What does the lighting buff affect?

The release patch added a work speed buff for working in an area with light. For example, putting the research station next to the printing pod will make your research faster because of the light coming from the pod. As an experiment, I put a lamp next to an outhouse to see if it made a difference and it didn't seem to.

EDIT: it does affect outhouses! see posts below.

Is there any way to find out what activities are affected and which ones aren't? The buff seems to show on the duplicant in a lit area regardless of whether they are doing anything or it is having any effect. I'm pretty sure things like research or smelting are affected, but what about "non-machine" activities? Eating, showering, bathroom, harvesting plants, grooming critters, putting on an exosuit, using the jukebot/video games - it would be good to know which ones benefit from lighting.

30 minutes ago, VECCTOR said:

I put a lamp next to an outhouse to see if it made a difference and it didn't seem to

Our test seems to have a different result.

Spoiler

Same atlethic, same bladder level, and I even swap them around, Bottom side always win. It is only 15%, don't expect too much.

I believe all with "Lit Workspace" is boosted. I don't have proof for "all" though...

Spoiler

Screenshot_124.png.1e51e3477ec87e8fe6d4552f8cdf8cf3.png

Your test is much more scientific! Yeah it would be hard to see a difference on something that only lasts 10 seconds without doing a side-by-side comparison like that. And the disinfect goes faster too!

Thanks much.

From my own observations without having done solid testing it seems any activity with a progress bar that involves any type of building the buff is applied. Plants are considered buildings as well it seems. So activities such as sleeping, eating, running on hamster wheels are not affected but researching, using the lavatory, grilling, and harvesting are affected. Just to name a few examples.

So interior decor for the lamp should be a priority research.

But what about buildings like Oil Refinery?

Stinky got the bonus but there is no completion yellow bar to show the progression on the errand.

I think ir's fair to assume the 15% speed bonus apply only to tasks with pre defined duration like using bathrooms, shower or doing research.
image.thumb.png.e939066d8d3e5fd1e1e334e8407fce40.png

25 minutes ago, Junksteel said:

what about buildings like Oil Refinery?

Now that you mention it. Just like Saturnus said, only the one with progress bar. Without progress bar there is nothing to speed up, even though there is bonus, there is no timed work that can be discounted.

In easy words: only the one with yellow bar (and red for deconstruction)

Is there any yellow/red bar without buff applied?

Change setting (including 1s valve) is buffed. It seems there is no minimum time limit.

Spoiler

image.png.8e5dd5e95e6e39e5be2f2eccc8445a4d.png

5 hours ago, Saturnus said:

From my own observations without having done solid testing it seems any activity with a progress bar that involves any type of building the buff is applied. Plants are considered buildings as well it seems. So activities such as sleeping, eating, running on hamster wheels are not affected but researching, using the lavatory, grilling, and harvesting are affected. Just to name a few examples.

So interior decor for the lamp should be a priority research.

Jukebox has a progress bar but is not affected AFAIK

I tested digging and it is also faster in light.
Also tasks without progress bar could have bonus, for example refiling generators is faster in light.

There are many tasks that have "turned off" progress bar in code and only some have turned off light bonus.

https://youtu.be/Bhn_vD9IPDs
https://youtu.be/9W_epog6qjA

However when I tried mopping, even when it shows "Lit workspace" speed was same.

In code these things are specifically set to not have light bonus:
GeneShuffler, Phonobox, RelaxationPoint, ResetSkillsStation, Sleepable and SocialGatheringPoint

(Sleepable are probably beds, Phonobox is Jukebot for dancing)

Further experiments seem to indicate it *does* affect eating. The experiment is tricky though because if there are too many calories available or the dupes are close to being full, there is no way to control how they will eat in one sitting.

My experiment was set up the same as the toilet one above, but I made sure they were almost out of calories and used mush fry (only 1k calories) to make sure they both ate the entire thing at once. Even controlling for the increased pickup speed when lit (keeping the light turned off until they actually have the food) the dupe in the lighted eating area finished first.

On 8/9/2019 at 11:06 AM, Radam said:

Research station next to a printing pod is a great idea.

You can fit 2 research stations on the right and a super computer on the left. Also, if you leave at least 4 tiles of natural ground near the printing pod and trap a pip in the room - your scientists will work in a nature reserve

Archived