Cobblestones should have higher turf priority

Considering how expensive cobblestones are to craft it's a shame that they have the absolute lowest priority of any turf in the game, including barren. This means that the only way to get a pathway that's not a sliver is to double up on the cobble placement, two wide. This makes the application of roads in bases even more expensive and cumbersome.

I propose cobble be made to have a priority slightly lower than other man-made turfs such as carpet and wooden flooring. At least this way I could create a true 1-tile wide cobble road by sandwiching it between lanes of natural or barren turf. But it makes no sense to me that a crafted turf should have a lower priority than natural turfs, much less a tile which doesn't contain any turf at all.

56 minutes ago, Ezaroth said:

I don't understand why they need to have priorities in the first place. Just make them all the size of 1 tile.

Due to how the tiles are sliced, structured and how texture masking works anything else presumably had their drawbacks. Either in the workload, (performance too I assume), and just doing it the minecraft way of sudden harsh square transitions was something they probably didn't find pretty enough.

EDIT: Just to throw in my two cents as well. I've had my own many many personal disagreements with the decisions regarding what tile goes over what. But after learning about the grid bleeding limitations cobblestone road is not one of them any longer. I've always interpreted it as an old overgrown kind of path. The way grass frames it makes sense to me. I wouldn't put a road path on-top of grass personally, I would draw the grass as going over the edges of the road as it does in-game. It suggests indentations, like how path blocks in minecraft steep one pixel.

It's a shame the slicing makes lower tiles look absolutely squinty, did roads really have to be the absolute lowest priority? Even lower than no tile? That's bizarre to me, but maybe even then- the developers always intended for roads to be interpreted as pretty deep indentations into the ground no matter what you put around it? Suppose it just feels weird to put something on nothing to make it visually steep even lower than before.

5 hours ago, JazzyGames said:

This means that the only way to get a pathway that's not a sliver is to double up on the cobble placement, two wide. This makes the application of roads in bases even more expensive and cumbersome.

The thing is, you're seeing it as smaller than it actually is. Look at this image:
image.png.d130666e49add4f05c0d2f618d9c6b8a.png
You see the black square around the cobblestone? The cobblestone technically takes up that entire tile, which means the speed boost will apply as long as your character is within that black square even if it doesn't look like it should.
It'd be just as confusing if the turf had higher priority, too. The stone road turf in Hamlet visually takes up more than a full tile, but the speed boost still only applies to the tile it's actually placed on, and so you'll lose that speed boost if you're on the edge of the road.

5 hours ago, Bird Up said:

b.thumb.png.db1499df9d9e75de3f48f4cb372ec1b9.png

Pebble beach is lower priority.

image.thumb.png.ea603d21af1c677544b3b6556f83d983.png

Turns out the change is exclusive to the beta branch. Though I assume that means it will be coming to the main branch once the beta is finished.

Anyway, my opinion on the whole matter is that I don't really think cobblestones should have higher priority. The fact that they're always the same width, no matter what turf they're next to, lets them have a (somewhat) consistent look no matter what you're putting them on. I think it would be great if we got another kind of road turf with high priority (like Hamlet's city road turf) but I think making cobblestones have priority over some other turfs could be problematic (to me, at least).

16 hours ago, Sunset Skye said:

You see the black square around the cobblestone? The cobblestone technically takes up that entire tile, which means the speed boost will apply as long as your character is within that black square even if it doesn't look like it should.
It'd be just as confusing if the turf had higher priority, too. The stone road turf in Hamlet visually takes up more than a full tile, but the speed boost still only applies to the tile it's actually placed on, and so you'll lose that speed boost if you're on the edge of the road.

I am aware that the effects of cobble apply to the entire tile regardless of overlap. It is a purely aesthetic change that I advocate.

4 hours ago, Electroely said:

The fact that they're always the same width, no matter what turf they're next to, lets them have a (somewhat) consistent look no matter what you're putting them on.

I like having that in a turf as well; I just don't think it should necessarily be the most expensive turf in the game. Marsh turf, rocky turf, beach turf, or even barren turf would fill that role just fine by me.

16 hours ago, Starlogy said:

make it so turfs put down by a player have a higher priority than if it were naturally generated?

Exactly. That happens to be the case for other manmade turfs; I don't understand why cobble is the exception.

4 hours ago, metallichydra said:

maybe its so we can have small roads? if we want a bigger road, we can put 2 next to each other.

What are these weird wiggly avatara taking over the forums? I remember you from ONI section, you didn't wiggle before! D:<

(Why do they all have the same outfit.  Which character was that originally?  Is that the Hat Girl from A Hat in Time?) In my case I was kinda quoting Jacksepticeye on the "dancing fever of the night" thing.  In his first episode of DST with Robin, towards the end (starting around 14:30) we get this:

ROBIN:  It's very dark.  It's very very very dark.  OH NO!  Something bit me!

JACK:  Was it...the Dancing Fever of the Night?

ROBIN:  I dunno!  I don't have--I died.

pixl was killed by Darkness.  He became a spooky ghost!

JACK:  (reading) ...was killed by Darkness.  Oh.  'Cos you didn't have a LIGHT.

ROBIN:  (in bug-eyed (I imagine, anyway) disbelief) Darkness KILLS you?!  I didn't know!

JACK:  Yeah, I probably should've mentioned that that's why you need a light at nighttime.

ROBIN:  Oh I thought that was just to _see_ ("stuff")!

And so, Charlie takes down yet another noob.  : P

It's kinda too bad they stopped their playthrough so early; Jacksepticeye's original DS videos were kind of how I both discovered him _and_ what the game was really like, and he skipped straight to Shipwrecked back in the day.  So...going to DS_T_ in 2017, not only the A New Reign, but the RoG stuff was all new to him!  Would've loved to see more reactions to it.  Like, he didn't even know about the new seasons!  I LOVE seeing people encounter spring and summer for the first times.  >:D 

ANYway.  I'm all for cobblestone looking more like the proper roads that the map _already_ has when you put YOURS down.  I tried making a road to my favourite supply area once and it was so wiggly and dumb looking, it was barely worth all the materials it took.

...Notorious

On 10/1/2019 at 11:27 PM, Bird Up said:

The lunar beach turf is actually lower priority than cobblestone and complements it quite nicely.

On 10/2/2019 at 4:02 AM, Sunset Skye said:

The thing is, you're seeing it as smaller than it actually is. Look at this image:
image.png.d130666e49add4f05c0d2f618d9c6b8a.png

These could be posted in unknown mechanics thread

Archived