Compilation of Heat Management Threads After Launch

It seems that every day or two, another thread is started on how to manage heat post launch. This post is to compile those all in one place for easy access. If I missed one, sorry.  Please add it below. We can use a page like this to point people to lots of resources to read. 

In Launch Upgrade, it's easy :

- Cooling electrolyser/O2 : turbine / AT

- Cooling steam : turbine / AT

- Cooling water : turbine / AT

- Cooling generators / battery : turbine / AT

- Cooling Metal Refinery + 1200 Watts : turbine / AT

- Cooling Volcano : turbine / AT

- Cooling any 500°C geysers : turbine / AT

By grouping the heating source, you will have enough electricity for your AT given one can cool a LOT of things.

Fixing glitch that allowed us to have several possibilities to cool was not a got idea I think, or should have been add more reliable tool to produce cooling.

Steam Turbine is so easy to use and so early. With Drecko, it's really easy to have one around cycle 100-150. And we can auto-cool it with the AT.

Here's my suggestion :

- Reduce the cooling power of the Steam Turbine : 877 590 000 DTU/sec (789.83 KDTU/sec net) it's too much given it's produce electricity where AETN and WW consume ressources. It's 10 AETN and 67 WW.

- Add more tools for cooling.

I like the new turbine, but clearly too powerfull.

1 hour ago, SamLogan said:

Reduce the cooling power of the Steam Turbine : 877 590 000 DTU/sec (789.83 KDTU/sec net) it's too much given it's produce electricity where AETN and WW consume ressources. It's 10 AETN and 67 WW.

To run Steam Turbine effectively, you need steels, plastics, refined metals, a lot of research and complex setup so it's fair that it produces electricity.

I think instead of nerfing the STs, Klei should buff the AETN power 6-7 times (2/3 level of STs) or people would simply build more STs

More tools for cooling are always welcome

This one is a little bit silly, feasible, even though borderline exercise in futility.

The premise is to turn SHC and phase change in your favor. If new phase / element has different SHC, one can enjoy heat deletion ;) 

a) dump excess heat into melting this element, cooling melted phase will result in heat deletion

• glass @1126 (0.84) -> molten glass @1426*C (0.2)   -> glass (-76%) @1126*C
  • sand* (0.83) -> molten glass @1712*C (0.2)   -> glass (-76%) @1126*C
  • steel @1083 (0.49) -> molten steel @2426*C (0.386) -> steel (-21%) @1083*C
  • therm* (0.62) -> molten niobium @2476 (0.265) -> niobium(-57%) @2476*C
  • ethanol** (2.46) -> ethanol gas @78*C (2.148) -> ethanol (-13%) 

*non repeatable

** 6*C working range might be the mentioned exercise in futility, but if we were to (ab)use the 10% pipe mechanic ... 

b) dump excess heat into flaking/flash boiling this element, cooling phased element will result in heat deletion, because when instant phase change occurs, SHC of created element is used ( details here )

• molten salt @799*C (0.7)  -> salt gas @1464*C (0.88) -> molten salt (26%) @799*C
  • brine* @-22*C (3.4) -> steam @102*C (4.179) (23%)
  • oil* @-40*C -> petrol @400*C (4%)
  • petrol*

*not reversible, the flash boiling will take(delete) more heat rather than just regular boiling off

the whole process of crude oil ->  NG is amazing heat deletion :)

6 hours ago, flapee said:

** 6*C working range might be the mentioned exercise in futility, but if we were to (ab)use the 10% pipe mechanic ... 

I give you the COOL DRUNK

CoolDrunk.gif.9fe52ac367b2cef47aea050245e08048.gif

6* is actually enough :D 

14 hours ago, Aelfled said:

So there were 14 threads on cooling, and to stop more you post a 15th? :o

10 hours ago, mathmanican said:

Or rather I'm collecting them so that all the wisdom can be shared in one place.

Maybe I should start a "Compilation of Multiplayer Threads". :lol: 

:D

standards.png

6 hours ago, flapee said:

This one is a little bit silly, feasible, even though borderline exercise in futility.

The premise is to turn SHC and phase change in your favor. If new phase / element has different SHC, one can enjoy heat deletion ;) 

a) dump excess heat into melting this element, cooling melted phase will result in heat deletion

• glass @1126 (0.84) -> molten glass @1426*C (0.2)   -> glass (-76%) @1126*C
  • sand* (0.83) -> molten glass @1712*C (0.2)   -> glass (-76%) @1126*C
  • steel @1083 (0.49) -> molten steel @2426*C (0.386) -> steel (-21%) @1083*C
  • therm* (0.62) -> molten niobium @2476 (0.265) -> niobium(-57%) @2476*C

*non repeatable

b) dump excess heat into flaking/flash boiling this element, cooling phased element will result in heat deletion, because when instant phase change occurs, SHC of created element is used ( details here )

• molten salt @799*C (0.7)  -> salt gas @1464*C (0.88) -> molten salt (26%) @799*C
  • brine* @-22*C (3.4) -> steam @102*C (4.179) (23%)
  • oil* @-40*C -> petrol @400*C (4%)
  • petrol*

*not reversible, the flash boiling will take(delete) more heat rather than just regular boiling off

the whole process of crude oil ->  NG is amazing heat deletion :)

Ethanol is actually the one I would most be excited about there. You are talking about a temperature that's very easy to achieve with basic starting ores, with a gas that has similar thermal properties to hydrogen, and all we need to do is cycle its phases. Moreover, a passive ethanol phase cycling is something in an existing early-game heat deletion design that Brothgar's trying out in his Oasisse playthrough.

26 minutes ago, Nebbie said:

passive ethanol phase cycling is something in an existing early-game heat deletion design that Brothgar's trying out in his Oasisse

IMHO his build relies on elyzer heat deletion (with added bonus of O2 and energy), did not notice he explicitly went over the ethanol aspect. Would you mind pointing out the specific video please? His build efficiency could be improved at multiple stages. Sequester the 120*C ASAP, use the burned eth as well for heat deletion (on par with elyzer) so the cooling potencial would more than double. Not to mention the elyzer might be able to use 300*C water. Unfortunately, breaks after reload atm.... 

Anywho, the COOL Drunk is about cooling only at lesser tech and footprint without any external heat deletion

3 minutes ago, flapee said:

IMHO his build relies on elyzer heat deletion (with added bonus of O2 and energy), did not notice he explicitly went over the ethanol aspect. Would you mind pointing out the specific video please? His build efficiency could be improved at multiple stages. Sequester the 120*C ASAP, use the burned eth as well for heat deletion (on par with elyzer) so the cooling potencial would more than double. Not to mention the elyzer might be able to use 300*C water. Unfortunately, breaks after reload atm.... 

Anywho, the COOL Drunk is about cooling only at lesser tech and footprint without any external heat deletion

He seems to have forgotten to mention the ethanol in the original video, but he did mention it when he actually built it in a real game. The ethanol isn't meant to delete heat, but to help passively regulate the operational temperature limits of the system. That it also deletes heat too suggests there's ways to improve the system's cooling efficiency.

17 minutes ago, Nebbie said:

he did mention it when he actually built it in a real game. The ethanol isn't meant to delete heat, but to help passively regulate the operational temperature limits of the system.

I see no reason to use ethanol (in this case, as he is not phase cycling it :-/ ) over H2O gives you 2x the SHC, hence less of temp spike / gradient. Plus you get to extract more heat as you can run AT closer to 125*C.

Though I do have to agree with him on the fact that eth vapour looks damn cool

Archived