water sieve NOT fixed temp?

so, its been a while since i last played and i find this, which is the same temp Pwater is coming in.

20190727140431_1.thumb.jpg.2e79b2bd1c0e3caf2e5e248719278681.jpg

...but the wiki still says it should be fixed 40C (and it says it is updated, current patch.)

was it changed?

ty.

3 hours ago, Bluefoxfire said:

So what happens if you use stuff that's -10F or so?

2 hours ago, blacknight7890 said:

then the water freezes the second it enters the pipe, damaging it and eventually breaking it, it's on you to ensure that doesn't happen

They changed it to a minimum output, not a fully dynamic output. So if you put in -20C polluted water, it will come out as 0C liquid water . ← Wrong, sieve is fully dynamic.

6 minutes ago, nakomaru said:

They changed it to a minimum output, not a fully dynamic output. So if you put in -20C polluted water, it will come out as 0C liquid water.

I didn't see any mention about minimum temperature. As compared to electrolyzer. Probably they forgot to change the tooltip?

image.png.f21e917500dce3ea1720cea1eb3ccc33.pngimage.png.4fa1e3ed73c8844165729e42948023a1.png

TBH, I prefer to let it be icing. That's part of user responsibility. Put in too hot place or let heat built up = overheat. Put too cold input = icing. Even smart machines that have prevention will just "stop working" when outside safety range.

10 minutes ago, abud said:

I didn't see any mention about minimum temperature. As compared to electrolyzer. Probably they forgot to change

Nope I'm just wrong. I was going off of info in the patch notes thread without testing it myself. Apologies.

3 minutes ago, nakomaru said:

Nope I'm just wrong. I was going off of info in the patch notes thread without testing it myself. Apologies.

I think there was a minimum temperature for the first patch or two after eliminating the static/fixed output temp, but that may have also been when the bug where it was calculating the temperature change based on the entire stored amount of sand instead of just the amount that gets used was still around so there were lots of weird results. 

But isn't the output a weighted average of each water packet and the amount of filter medium used up by that packet, corrected for heat capacity?

It was a temporary bug that the averaging used all the mass of filter medium averaged against each individual packet of liquid.

Going from memory, though.

There were 2 quirks with the first change to the Water Sieve.

It did, initially, have a minimum output temperature, I think it was 30 C?  But that made a lot of people really mad, because if you were responsibly managing your water temperature you'd be artificially adding heat from nowhere due to the minimum output.

The other thing was the bug where the entire mass of Filtration Medium in the Sieve's storage was being used in the thermal calculation for the Sieve's output temp, not just the quantity used to filter on a per-packet basis.  So you'd be comparing the 5 kg packet of Polluted Water to, what, 500 kg of Sand from the Sieve's storage capacity?

PhailRaptor said it way better than I did. 

What I meant was that the fixed minimum temperature was not obvious to see because of the output temp calculation bug. 

Either way, no min/max temperatures and the calculation bug is squashed so we're good now. 

12 hours ago, PhailRaptor said:

The other thing was the bug where the entire mass of Filtration Medium in the Sieve's storage was being used in the thermal calculation for the Sieve's output temp, not just the quantity used to filter on a per-packet basis.  So you'd be comparing the 5 kg packet of Polluted Water to, what, 500 kg of Sand from the Sieve's storage capacity?

Not 100% current (but close enough). It used the stored mass instead of the converted mass for everything in the list. This means up to 1200 kg of filtration medium and up to 10 kg of water. Now it's 1 kg of filtration medium and 5 kg of water.

Archived