Early to Midgame: How to prevent gas-pollution of base

So I've gotten a base to a cycle in the mid 100s, which I used to figure out stuff like Oil or setting up a nat gas power plant, but I'm kinda stuck on how to prevent my base being polluted by different gasses in the early to mid game. My current save file: The Duplicant Trainwreck.sav

My algae terraria are emitting PO2, which is my current problem (can't get my dupes to empty the bottles right away, so I am researching Oxygen Deodorizers), but I am also gearing up to go exploring the surrounding biomes rn and am somewhat overwhelmed by trying to keep my base a (mostly) Oxygen Only zone. I'm playing on the Launch Preview. While this is only cycle 16, I'd like to get it under control (if possible) earlier rather than later, because unbreathable gasses were a definite problem during my last playthrough...

457140_20190720121430_1.thumb.png.d7a1ebdc324161b1ba38088e6a6b41ba.png

457140_20190720121439_1.thumb.png.d55b6ec6727c3bad72246d65cbbf5fcc.png

Any comments/suggestions?

(EDIT: The reason all my appliances claim not be connected to power is because I opened the save just to take the screenshots, and thus didn't run the game. They are all connected and powered up, in case that is important)

Deoxidizers, door pumps, liquid airlocks....they all help with gasses ...

I dont want to go too much into detail though...half of the fun is trying out for yourself.

A few tips.

Co2 early game...just dig a big ''basement '' co2 should settle down there.

Low gas pressure...if your o2 pressure is low co2 will ''press'' upwards

Pressure sensors are great to automate o2 generators efficiently

EDIT! airflow tiles help a lot with even distribution 

13 minutes ago, Yoma_Nosme said:

I dont want to go too much into detail though...half of the fun is trying out for yourself.

Door pumps? I'm afraid I'm not sure what that is...

I'm so bad at trying things out of myself, it ended with my last colony getting a trickle of nat gas everywhere and no clue how to get it out of my base :wilson_dead: But okay, back to the drawing board, I guess I should not feel too bad about a colony or two maybe failing perfectionism is killing my gaming fun

Thanks for the tips though, I did not get around to trying automated sensor for oxygen generation

Depend which gas we are talking about:

PO - deodorizers. Lots of them. They use sand only when they catch PW.

Hydrogen - airflow tiles on top of base or stairs ( if you didn't research it yet). Hydrogen will go up clearing base

CO2 - basement, after carbon skimmer or slicksters if it is hot enough ( you can get them early from printon pod) - carbon skimmer is easier to manage early game

Chlorine - do no open pockets of chlorine unless you have airlock ( you can destroy small pocket using tile exploit).

Mid game try to organise "locked base) - so one or two exits. Easier to manage gases. 

I'm working on liquid airlocks rn, will start exploring once I have those.

Regarding airflow tiles: Should my entire floor be made of those, or can I also do one every couple of normal tiles? I've seen the latter mostly, but dunno about efficiency...

2 minutes ago, xialeth said:

Regarding airflow tiles: Should my entire floor be made of those, or can I also do one every couple of normal tiles? I've seen the latter mostly, but dunno about efficiency...

Personally I prefer a couple every couple or so tiles. The main hindrance are single tiles for the flow will block instead of pass each other, the more elements the worse. Usually for me two couples at the end of each room plus maybe one in the middle of big rooms suffice for me.

Otherwise, welp, digging yourself into a diamond shape, ♦, with the base in the center and not touching any borders proves to be the best and will guide new gases also from the left and right to where they should be. One then only has to keep the space in mind to let the oxygen remain in the center. Limited access and more space than necessary help a lot, as well as pumping and storing all hydrogen so only the bottom is a concern and the precious resource does not escape into the endless space, called space.

Airflow tiles cost precious metal, they're ugly and they don't give a walking bonus. Use them sparingly.

There's no real need to sweep up the polluted water from terrariums. It will naturally decay into PO2 and is in fact a deliberately useful way to produce it. Surround the terrariums with deodorizers to keep the output clean.

Many gases will naturally separate out and do not take much effort on your part. In particular hydrogen, oxygen and carbon dioxide will conveniently layer up into a nice gaseous sandwich. Other gases can be kept outside by placing airlocks, water locks, and keeping your main exits at high oxygen pressure. The high pressure will force competing gases out.

@xialeth

Door pumps are basically a series of doors automated to open/close one after the other and ''pumping'' (its actually more a shovelling) gas from one side to the other

I will try to find a screenshot somewhere with the automation so you get the idea

door_pump.png.8242930b1b6c323d3f15b7f8f91e08a7.png.78ee3bdffd3629de68c996c1a9246a5f.png

Here's one I found on my mobile phone. Must have downloaded it from the forum so credit goes to the one that made it...

Haven't tried this design out myself but it looks ok. 

Just dig up a lot of space above and below the base. Lighter gasses like hydrogen will end up in the top part. Heavier in the bottom. Put a carbon scrubber in the bottom so chlorine can`t get up. Make sure you got mesh or airflow tiles around your base to let the gasss flow through easier.

44 minutes ago, xialeth said:

Door pumps? I'm afraid I'm not sure what that is...

A door pump uses the opening and closing of doors with automation to force a liquid or gas in a certain direction. Door pumps are used to compress gasses more than a high pressure vent, I don't think you are in need of a door pump.

some tips:

Try to avoid natural gas and sour gas in the open with liquid airlocks and never print a flatulent dupe.

hydrogen just goes up so that should be no problem.

chlorine stays just above the co2 so if the co2 level is low enough, then chlorine is not really a problem.

If your dupes are in exosuits then you only need to keep your plants in the right atmosphere.

Neat, thanks you all for the different ideas!

I always thought the PO2 was an issue, using it to generate oxygen didn't really occur to me. Currently, I have my algae terraria placed so that there is limited space for deodorizers, but I might restructure it to use the additional oxygen.

Honestly, the advice regarding gas behaviour is so incredibly useful, I will keep it in mind.

At the top of your base place a pump leading into a hydrogen generator. At the bottom have carbon scrubber and a pump leading into a natural gas generator and a chlorine storage room. There's very little chlorine on a given map so just storing it away is enough, or if you have salt vines place a couple by the carbon scrubber. 

4 hours ago, Yoma_Nosme said:

Liquid Airlocks seems really stupid pre-exo suit.

Use the CO2 Lock instead.

I almost never use Liqod Locks these days, unless we get really late game and can do the upright gel locks.

6 minutes ago, Miravlix said:

Depends on the layout...liquid lock debuff goes from soggy feet to sopping wet or if you know how to stack liquids right...No debuff because dupes jump through...

co2 lock is also fine but is less fail-save

Edit... a little soggy feet is fine imo, especially at the start when morale expectation is low and you easily reset the stress

Both the CO2 and Chlorine can be considered waste products early game.  Put a Carbon skimmer and saltvine plant at the bottom of the base to simply delete any stray gas that gets into your base.  I usually don't end up with enough hydrogen to be concerned about unless I'm on Rime and using open electrolyzers, in which case I'll just collection point at the top of my base and pump hydrogen into a generator with sensors.

1 hour ago, Miravlix said:

Generally by the time a liquid airlock becomes useful, exosuits are on the table. It's not too hard to get one with the other, unless the map deliberately lacks exosuit parts. The exosuit negates wet penalties and is enormously useful in general.

Liquid airlocks are very easy to set up and pretty hard to break. It makes them ideal for normal difficulty, where the stress penalty isn't too bad. CO2 locks become more important on harder modes, as diving into liquid will quickly drive dupes insane. 

If u plan on going to a slime biome build 2 air locks with a 1 tile space in between and put a deodorizer in between them. Make sure it's only 2 high and nearly all PO2 will become clean. Bonus points if u plant a buddy bud next to the door on the side that is your base because the bud will produce flora scents that not only make your dupes happy (as long as they don't have allergies) but also prevents slime lung from entering your base because only 1 germ type can live on one tile at a time.

4 hours ago, bobucles said:

Airflow tiles cost precious metal, they're ugly and they don't give a walking bonus. Use them sparingly.

There's no real need to sweep up the polluted water from terrariums. It will naturally decay into PO2 and is in fact a deliberately useful way to produce it. Surround the terrariums with deodorizers to keep the output clean.

Many gases will naturally separate out and do not take much effort on your part. In particular hydrogen, oxygen and carbon dioxide will conveniently layer up into a nice gaseous sandwich. Other gases can be kept outside by placing airlocks, water locks, and keeping your main exits at high oxygen pressure. The high pressure will force competing gases out.

I recently found a large chunk of algae in arboria, build a few terrarium coupled with some deodorizer, my base is now always more than 2k O2 pressure, only realised it later when my dupes get popped eardrum everywhere inside the main base. To think I was low on O2 early game due to lack of algae in starting biome. 

2 hours ago, bobucles said:

Generally by the time a liquid airlock becomes useful, exosuits are on the table. It's not too hard to get one with the other, unless the map deliberately lacks exosuit parts. The exosuit negates wet penalties and is enormously useful in general.

Liquid airlocks are very easy to set up and pretty hard to break. It makes them ideal for normal difficulty, where the stress penalty isn't too bad. CO2 locks become more important on harder modes, as diving into liquid will quickly drive dupes insane. 

Yeah. Liquid locks are cool even after exosuits. One thing to keep in mind is that water is not the best liquod in the lock. Crude oil or petrolum is. Water can evaporate breaking the lock if setup in hot areas - thing that is often overlooked ( at leadt by me lol)

Archived