Kid characters like Wurt, Wendy and Webber should gain sanity from sugar bar!
Extra Idea➥ Wickerbottom is an old lady, she should have diabet and high sugar should be dangerous for her!

Sensible Potion Profile Icon

OIL

-Player can gain oil from butter (much) and meat (normal). (There is not much oil sources in game but klei should let us crafting oil from vegetables or flowers.)

-Deficiency of oil causes low damage absorb, you will get more damage from creatures.

-So so much oil causes fatness and slows your character running speed but makes you starving slower.

Extra Idea➥ Foods like meatball, meatstew should need a oil but oil should be easy to get.
Extra Idea➥ Flower oil from flowers, fish oil from fishs and also they can add plants like olive and sunflower.

Thanks for reading.

I don't think Hunger needs to be harder.

Hunger is usually the first challenge you encounter when first playing the game. And it is still very much hard when you are first playing the game. Eventually you will overcome that challenge, and congratulations! You have found ways to encounter the challenge of hunger and starvation, but ooooh wait, You've got winter coming up, lightning strikes, a horrible beast coming to get you and so on.

Hunger is the first challenge in the game, and imo shouldn't really be harder as imo it is still very much hard for beginners

13 minutes ago, Slagger said:

As a old player of this game I realized a thing. None of my death wasn't bc of starving and I'm rarely get starve. The food is very easy thing to get every season in game. I just get meatball, fishsticks everytime and it's just boring. There is no reasons to make cooked turkey or jellybean.

If you're experienced at the game, starving won't really be an issue. It's just a stat you need to maintain. Despite the misleading title, Don't Starve Together has a lot more things to do than gathering food. And also, I don't think your suggestions will make you die to hunger much. A new meta will emerge soon to make it as easy to deal as it can. It'll make the game for new players even harder than it already is, and if anything, it'll just make hunger a time consuming chore for late-game players.

Side note, what exactly happened to the suggestions subforum? Half of the posts I've been seeing in the general discussions subforum have been suggestions that belong in here and no one seems to care. General discussions is about, well, general discussions on the game. People who have ideas on new stuff or feedback on how the game can be improved should be posting in the right subforum to keep things better organized and easier to find.

1 minute ago, Hornete said:

I don't think Hunger needs to be harder.

Hunger is usually the first challenge you encounter when first playing the game. And it is still very much hard when you are first playing the game. Eventually you will overcome that challenge, and congratulations! You have found ways to encounter the challenge of hunger and starvation, but ooooh wait, You've got winter coming up, lightning strikes, a horrible beast coming to get you and so on.

Hunger is the first challenge in the game, and imo shouldn't really be harder as imo it is still very much hard for beginners

I understand you about beggining, I thinked about it and I have few ideas about it too.
1) Starting support! Characters will start with full stats and a stat for normal character (ex. meat for wilson) will get zero in 10 days if he don't eat any meat item. 10 days, I think it's pretty much. Also as I said, it's not a death diet, it's just make you eating different foods more!
2) Natural is nice to us!
-There should be edible mushrooms like horse mushroom in forests or tree mushrooms when they cut down . They should show up only in autmn like real life! Protein has gone.
-There is tons of carrots and berries in world. Vegs and sugar gone too.
-Player should gain little oil from eating flower. Also eating any cooked meat give oil too! 

5 minutes ago, Electroely said:

suggestions

What suggestion? This was an order.

Just kidding, I forgot it, my mistake. I hope mods just transport it to suggestion.

12 minutes ago, CameoAppearance said:

I can't get behind any major changes to the basic gameplay of Don't Starve this late in the process, but this would make a pretty good mod. 

This game gonna make me learn codding.

Worrying about the exact details and intricacies of all the food you have to eat and balancing even more meters sounds like micromanaging, which is far from a important part of Don't Starve, I love the game because the mechanics and systems are very simple, but the punishments for not using them and being unprepared are harsh.

I'm all for more difficulty, but the difficult part about hunger is finding the resources, not looking up all the details on a wiki and having to spend all your time worrying about what foods do what, and all the stat balancing details.

Hunger is a motivator for action, it's what forces you to actually explore and maybe take risks. It doesn't need to be more than that.

How about... instead of forcing the player to use different foods via different stat meters, changing their effectiveness for different seasons? That way the “meta” food is never the same. For example different plants growing in different seasons in farm plots. We already have this ingame with birchnuts trees. As a wood harvesting character, it’s ridiculously easy to obtain hoards of filler at the beginning of the game, but every other season it is incredibly ineffective. If more things operated in a way like this, then players would naturally vary their diet without the use of a bunch of new meters.

46 minutes ago, WoodieMain45684 said:

How about... instead of forcing the player to use different foods via different stat meters, changing their effectiveness for different seasons? That way the “meta” food is never the same. For example different plants growing in different seasons in farm plots. We already have this ingame with birchnuts trees. As a wood harvesting character, it’s ridiculously easy to obtain hoards of filler at the beginning of the game, but every other season it is incredibly ineffective. If more things operated in a way like this, then players would naturally vary their diet without the use of a bunch of new meters.

This would also slightly nerf the op wormwood and wicker team, which is a good thing i believe.

Maybe the hunger-modifier could be changed, so you loose hunger faster when doing certain actions (fighting, chopping, mining) or when you are in winter or summer. That would be the less uncomplicated way to make starvation a thing again.

"Don't Light Your Base On Fire By Wild Dogs", as well.  (I mean, I've been playing Willow, if the flames go on HER it's no big.  But so help me, if you burn down all my hard work...)

Anyway, I dunno about big changes to the most constant (ha ha) mechanic of the game...but I do like to throw the "Thirst" mod in there from time to time.  However...there's a reason it's a MOD.  (I also liked the old version better.  New one's too fancy.)

I can maaaaaaaybe see making players eat (plain) veggies every now and then because scurvy?  But BYE-BYE, Wigfrid!

Let's face it, if balanced diets were actually required in this game, MOST characters would've been dead a long time ago.  : P

...Notorious

In dst you have more food founts than in regular ds because the map is desing for more people, id you wanna more challenge put the food sources y less thqt makes you uneable to take 80 berries since day 1 with wolfgang like you can today

In DS, even when you are experience, you must to effort a little to gather a lot of food in first days making crockpot so important to craft. Here, in dst, you can survive eating  only berries and carrots

Your idea its a good idea but unnecessary, making the food something complicate doesnt help. In middle and late game will be only something boring, you will have all the food you want . You will need more slots to eat all kind of food, making exploring a tedious thing

Archived