Lumber cooling?

Hi guys, just threw this together in a hurry.

See bug report here. This is an exploit, no doubt.

This build relies on a temperature reset much like the chill pill, so if you build a base around this and klei breaks your base later, well, your choice. I think this build is capable of destroying many times more heat than a chill pill per conveyor segment but only specifically in cases of extreme temperatures (actually conveyors hold 20kg of pills per segment too)

I post this specifically to bring attention to it in the hope that the bug gets fixed.

My asteroid has volcanoes and magma channels. I dug into one particularly annoying magma channel, which I seem to have contaminated with phosphorus. Oops.

image.png.9f14e8e85a56af65829a0450b9fd6d4f.png

I turns out that each time you load lumber into a container, its temp resets to 20C. Now, I'll use the surface area multiplier for thermal conductivity of materials on a conveyor inside a tile, to cool the whole area below 40C. How long do you think it'll take? I'm going to gradually add branches to my conveyor as the area cools, to get the whole biome.

image.png.85afd283510a3cb935e3c611a47064e1.png

Here's halfway: after 11 cycles, I've got 90% of the phosphorus condensed (there's a stubborn pocket at the very bottom) and the whole area is around 200C - down from 850C or so. This is the kind of project you would never tackle directly with aquatuner or steam turbine-based cooling. There's just such an incredible amount of heat in this pocket that the most you'd ever do is gradually cool the area down over hundreds of cycles. Never 20-30.

image.thumb.png.fb153f357a6bf2291a933fa7bd1fe619.png

This would be exceptionally good for taming a volcano. With automation to time when the conveyor is active & idle, you could get the power cost below 60W and probably be pulling metals out below 50C.

But, here's hoping they fix it.

It works just as well with Pokeshell Molts (both sizes), reed fibers, and Data Banks.  My guess is that anything tagged as an industrial ingredient will get this to work. I tried repeating it with clothing (was finally gonna give jet suits a use), but no luck there.

At least we now have a use for left over data banks. :) Use em to keep your base cool by putting them in storage containers. 

Another note:  You can skip the storage container (lumber) or fridge (vitamin chews) completely.  The conveyor loader itself will cause the resetting to happen. This issues appears to be the exact same as the chill pill. Whether you use lumber, vitamin chews, data banks, etc., does not matter, as all material is made out of genetic ooze.  

Temperature reset hit again ! Detroying heat in ton of food just by clicking 'Compost" then "Cancel Compost" is also totally absurd.
On a side note, talking about conveyor system and testing this OP, if they can also fix the way conveyor rails transfer temp to bottom tiles (and not to side or top) and why on each batch the last pile is acting weirdly (appear bigger than they rare and buggy cooled).

Wait a second. Those industrial ingredients are made of genetic ooze. They reset their temperature when stored. Dunno what magic happens there, but.. Ok.

Hatches, Pokeshells, our lovely critters are made of genetic ooze. Their eggs too. You can heat those eggs, then they hatch and reset their temperature. Then you can heat the baby (ugh...), it grows up, and it resets its temperature. Dunno what magic happens here but...

Do I see a pattern, a possible catastrophic fix, or am I just seeing things? =|

5 minutes ago, Siromatik said:

things are turning wrong in ONI

Wrong?????  I thought this was genius. Might as well utilize the temp resets that happen every so often to capture as much heat deletion as possible. Combine @Yunru infinite hatch farm to @Lilalaunekuh's critter cooler with some doors for automating the correct temperature, and you could keep the critter chamber at a nice 68C, ready for a complete reset with each stage change. Add to some extra doors to capture and hold solid debris inside, and you can also get every bit of rock that the hatches will eat up to 68C before they eat it.  TONS of heat deletion available. :) 

33 minutes ago, Siromatik said:

if they can also fix the way conveyor rails transfer temp to bottom tiles (and not to side or top)

I think this is because items on a conveyor are basically debris. if you run it right above a tile then the game constantly creates and destroys a chunk of debris laying on the tile every second. They would have to re-implement the whole thing.

40 minutes ago, mathmanican said:

Wrong?????

Instead of 'wrong', I should have said 'When things are turning EVILY F***ING GENIUS in ONI", combining everything like you wrote makes me laugh :D !

18 minutes ago, Darkin Coaled said:

I think this is because items on a conveyor are basically debris.

That’s what I’m guessing. If it could act either like a full tile or a 'third' state acting on his actual tile only, that would be great. Shouldn't have say 'fix' as its not really a bug anyway. Just a personal preference.

19 minutes ago, Darkin Coaled said:

I think this is because items on a conveyor are basically debris. if you run it right above a tile then the game constantly creates and destroys a chunk of debris laying on the tile every second. They would have to re-implement the whole thing.

Moreover, it's the same debris-on-tile behavior for things in storage compactors to my knowledge; the game treats them as sitting on the tile below, and I don't think they interact with the compactor directly heatwise; think of it like the compactor/rail is actually a porous structure that somehow suspends the items without touching them, so they don't fall, and are exposed to the tile below and tile of gas/liquid on them. Yes, it's absurd, and yes, it leads to really stupid things like placing a compactor over a mesh tile to melt ice being a really stupid idea without hydrogen, cause then your ice takes a long time to melt as it's only transferring heat with the gas that's in the mesh tile and over the container.

Anyway, they need to make both critter lifecycles and storage preserve rather than reset temperatures, cause this is absurd; it's not too hard to just remember what temperature something was, and they likely try to do that, but someone made a typo somewhere or something.

27 minutes ago, Saturnus said:

This means that anyone using an automated lumber delivery system which are popular on some worlds will get free and massive cooling even if they didn't know about the bug.

That's how I ran into this. Early game, trying to make a lower tech base, but automated lumber delivery so I'd stop letting so much CO2 out into my base.

Then everything got cold. Hmm....

1 hour ago, Darkin Coaled said:

This is probably the same reason why the heat exchange is so high when it’s inside a tile. It’s using “debris inside tile” logic - which sensibly exchanges heat quickly.

One final comment:  Pokeshell molts move in groups of 20 (not 20kg at a time), so you can move an entire 200kg of pokeshell on each conveyor. Pills only move 20kg at a time, as well as lumber.  So... to maximize your cooling potential, farm large pokeshell molts and then ship them around.  This will multiply your cooling potential by 10. 

I'm guessing this is another bug, as just about everything else moves in groups of 20kg, or there is a delay in loading when moving something heavier. With pokeshell molts, no such delay exists. 

Archived