Better foods for Wurt?

I've been playing as Wurt and I enjoy her as a character. It's just that there's very little recipes that can keep her hunger at bay enough. I know durians are her favorite and mandrake soup is really good for health and hunger but meals like Meatballs aren't really an option for her. 

I know Meatballs are broke as hell but there should be a vegetarian equivalent that can fill her to adleast half hunger. Yes I also know that she gains more benefits from vegetables and vegetarian foods.

Most of my Wurt runs have to end because I'm not playing with a wormwood or I don't have time to farm for specific seeds.

Wurt gets 33% more hunger points from vegetables/fruits and this makes her get alot of hunger points from simple juicy berries and carrots.

And never waste a mandrake with soup,seriously,pan flute is way more useful than filling some stats.

If you're struggling to feed her,just make a bunnymen farm,they give a lot of carrots.

If you don't want to have bunnymen for some reason,you can make bee boxes,honey is a ok food source in mid/late game.

I find Ratatouille to be her Meatballs. Good stats with her boost; they can carry you through the early game with easy to acquire ingredients.
As for the ingredients themselves? Mushroom forests in the caves for the tiny bit of vegetables actually required. Can be found quickly, farmed en-masse in one trip, and it's basically never-ending. With picking alone, it's pretty common to be able to get 40~ before the day/evening/night ends.
Eggs and Ice for filler. If you set up a bunch of Merm huts near Tentacles, you'll have meat to turn into eggs for a good while.
Otherwise, just farm more shrooms.

The shroom forest farming also covers your Health and Sanity needs; Blue for Health, Cooked Blue or Cooked Green for Sanity.

If you're using another source of veggies like random seeds, or the closest shroom forest is Red, Butter Muffins are actually a good healing source. Quick to eat in mid-combat, can be made with 2 Twigs, a crap Veggie and some Butterfly Wings.

Outside of that though...it's just a waiting game until you expand/get the higher tier resources.

Making farm plots and growing random random crops is actually pretty useful. Seeds drop constantly; I find them all over the world from people not picking them up when playing with others in the game.
There are several raw/cooked crop variants with good Hunger/Health values. Pumpkins are the best among the 'normal' crops that you're likely to get a lot of with random seeds. Raw Corn is also good; better to eat those two raw than in a dish.

As for Sanity, Melonsicles are a thing if you have Ice to spare.
Taffy is also good once you have Honey production going.
You can also look into the new non-Warly dishes that were added (several of which also give Health).
Spiraled Tubers are cheap and give 15 Sanity.
Creamy Potato Puree, Salsa Fresca...
I think the one I use the most for Sanity is Vegetable Stingers.

The merm king will give you a ton of kelp for fish. Also, if you dig up stone fruit or pick up the kelp stalks on lunar island, then you can replant them around your base, and both of them will regrow during winter, and they alone will be way more food than you will ever need. Bunny farms can work too if you don't want to find lunar island. 4.5 carrots gives wurt enough hunger for a full day, so if you just get 5-6 carrots a day from 3 bunnymen, then you should be able to stay full every day.

If it was me I'd just eat fire-cooked fruits and vegetables from farms, unless I needed a more specific crockpot food effect. Cactus fruit isn't a bad idea, particularly since lots of servers put the main base in the oasis area anyway and even the ones that don't will usually have a secondary summer base there.

On 11/8/2019 at 7:37 PM, maradyne said:

I find Ratatouille to be her Meatballs.

Unless you're abusing ice and doing something like 1 mushroom 3 ice, Ratatouille comes out as a negative hunger value compared to the food put into it.

Ratatouille = 25 Hunger

4 carrots = 50 hunger

3 uncooked berries and 1 carrot = 46.875 Hunger

Uncooked mushrooms are 12.5 but obviously come with caveats.

Even 1 carrot and 3 ice = 19.4

That's only 1.2 times the value.

A single cooked carrot gives you 3 hp, 3 ice gives 1.5 hp, ratatouille only gives you 3 hp. Plus 5 sanity, I guess.

(Wurt's bonus to vegetables is irrelevant here, since that scaling is applied to all the ingredients as well)

Hardly even close to most optimal meatball recipe, which is 1 monster meat and 3 ice = 25.65

Compared to meatballs = 62.5 hunger.

That's 2.4 times the value, not even accounting for the fact that monster meat is passively farmed/earned through other important tasks, and ice practically comes to you.

Plus it gives 3 hp and 5 sanity.

Monster meat comes out with negative health and sanity no matter what unless you're Webber, and 3 ice again gives you 1.5 hp.

The worst part of Wurt is that unless you're making Dragonpie's, you may as well eat everything raw.

Even then, just go for cooked eggplant and pomegranates over the pie for health, and mushrooms or cactus flesh for sanity, the crockpot is a bit of a waste.

4 hours ago, Ogrecakes said:

Unless you're abusing ice and doing something like 1 mushroom 3 ice, Ratatouille comes out as a negative hunger value compared to the food put into it.

Yea, Ice in Winter, otherwise Eggs for filler using the constant stream of free MM/Frog Legs/excess Fish.
And I didn't mean that they were equivalent to meatballs hunger-wise; just that they're an easily spammable hunger food for her that you can dump crap foods into for decent food. Namely all of the meat products.
Even if you don't have a Wicker to replace the Tentacles, or want to base outside the Swamp, Merm gatherings can also have Spiders, Pigs, ect planted in the center. Merm village is always putting out meat.

Of course crops can be significantly better, but...that also applies to any other player besides Wigfrid. Pumpkins/Eggplant/Raw Corn are better eaten by themselves than in pretty much any dish, Meatballs and Ratatouille both included. Not to mention the Health crops.
Just depends on how early you want to set the farms up.

Personally, early-mid game, I'll start with Carrots from early resource gathering as the one required veggie, then just do a Blue Shroom run for it now and then. A stack or two is quick to farm and lasts a long time with all the filler, raw and cooked forms cover Health and Sanity.
That leaves time to focus on Merm expansion/Merm King supplies.

1 berry + 3 ice = fistful of jam, 50 hunger
1 veggie + 3 ice = ratatouille, 37.5~(?) hunger

For Winter, you can easily just wait before picking your berries, or you could just go down into the caves every once in a while for a few mushrooms.

Archived