We have Squids now, but where is Ink ?

ADM

Okay so this will be long and I know this is the start of the beta and some stuff is still very buggy or not implemented / finished yet... But I'm questioning myself on the topic of Skittersquids, and especially their purposes.

Yes, they're adorable :squid.gif.472e4d34063637c095a1d72c7f74e5b8.gif And can also drop lightbulbs (33%), making it the first method to get lanterns with servers without caves !

But since I play with caves I don't care much. Also, they're not hostile to players so this is not something that will bother us here except that they're stealing our damn fish while we're fishing, which is actually supposed to be the way to catch them but the game is crashing at this specific point.

Well... I believe this is where squids are going to be actually interesting... and my question is : What fished Skittersquids will do ?

ink.png.35c6bdf4ff5c21b425c07242ec501c79.pngInk ! ink.png.35c6bdf4ff5c21b425c07242ec501c79.png

We know that those cuties can produce Ink, and spit it from the beak on top of them to blur your vision on the screen (beautiful). So Ink is a thing ! And Squid Ink can be SUCH a prised resource to survivors, I have many reasons to hope for this item to come to the game :

The most obvious is writing :

This sort of Ink has been used for pens and of course : Quills ! We only have for now a Feather Pencil that use charcoal and I assume this might not be the most durable thing in the world to write with, so just like how the update did with the Fishing Rod and it's Sea edition, I'd love to have an advanced writing item with durability using Ink. Funny thing is that my buddy Maxwell is also willing for it :

featherpencil.png.fbb59db64598093a13f552125c4f511b.png  ”Not as elegant as a quill and inkwell, but it'll do.

malbatrossfeather.png.fe2be4b6d22980187f00a964a3e41bfa.png And now that I think about it, the recipe of this item should be using the Malbatross Feather, let's give some love to boss loots.

Of course you might wonder why you'd need more use for a pen, then... maybe it's time for a little upgrade of the Cartographer Desk then ?

If you think about it, you can use a single Feather Pencil to write the hole map, regardless of the amount you've explored. Including : land, ocean, all icons.

I'm not very asking for a nerf here but... quite something logical and interactive with advanced resources and progression thingy, look :

featherpencil.png.fbb59db64598093a13f552125c4f511b.pngpapyrus.png.6a1f76b7a76fcb7f909bc3a6065bac56.png = mapscoll1.png.7f0471bbc491e74d5820011a1a5be0dd.png / mapscoll2.png.30819419aed79ab381cf3a4b06e55af9.png Forest and caves map that show you the explored land and Icons

ink.png.35c6bdf4ff5c21b425c07242ec501c79.pngpapyrus.png.6a1f76b7a76fcb7f909bc3a6065bac56.png = mapscoll3.png.58fd7679d007ef85669d248f8cf34676.png Ocean map that show you explored seas and islands (note : the entire Moon Island have a tag that might be used here)

^ Since my mouse is now officially broken and I can't draw, please imagine this is the Quill item :wilson_incredulous:

cartographerdesk.png.021874260ebd2e402f9012a74a23f5ab.pngink.png.35c6bdf4ff5c21b425c07242ec501c79.png = Imagine having the ability to place your maps on the Cartographer's Desk, and then using your Quill to actually write some stuff on it.

Just like this :

map.thumb.png.3c32ebb9bba137e61c01bc1192a43566.png

So players that examine the Desk can see all the stuff you've put on it. Let's be clear, this will turn cartography in a very funny and interesting things on public servers.

Cooking (of course)

Have you ever tried Squid Ink pasta ? I hope you did, the Ink make everything sea flavoured and I just think it's awesome !

Now, how shall we applies it ?

• Recipe ingredient ? I'm not sure we need to do specific recipes out of Ink unless we get a cooking update based on seafood
  • Or another Warly powerful "spice" ? Eh... I don't know if it's fair to keep upgrading Warly power from being an absolute unit but...
  • Maybe we can just allow every player to sauce their plate with it ? That apply a debuff on the eater ?

There's quite a lot of possibilities and I don't know yet which is best, clearly, Ink will be a fine addition to the cooking catalogue if you ask me.

And yes I will fish squids every nights if it worth it ! Anyway, they're as now a formidable creature in the appearance, seeing them lurking in the ocean with this big glowy eye for the first time really got me, and I wasn't expecting them to walk on land, evolution is on the right way !

And you ? What will you do if you had a big Ink sac ?

Well that's pretty much it ! I'm gonna be fair, I'm asking for way too much and I'm conscious or it, but still, I hope you enjoyed the read of my dreams on squids and ink, have a nice day, and please devs... take care of yourself. :)

Yea, I've personally been hoping for the desk to be expanded into a Drafting Desk or something similarly named, where you could select what you want to write/draw with more specificity. Being able to map out other worlds like Caves without actually going there, drawing up Blueprints for items that you already know the recipe for...
Now that we have Sails, maybe some basic black ink designs to scribble on them?

1 hour ago, ADM said:

We know that those cuties can produce Ink, and spit it from the beak on top of them to blur your vision on the screen (beautiful). So Ink is a thing ! And Squid Ink can be SUCH a prised resource to survivors, I have many reasons to hope for this item to come to the game :

I would love it if caught Skittersquids had bird cage mechanics if placed in a Scale-o-matic. You would have to feed it a certain amount of fish for it to give you ink and maybe trinkets since squids like hoarding objects?

Also i would love if the ink was like oil or tar in a way and can be used for new boat lamps and a new lighthouse structure.

Some use of ink that i can think of:

Spoiler

-to create some painting to decorate your base with. You could place an easel on the floor, put a canvas on it and paint it with the ink to get a random painting. Upon creation the painter gains like 15 sanity and the canvas acts like a sanity station of like 3-5 sanity/min if you stand close to it. The painting would deteriorate overtime and would require to change the canvas every now and then.

Spoiler

-To create some dye to change the color of certain object

Spoiler

-To create a trowable ball of ink that can disorient ennemies and make them lose aggro on you. (a bit like the squid do to us)

Here's my small ideas, they probably  could be improve and if you have any feedback let me know :)

Imagine if you could combine Ink with something else like Nightmare Fuel to craft a new item that lets you change the skins of items and constructions after they've been made or placed. Like if you don't like the crockpot skin you could use this item on the crockpot to change it to one of your skins.

Or combine this hypothetical item with bird feathers to change the colour of gems to the colour of the feather

I think it's time to inject paint. For example, to color your Beefalo and not mix it up with another. I like the idea of advanced cartography. The idea of using the Malbatross Feather is great! A new meaning will appear to look for this restless bird.

We have Squids now, but where is base?

In all seriousness, I'd love the ability to add map markers. I don't think I've seen anyone even build the Cartographer's Desk in a public game, anything to make it more appealing to use would be a big plus.

Would be hilarious if you could catch a squid while fishing and then it spits Ink in your eye, the Ink blots up your screen so you can barely see to fight and it’s pheromones attract hostile fish like Sharks, Electrical Eel or Jelly Fish. HAHAHA!! That would be epic.

Also Ink would be used to craft pen with.

15 minutes ago, Slagger said:

How about making colored ink? So we can color our faces like forge, so it's will fix the problem of same characters in one game. 

Skins exists and putting your mouse over someone and/or examining to see their name is not really something that hard or time wasting to do.

Same characters aren't a problem.

Archived