Forgetting to pause

I've gotten up to get a drink or something and suddenly ended up going for an hour drive for dinner.  One time I was sick but was tired of watching TV so I played and ended up falling asleep for the night.  8 hours later they were still kicking.

So long as renewable food and oxygen are set up, they should be fine unless there are construction projects to trap them or digging tasks in sand/regolith that bury them.  Bristles and electrolyzers make this easy so long as you dont over task your geysers.  Just make sure to have filtration medium available or you'll come back to a lot of mopping.

I've done it a few times where I set my whole map to be swept up and go to the store.  It isn't completely done when I get back, but it's much better than it was before.

If I were to unpause my current colony right now, assuming that none of them were to be entombed or anything like that, I think they'd survive virtually forever.  I've hooked up an electrolyzer to 2 AC units (which are under a steam turbine and are themselves made out of steel, it'll be virtually forever before steam is made though) so my base will be frosty for a long, long time.  Part of the electrolyzer's water supply (massive room of cool steam vent water) is going to a AETN which will automatically cool the water to sleet wheat temperatures.  I came up with this design myself, I'm pretty proud of it actually, here's the design.  I'll make a forum post explaining how it works.

20190820235802_1.thumb.jpg.aa8473c6626013969310605892e80490.jpg

Combined with fertilization they are sustaining my base quite nicely.  Once the phosphrorite runs out no more fertilizer, but that's a ways off as well.  The 500,000 kcal reserve would be 100 cycles worth of food.  Yes, I keep my populations small.

The most immediate issue I can see is the toilets getting full, my pee vat is over half full and I need to deal with the germs.

11 hours ago, Junksteel said:

Very often my dupes do even better without me. 

Tickled me right up :D

I like to think that as soon as we go afk, the dupes all breathe a sigh of relief - kick back, light a smoke, crack a beer - adjust *themselves* - let loose. I'm fairly certain I saw Stinky composting his filthy cigarette stubs the other day...

12 hours ago, nakomaru said:

Probably about 1000 cycles, then the game crashes.

Yeah, I've been having crashes since the last patch as well.  Things will run just fine, then suddenly... I'm back at the desktop with no clue what happened.  I reload and start again and.. things are fine once more.  I'd write up a bug report, but I haven't been able to isolate a cause other than "I wasn't at the computer at the time."

Archived