Can this game have a pretty instruction manual?

Looks like you came from Don't Starve. If you've figured out already, Klei likes not to hand-hold gamers and making them discover things by themselves, part of the experience.

You also have an in-game database.

Well the way to "beat" the game is to build a rocket and get to the temporal tear. So that is your over arching goal. But to do that alot of problems will pop up. Like your first major issues will probably food, oxygen and than heat. And each person has there own ways they like to tackle them. So my best advice is to play the game and set your own personal goals like this time I want to reach cycle 1000 or build a sour gas boiler (my personal goals). The thing that keeps me playing and has kept me playing since the thermal update a long time ago is the goal to set up a self sustaining colony. 

The community is very helpful as well.  Do you have any questions in particular or would like some early game tips?  There is a player who has posted their first six bases with others commenting and critiquing that you can get some useful info from.

4 hours ago, MycoLogical said:

no idea what I am doing in this game

just post your base pic here. there will be a bunch tips coming!
many of 2000+ hours always stay up here and hey, they already have a certified degree to share oni curriculum universe. ;)
klei expect us to fail many colony. they force us to do so.cheers!. 

6 hours ago, MycoLogical said:

I would like a pretty PDF.

I miss the good ole days when a new game would come with a nice thick manual. I'd sit down as a kid and read the manual while my brothers played the game.  Then a few hours later, after digesting the manual, I'd have fun clobbering them. Good times.  I generally use wikis now to get the scoop on games. However, the current version of the wiki still needs lots of work. Currently you'll find some useful info in there, but often opinion about what the game "should" be seems to prevail over what the game actually is. It needs opinions taken out and facts put in place. That may or may not ever happen.  The forums, for now, are probably the best place to go for a "manual."  Unfortunately, searching the forums can sometimes be challenging (though check my profile for a tip). A nice pretty PDF would be awesome, where detailed specifics about how the game works were explained. 

3 hours ago, mathmanican said:

A nice pretty PDF would be awesome, where detailed specifics about how the game works were explained. 

Now I suddenly have the desire to write up a .tex file of instructions, except I don't think I'm very good at this game as of yet (130h playtime, yey xD)

Though there was a pretty nice beginner's guide (for QOL II or III, I think), which helped me get started loads. I wouldn't recommend it for people intent on discovering stuff by themselves, but since I get overwhelmed by the endless possibilities in ONI and then do... nothing, it really helped me.

https://oni-assistant.com/guides/starter

(this is definitely outdated by now--I think it still talks about Slimelung being able to kill your dupes, which is Wrong, but it should cover the basics. Or you take the full experience and fail to figure it out :D I sometimes wish I'd done that, but now it's too late)

I just need information somewhere about output temperatures. I'm so gosh darn clueless, especially after last big batch of changes.

I'm starting to get really paranoid about everything that generates heat or converts matter in my lastest base...

There are some great guides by a guy called Jahws on Steam ( https://steamcommunity.com/id/Jahws/myworkshopfiles/?section=guides&appid=457140 ).

He has a full walk-through (pretty much) from beginning to about the end of mid-game and a separate guide for useful construction patterns. He's currently updating them for the launch release...last time I looked he was a fair way through with the update...these have helped me a great deal.

2 hours ago, Nicz said:

I just need information somewhere about output temperatures. I'm so gosh darn clueless, especially after last big batch of changes.

I'm starting to get really paranoid about everything that generates heat or converts matter in my lastest base…

You can actually check them ingame, select the Building in the building menu(not an already built one!) and hover over the Output materials.

It will tell you the conditions that modify the Output temperature as well as the Minimum Output temperature.

Archived