Salty Dog Content Suggestions

Recent news yesterday explained that RoT is being expanded on further with an update coming to the beta on Thursday.

Return of Them: Salty Dog

In addition to Woodie's refresh coming into the main game, the next part of our Return of Them content update will be coming to the beta branch (with Woodie playable there as well) on September 12th. We will have more details about it next Thursday, but in this update you will see a new boss, new items, a new creature and a new crafting resource. 

Most of the conversation thus far in light of the news has been on the Woodie refresh, but I'd like to think about where the new content is going.

The new boss is likely going to be this giant boi: (SPOILER)

marbitraus.thumb.gif.baf6ed01fccc32c5ae66608f277a103e.gif

The new boss looks awesome, and I'm excited for whatever they're planning for him/her. I hope there will be some combat over the water. If this boss isn't a fight over the water, that's fine, but in future content there has to be more added to the ocean to remove the stale feeling of slowly drifting through no where but sea stack cities for days.

The new item and crafting resource is what I am actually most excited for. I was disappointed in the crafting selection of the Lunar station, and have been hoping for a wider selection. The first RoT update didn't add any incredibly unique and powerful Lunar station items like the Ruins station has. The glass sword isn't much different from a dark sword, a moon axe is just a fancy axe to me, not much better than the Pick/Axe from the Ruins tab. I'd really like some creativity in new crafted items. Items like the Magiluminescence, Thulecite Club, and Starcaller Staff strike me as very unique, creative, and very useful items in the game which I hope we can see more of. The dangerous journey to the Ruins feels well worth it considering the valuable loot, but I can't say the same for the Lunar crafting tab.

Finally, there's going to be a new creature in the Salty Dog update. The new creatures on the island are very cool thematically. The salamanders introduce an interesting dominance AI where they fight for heat sources and the winner gains a fire ability and bares dragonfruit. The carrats on the island fit the theme of mutated animals while giving you food. Mutated hounds, penguins and spiders are more challenging versions of similar enemies. I like the direction of the new enemies. I think fish enemies, or a neutral fish mob would be a great addition to the game. What good is the fishing rod if it can't be used on the gigantic ocean? Adding more life and character interaction to the ocean I think is something desperately needed.

What are you guys hoping to see from the upcoming new content? Development like this has been rare in DST for many many months - we haven't had new content like this in a long time.

If it's salty dog maybe it will be dropping salt?

44 minutes ago, Bird Up said:

him/her

This is an important issue.

45 minutes ago, Bird Up said:

The dangerous journey to the Ruins feels well worth it considering the valuable loot, but I can't say the same for the Lunar crafting tab.

Lunar Island is calm so loot is worse.

I'm happy with whatever they give, I've adored all the additions in the last update. Farming Stone Fruit is fun, it allows us to make crazy stone bases now, the Moon Tools are really unique and a step in the right direction for more options, and sailing is awesome. But yes, I do hope there becomes more of an incentive to sail the seas, instead of one go. And I especially hope that making bridges out of boats will become discouraged at some point, because even though thats a wacky and fun thing to do, I feel like sailing will be more fun.

As a Wormwood main, I'm excited to see if this new crafting resource will be farmable or not. Thats been one of my favorite things lately.

20 minutes ago, Well-met said:

"Salty Dog" sounds like varg-related to me. A mutant varg?

I hope for something new, better than a mutant version of everything we already know. Why not anyway ? It makes sense that all animals near the moon island turns mutant, but as salamanders, a new one will be fresh.

Maybe a kind of hunt on moon biome, with traces like on main biomes.

6 minutes ago, Moonatik said:

I hope for something new, better than a mutant version of everything we already know. Why not anyway ? It makes sense that all animals near the moon island turns mutant, but as salamanders, a new one will be fresh.

Maybe a kind of hunt on moon biome, with traces like on main biomes.

How about a mutant varg, but like mutated to the point where it's a giant boss fight.

3 hours ago, Owlrus98 said:

I'm pretty hyped because I think now is the time we will FINALLY get to use the iridescent gem now.

...I've felt for a while that we might not actually get a use for the iridescent gem given just how much work goes into obtaining it and how few people will get it, let alone get it just to deconstruct and use somewhere else.
Unless, maybe, there comes to be another way of obtaining it. After all, it was charged by the power of the Moon...which we just so happen to have a huge chunk of now, not to mention an altar that can channel its energy.

So maybe not but also kind of yes?

On another note, with DST's history sharing a spotlight between Birds and the Moon, I wonder if our new flying birb friend might be a more direct connection, given the timing of its arrival.
...maybe it'll spawn similarly to Krampus, except in response to the player nabbing too many ocean fish.

Wait, if the dog standing next to Wilson in the RoT trailer were also caught up in that giant wave of ocean water, couldn't it be considered a Salty Dog?
WAS SIR FLOOFIMUS PRIME THE BIG BAD ALL ALONG?

Klei mentioned that the ToT update isnt content heavy and that the newer updates will be a lot better.

Also salt will be propably added due to warly's spices having a mysterious 4th spice that is called spice_salt, such a coincidence when the update is also called S a l t y dog 53ef346458017da2062aca5c7955946b.svg

3 hours ago, __IvoCZE__ said:

Klei mentioned that the ToT update isnt content heavy and that the newer updates will be a lot better.

Also salt will be propably added due to warly's spices having a mysterious 4th spice that is called spice_salt, such a coincidence when the update is also called S a l t y dog 53ef346458017da2062aca5c7955946b.svg

He just will get salt as spice and I'm sure it will be sea salt

I have big doubt that it will be Marbitross because of the Update Name not even being remotely close to what Marbitross is, mainly a Fish-Bird, aka anything btu K9 related, keep in mind most update names refer to a big feature in it, and if Marb. is not a big feature idk what is.

Also people seem to forget that this update is not only about the Lunar Island, but also about the ocean

1 hour ago, FuffledBeeQueen said:

I have big doubt that it will be Marbitross because of the Update Name not even being remotely close to what Marbitross is, mainly a Fish-Bird, aka anything btu K9 related, keep in mind most update names refer to a big feature in it, and if Marb. is not a big feature idk what is.

Also people seem to forget that this update is not only about the Lunar Island, but also about the ocean

JoeW said in the woodie refresh : In addition to Woodie's refresh coming into the main game, the next part of our Return of Them content update will be coming to the beta branch (with Woodie playable there as well) on September 12th. We will have more details about it next Thursday, but in this update you will see a new boss, new items, a new creature and a new crafting resource. 

13 minutes ago, WebberMain said:

JoeW said in the woodie refresh : In addition to Woodie's refresh coming into the main game, the next part of our Return of Them content update will be coming to the beta branch (with Woodie playable there as well) on September 12th. We will have more details about it next Thursday, but in this update you will see a new boss, new items, a new creature and a new crafting resource. 

And the point is..? I said that Update Names (Salty DOG) usually are tied to the key part of the update (BOSS), Marbitross would make 0 sense as a part of this update due to the name

4 hours ago, FuffledBeeQueen said:

And the point is..? I said that Update Names (Salty DOG) usually are tied to the key part of the update (BOSS), Marbitross would make 0 sense as a part of this update due to the name

The Sealnado was added to SW in "Wilbur Vs. The Volcano," which refers to the volcano.
The Bee Queen was added to DST in "Cute Fuzzy Animals," which refers to critters.
The Antlion was added to DST in "Against the Grain," which refers to the sandstorm.
The Ancient Fuelweaver was added to DST in "Heart of the Ruins," which refers to the atrium.

I understand your point, but an update containing a boss does not have to have a name related to said boss. Either way, "Salty Dog" doesn't necessarily refer to a dog, it's slang for ornery sailors. Even if the update does include an actual dog, we're getting a boss and a creature, so said dog could be the creature rather than the boss.

2 hours ago, Sunset Skye said:

I understand your point, but an update containing a boss does not have to have a name related to said boss. Either way, "Salty Dog" doesn't necessarily refer to a dog, it's slang for ornery sailors. Even if the update does include an actual dog, we're getting a boss and a creature, so said dog could be the creature rather than the boss

"Salty Dog" may be only new term for survivors (or one survivor).

I feel the update title refers to the survivors getting more used to the ocean, with the possible inclusion of the (already partially in the game) held back Salt seasoning type just for a title pun.
...well, actually, now that I consider it, salt would make sense in a light update to ocean living like what I'm expecting. Useful for preserving food on long ocean trips in pre-beequeen-genocide worlds. Potentially a good option for early-mid-game and nomads.

So this update is amazing. Woodie's update is really "ehh...", but Salty Dog is fantastic. I know Klei likes their puns, but I never assumed this update would have anything to do with dogs - it's just a sailor expression. I'm happy that so much of what I hoped for was actually included. Malbatross is indeed the boss, he is indeed a fight over water, we did in fact get a neutral fish mob AND a fish enemy. More life and character interactions have been added to the sea with these fish, salt rocks, and Malbatross. Obviously more work needs to be done, but this is a great start. Cool ocean-exclusive gear is my favorite kind of incentive to sail the ocean. We got a pretty darn useful armor piece in the cookie cutter helmet. The salt box is insanely good for big meat, cactus flesh, and koala trunks. For example, raw cactus expires in 10 days, but will expire in 40 day if in the salt box! 

I still believe the Lunar crafting station needs uniqueness. Still rooting for awesome moon gear from that crafting station.

I think we need more reasons to go sailing. Sure, the lunar island is interesting and has good itens, but then there's all the empty ocean.

How about random, small islands? Perhaps they could have some chests but lots of enemies? Or something like a koalafant hunt, but at the end there's a new island? Either way, that would make the ocean feel more alive.

8 hours ago, JackEpidemia said:

How about random, small islands? Perhaps they could have some chests but lots of enemies? Or something like a koalafant hunt, but at the end there's a new island? Either way, that would make the ocean feel more alive.

Ooh, something similar to the X Marks The Spot hunts. That would spice up sea travel a bit.

Salty Dog is the legit name of the next update? I want enemy boats loaded with canons on them (could be savage pig people or Merms Idc) 

but we need open sea naval combat where we can craft cannons and try not to be blown out the ocean by savage pirates that want to steal our loot. And yes I want hidden treasures like the X marks the Spot.

as I mentioned in another post I also want some pirate themed skin cosmetics, such as a storage chest reskinned to look like pirate treasure chest loaded full of gold coins inside, a Spear Reskin that turns it into a Pirate Cutlass sword, and a Straw Hat reskin That turns it into a captains pirate hat or either a red do-rag with a pirate eye patch. Reskin flying pet into parrot, and boat mast into the classic pirate skull and cross bones.

you know what.. actually? Give me all of that as a skin set and I’ll buy it, just don’t charge too much for it, the 3.99$ sounds about right, unless you want to also include full on pirate outfits for the entire DST character cast- Then id pay 12.99$-20$ on those

But does anyone else find it hilarious that Klei is doing these updates in September? And National Pirate Day (a real holiday btw) happens to fall in September? Coincidence?

I surely Think Not!! 

Archived