Woodie - the first ever Canadian goose that CANNOT swim nor fly

I see these animals are symbols of Canadian animals from where Woodie is from. If so, it makes no sense (both in reality and in gaming mechanism ) that his goose form cannot swim across the sea nor fly over a gap. At the cost of 30 health, all the hunger, 3 monster meat and we get to run slight faster for 90 seconds??? After acquiring walking cane, such an advantage of this transformation cannot be justified by the resource requirement

I believe that even after the re-work, he will still remain an unpopular choice among players, which is not what Klei nor we players are after. If I may suggest, I believe the following modification will make him more playable:

1. Sanity loss of transformation is fine, but 30 health penalty is too much, perhaps only his moose form can be justified for such a price.

2. the transformation last too short, instead of draining slower, players should be able to "refill" the beaverness meter by doing the desired actions of each animal, beaver, chop, mine etc. Moose, fight, charge, Goose, swim, fly?? and the cursed form should be able to last until a new day when it is forced back (just like werepig)

3. Make Lucy upgradable or transformable too would be nice

I am happy to discuss with you if you dont mind share your opinions.

1 minute ago, Warbucks said:

swimming is too op so they cant add it or it would break the game how op it would be

In the past it might be, but now we have boat anyway, so whats the problem one of the char can him(it)self go in the water?? If not, why goose???

The reason why swimming is probably going to be a big no no is probably in a scenario, players find the lunar island offshore and everyone begs the woodie player in the group to swim there he does and let's say he transforms back, now he's stranded with no food or supplies to get back and everyone dont have enough materials to build a boat and safely make it there. Or another example a new player playing as woodie finds out he can swim so he decides to go out as far as possible into the deep sea and once he turns back and drowns finding out he lost all his loot and inventory that person would be pretty ticked/embarrased.

swimming for humans would be too op because it would make summer so easy and you could also escape very easily from fights with mobs which can't swim.

if just the goose could swim then when Woodie reverted into human form he would drown and then freeze and starve to death at the same time so it would be super useless.

for those reasons klei will probably never add swimming cause it would be too op and break the game balance

I would like if goose would be able to fly short distances over water (or deeps in caves), similar to the mechanic when you are jumping between boat and land (but in this case from land to land). So you could use goose to take shortcuts, if the gap between lands is short enough. Maybe goose could also be able to fly over walls and fences.

11 minutes ago, Superwolfkid said:

The reason why swimming is probably going to be a big no no is probably in a scenario, players find the lunar island offshore and everyone begs the woodie player in the group to swim there he does and let's say he transforms back, now he's stranded with no food or supplies to get back and everyone dont have enough materials to build a boat and safely make it there. Or another example a new player playing as woodie finds out he can swim so he decides to go out as far as possible into the deep sea and once he turns back and drowns finding out he lost all his loot and inventory that person would be pretty ticked/embarrased.

It's a game where instead of living and learning, you Die and learn. That person will die out in the ocean or on the lunar island, and they will learn, "Welp, probably shouldn't swim/fly out in the ocean and have my meter drain"

21 minutes ago, Superwolfkid said:

... sounds like a get gud problem.

Honestly this is a survival game. So if that happens and you die you learn to better prepare in the future. That's the entire point to the game.

1 hour ago, Warbucks said:

swimming for humans would be too op because it would make summer so easy and you could also escape very easily from fights with mobs which can't swim.

if just the goose could swim then when Woodie reverted into human form he would drown and then freeze and starve to death at the same time so it would be super useless.

for those reasons klei will probably never add swimming cause it would be too op and break the game balance

I dont quite understand your logic yet. whats the differences between "goose swims without caution of time and dies and drown" and another character build a boat and row without caution and collide and drawn or built fire camp and boat burnt and drawn"? It is part of the game, player need to plan and play with caution, otherwise they die! It happens every world every day. How is it super useless?

tbh on surface level playing Woodie I like goose quite a bit - at least much more than beaver form right now, which I truly have no use for (increased speed burst to scout at night with little hunger loss since I wait until almost starving VS what base Woodie does with penalties lmao)

But stepping back, in practical use Goose wouldn't be very useful past the first few days exploring and even then it can usually only cover one arm of an island looking for the lunar coast and stats aren't that worth it (in a controlled environment playing solo I was fine, but i.e underground I feel like Woodie would take too much for too little) so something needs to be done to extend it somehow

(edit: idea i found i quite liked is that Goose should be able to eat seeds to restore its meter - though I kinda want something universal all 3 forms can intuitively use)

anyways, for Goose I heartily agree, its main use is simply scouting and it should have an extra mechanic of flight. Not anything powerful, just basically the same UI as a Wortox souljump in a shortish radius of Woodie to cross gaps (with cooldown and pausing the meter drain momentarily)

on Woodie himself I maintain that his base form should be given a downside hopefully relevant to wood or Lucy, while he and his forms should regenerate health and gain speed during dark night including when underground (more when transformed) to actively encourage use of the forms at night (where night vision is valuable) and also compensate for the health loss of transforming conditionally but not the sanity loss. This doesn't have to be anything crazy, maybe a rate just enough to recover the amount lost to transform.

14 minutes ago, 359368170 said:

I am afraid weregoose is a poultry. But even poultry can swim. So it's a toy. That make sense.

I believe they are referring to Canadian goose, which alongside moose and beaver are symbolic Canadian animals. (Klei is a Canada company by the way)

18 hours ago, Warbucks said:

Now that woodie is made to be able to swim, so it seems my reasoning is more acceptable by Klei.

Archived