The amazing disappearing dreckos

I have a small room with a shearing station and a whole bunch of wild dreckos. I started with about 20 of them and I didn't pay attention to the room since it's all taken care of automatically.

A couple hundred turns later I look at the room again... and there are only 8 dreckos there. I had two glossies; those are gone too. There doesn't seem to be a reason for this. The temperature is acceptable (25C), they are wild so they don't need to eat, they aren't drowning, they are getting hauled to another room.

So why would they be disappearing on me?

Dreckos live 150 cycles. They will stop producing eggs when there's too many critters+eggs in the room (overcrowded means only when including eggs too, cramped when just critters, both have the same effect). You need 12 tiles per drecko, so 8 per a max stable size (96).

As mentioned overcrowded is no problem for reproduction, but cramped or confined is. Also for wild. Those are 3 different debufs with 3 different consequences.
I tested that few days ago in this thread:

wild vs tame

Cramped means there is egg and number of critters + eggs is too much for room size.

Also I believe you need them overcrowded to be true this: "they are wild so they don't need to eat"
I believe "happy wild" needs to eat to live long enough to lay egg.

Solution can be to remove eggs out of the room with autosweeper and then drop living critters back to room with pneumatic door automation. (like on top part of images in that linked post)

5 hours ago, nakomaru said:

Wild critters cannot starve...

That explains why my printing pod shove voles are still alive.

I had to go somewhere for 3 hours so spawned few wild stone hatchlings and let the game run for 65 cycles.

Spoiler

cycle83_test.thumb.png.aa38619c78456b0719adf1ac4aac9428.png

After that all where alive and all except confined hatch produced eggs.

Spoiler

cycle148b_test.thumb.png.a253313007117709197dbd90940bce8f.png

When I dropped in food happy wild hatch eat 1400kg sedimentary rock and pooped 700kg coal.
So they don't have bigger stomach, they just don't die even when empty (or don't start 10 days starving process).

Spoiler

cycle148_700kg_coal.thumb.png.10d153dc240ab09556d80043c90cf334.png

With so many in there, just one laying an egg (Thus granting "cramped" status) means that all others wouldn't unless the egg was removed. Cramped absolutely slaughters reproduction rate down to 0 or near 0. The room would eventually equalize at whatever the room could sustain, provided the timing between life cycle and reproduction cycle lined up and they didn't all end up dying before an egg was laid.

Mmmh I had a bug once when a hydrogen room filled with 70 or 80 glossy drecko, all from a fully automated drecko stable (auto-sweep of eggs, auto-delivery of 8th drecko if one's dead), they did disappear between few cycles.

I didn't noticed any change, was always chokablock each time I glance through it, for hundreds of cycles (could be more than a thousand) since one time during a camera traveling i discovered my room completely empty. Only eggs, dozens of it, were remaining.

tumblr_ooxf9yiQAQ1tjpka3o1_500.png

Archived