Hamlet and Shipwrecked

I consider the reason why Klei don't connect Hamlet and Shipwrecked world with ROG in Don't Starve Together like Don't Starve. I think Klei should do this soon, I guess it will a new experience for player. I look forward to hearing from you Klei. 

This idea has been passed around on the forums before, and I believe the reason it remains this way is because if they were to port the DLC over to DST it would take loads of effort and then players would no longer have incentive to purchase the standalone singleplayer Don't Starve.

There are mods available for you on the workshop to play recreations of the Shipwrecked DLC in DST, such as the "Island Adventures" mod.

Hope this helps!

45 minutes ago, Axelocke said:

This idea has been passed around on the forums before, and I believe the reason it remains this way is because if they were to port the DLC over to DST it would take loads of effort and then players would no longer have incentive to purchase the standalone singleplayer Don't Starve.

Yep, and even if they were ported to DST then Klei would have to either:
- make the DLCs paid, which would split DST's player base between those who do and don't have them.
- make the DLCs free, and then rely on skins to make money off of them.
Neither of which are appealing options.

Two problems:

-They would have to balance quite a lot around multiplayer and it wouldn't just be the same. DST isn't just RoG with other players. It's RoG but modified for multiplayer.  

-Look, I get that DST is pretty much a successor to DS but can we just stop adding all the content DS has to DST? The only reason to buy DS nowadays is mostly just for Hamlet and Shipwrecked. Add those to DST and DS pretty becomes completely pointless to play. Just enjoy some of the content in a singleplayer game. No need for multiplayer in everything.

I'm sorry if this was a bit toxic.

1 minute ago, sudoku said:

Plus I'm sure you'd get players who feel the content was being forced on them, which is a shame.  

How so?

We have something called PORTALS in DST, So far Portals only take you to the Gorge and the Forge (both of Which we’re limited time events that never really saw the light of day outside of PC but still..)

Surely something called Celestial Portal leads Somewhere right???

Also- Theres such a Thing in Single Player DS called the Skyworthy & the Seaworthy.

A Device Similar to a Portal that transfers your character between Vanilla DS, Shipwrecked & Hamlet.

The REAL Reason Shipwrecked and Hamlet aren’t just direct ports into DST is because DST only burrows some features of those expansions, but improves upon them.

DST Boat Cookies> Shipwrecked Boats.

Thats not Opinion.. Thats a Fact.

SW Boats were technically just water shoes that let you cross Water, DST Boats need Anchors, Masts, Steering Wheels and behave entirely different.

I wouldn’t want the entirety of SW or Hamlet added anyway, only a handful of mobs or features such as cough cough POISONOUS SPIDER WARRIORS.

Among other things..

1 hour ago, Mike23Ua said:

Surely something called Celestial Portal leads Somewhere right???

According to the Developers, the way the Celestial Portal works is that you switch with another character on another island.

Say we have Island A with Winona, Island B with Wigfrid. When they use the Celestial Portal they switch around. That's where the Celestial Portal leads, to other survivors in other Worlds.

2 minutes ago, Hornete said:

According to the Developers, the way the Celestial Portal works is that you switch with another character on another island.

Say we have Island A with Winona, Island B with Wigfrid. When they use the Celestial Portal they switch around. That's where the Celestial Portal leads, to other survivors in other Worlds.

I’ve heard this, but now that they’ve revisited adding more core content to the game, is it safe to assume that this portal will eventually lead us Elsewhere?

3 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

I’ve heard this, but now that they’ve revisited adding more core content to the game, is it safe to assume that this portal will eventually lead us Elsewhere?

If so, I'd rather the Ancient Gateway lead us somewhere else.

Maybe even an option to upgrade the Ancient Gateway into a Celestial Gateway in the future :shock:

7 minutes ago, Hornete said:

If so, I'd rather the Ancient Gateway lead us somewhere else.

Maybe even an option to upgrade the Ancient Gateway into a Celestial Gateway in the future :shock:

What if both lead to different Areas?

Someone said this game runs on shards, and the reason caves and ruins are in the same area is so that the game wouldn’t need 3 different shards.

I don’t know what exactly a “Shard” is, but what I do know is back when I played Borderlands in 2009 that it’s world was broken up into “Areas” that the players had to load into to explore.

Borderlands was also a 4 player Coop game and the way that it handled its biomes was that all the players had to be standing within the “Activation” Area to transfer into a new territory.

If they did DST just like this- It would no longer require “Shards” Whatever those are... and would Instead allow us a near infinite amount of potential new worlds to explore.

Because instead of trying to have all the data loaded from the Surface, Caves, Ruins Etc....

once you activate the Portal you go to a brand new area and those other sections are no longer in the “Shards”

Hopefully you understand what I’m trying to say without sounding like a complete idiot. haha

11 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

Hopefully you understand what I’m trying to say without sounding like a complete idiot. haha

You can think of a shard as a server, The Forest shard is a server, and the caves shard is another server.

I think you're trying to say why not put all of these worlds in the same shard, but seperate them really far away. 

Theoretically, that can work. But different worlds need different components initalised and that's why they are seperated, the "caves" prefab world have other components initalised such as Depth worms attacking, the ruins nightmare cycle, the way light works, the empty void and all that.

The forest shard and world will need to have hound attacks, the ocean, many different types of spawners and all that differently initalised.

The caves and Ruins were able to be combined for DST since they are pretty similar.

That's why we have different shards/servers to run the different worlds.

Actually I believe I can clarify now that you’ve explained it better-

The Surface World and Lunar Island is One “Shard”

Caves and Ruins is Another “Shard”

but What if When we activated the Ancient Gateway or Celestial Portal those lead to brand new Servers- With their own sets of “Shards”

Here I’ll just make something up-

Celestial Heavens would be the Surface world, you will fight flying mobs and walk on clouds, Celestial Star would be the Lunar Island these would have some new mobs that don’t fly Biome would probably be very bright or something.

On the Star Biome we would find Dimensional Rifts (Aka Sinkholes) We can mine open and travel through a cool Space Rift portal to the Moon itself.

The Moon would Celestial Heavens Version Of Caves and Ruins.

Maybe we can have Lunar creatures representing the light side of the moon, and Shadow creatures on the darkside of the moon (ruins) 

This would be only two sets of Shards.. because Celestial replaces Vanilla DST completely...

TL:DR 

Your no longer loading Vanilla DST, Lunar Isle, Caves and Ruins. 

All that stuff is gone and replaced by Celestial Heaven, Celestial Star, Light Moon, Dark Moon.

Yes you can still go back to Vanilla DST but it would require all players in the server to be standing within the activation area (to Agree to swap servers)

4 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

TL:DR 

Your no longer loading Vanilla DST, Lunar Isle, Caves and Ruins. 

All that stuff is gone and replaced by Celestial Heaven, Celestial Star, Light Moon, Dark Moon.

Yes you can still go back to Vanilla DST but it would require all players in the server to be standing within the activation area (to Agree to swap servers)

That means running a server will run three or even four shards. One for Vanilla Overworlds & Lunar Island, one for Caves and ruins, and one or two for your proposed celestial biomes... if i've interpreted it correctly...

What a nightmare that would be on any processor!

17 minutes ago, GetNerfedOn said:

That means running a server will run three or even four shards. One for Vanilla Overworlds & Lunar Island, one for Caves and ruins, and one or two for your proposed celestial biomes... if i've interpreted it correctly...

What a nightmare that would be on any processor!

No no no ugggh. Vanilla DST ends when you enter Celestial.

Its no longer loading any of that data, it’s basically it’s own World. Where you have 5 different game saves (on Xbox One) Vanilla takes up one save slot, Celestial takes up Another.

The only thing that transfers between the other worlds is player Inventory.

Your Thinking it’s like DSTs current setup where players all players can be all over everywhere like for example Someone’s in a forest on the Surface, Another Dude is out mining Lunar Isle, The Third Player is spelunking in Caves While that other dude is off in the Ruins.

EVERYONE in the server has to transfer to the new Map, Or No one goes.

7 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

No no no ugggh. Vanilla DST ends when you enter Celestial.

Its no longer loading any of that data, it’s basically it’s own World. Where you have 5 different game saves (on Xbox One) Vanilla takes up one save slot, Celestial takes up Another.

The only thing that transfers between the other worlds is player Inventory.

Your Thinking it’s like DSTs current setup where players all players can be all over everywhere like for example Someone’s in a forest on the Surface, Another Dude is out mining Lunar Isle, The Third Player is spelunking in Caves While that other dude is off in the Ruins.

EVERYONE in the server has to transfer to the new Map, Or No one goes.

So you're saying it works like a teleportato or a merged Sw/hamlet save?

Still, this is way too good on paper, but I stand by my thought that it'll be very complicated to code in execution...

6 hours ago, GetNerfedOn said:

So you're saying it works like a teleportato or a merged Sw/hamlet save?

Still, this is way too good on paper, but I stand by my thought that it'll be very complicated to code in execution...

No doubt for sure.. But I’m pretty sure if Klei was able to do it once already with the Skyworthy & Seaworthy in Single Player DS, That they have already looked into and experimented around with it to see if it’s possible to do inside DST.

They even admitted themselves in a post somewhere about things they still want to do with the game when & If they can find a way.

One such feature is Crossplatform Gameplay so that Console players who are limited to worlds with only 6 players allowed in them can join and play on those 20 player servers ran on PC.

On 1/2/2020 at 2:47 AM, Axelocke said:

There are mods available for you on the workshop to play recreations of the Shipwrecked DLC in DST, such as the "Island Adventures" mod.

Hope this helps!

How about Klei should combine DS and DST together. I mean Klei could increase their price, but players just need to buy only game instead of buying 2 games like nowadays. In additions, Klei should develop game more and more like Don't Starve Shipwrecked Together and Don't Starve Hamlet Together. This would help players have a lot of options to choose which one they really want to play and players would have so many new experience. Finally, Klei also would earn more and more money from this idea like they could make new skins for Hamlet world and Shipwrecked world or new skins for characters of Hamlet world and Shipwrecked world. As I know, now these skins don't appear.

Sorry about my English if it's not good at all.

I look forward to hearing from you

On 31/1/2020 at 2:14 PM, thinguyen said:

I consider the reason why Klei don't connect Hamlet and Shipwrecked world with ROG in Don't Starve Together like Don't Starve. I think Klei should do this soon, I guess it will a new experience for player. I look forward to hearing from you Klei. 

if they put hamlet and sw stuff for free who will buy those dlc?

i like to have differents dont starve experience

4 hours ago, thetricker1 said:

if they put hamlet and sw stuff for free who will buy those dlc?

i like to have differents dont starve experience

I don’t really agree with this though, sure defiantly don’t just directly port SW and Hamlet straight over into DST.. But what they need to do is add some of the more unique enemy mobs from those dlc’s into DST, plus a few completely new ones just for DST.

Hell outside of SW & Hamlet DST has its own unique New Biomes and Mobs with the Gorge and Forge Events.

the Gorge was on Xbox For I would say maybe a week or so and then it was gone, Forge Content However I’m not even sure if it was EVER Available outside of PC (anyone know for sure on this?) 

And it is extremely Depressing if you ask me because all we have left of it are skins, profile icons, portrait frames & Vignettes Of Content that Once or in some of our cases.. Never Was.

So my hopes for 2020: is that they’ll make that content available to play outside of limited time events.

Either by making it an event I can choose to play such as hosting a Hallowed Nights server in July.. OR by Adding Islands out into DSTs oceans based on them.

Archived