• Developer
  • Updated artwork for Wood Gas Generator
  • Updated sound effects for Wood Gas Generator
  • Many strings that were previously untranslatable have been fixed
  • Salt shows up correctly at Mess Stations
  • Arbor Tree Database entries make more sense
  • Added Rust Deoxidizer sound effects
  • Added Object Dispenser sound effects
  • Automation signals have been renamed to "Green" and "Red" because Active and Standby were misleading in some situations
  • Logic Gate artwork now displays red and green for consistency
  • Broad text pass on automation strings and tooltips
  • Automation gates and tools techs have been reordered to provide a more logical progression
  • Fix "Requires Gas Output" tooltip
  • Many Database overview pages show their items in a grid instead of a list
  • Updated Chinese translations
  • Updated Russian translations
  • Saltvine now has its own description
  • Trees will no longer grow multiple branches in the same location
    • Excess branches will be cleaned up on load
  • Automation circuits that trigger large amounts of changes at the same are less loud
  • Space Destination mass replenishing works correctly
  • Added sound when activating the Materials Overlay

View full update

• Like 17
  • Thanks 8
  • Haha 2

50 minutes ago, Ipsquiggle said:
  • Automation signals have been renamed to "Green" and "Red" because Active and Standby were misleading in some situations

That's strictly personnal, but... yuuuuuk

image.png.a6cbe9a99a03b00a8b3ddeb0685d6d28.png

Anyway thanks for this update dedicated to fix.

Another point, am I the only one to get some hard freeze (when I say hard, I mean, HARD. It could take 10 minutes to get out of this), mostly after some playing hours ? It happened on my pro laptop and also on my personnal one, even those are totally different (but both are quite powerful). The laptop is then stuck until ONI unlock it. It doesn't happened often, fortunately, but those few are hitting hard.

Edited by OxCD
  • Like 3

• Developer
16 minutes ago, Nightinggale said:

I still crash the game due to this bug. Did you fix the bug, but not include the fix in the patch? It's not in the list either.

It just missed the cutoff for today's patch, sorry. :( 

11 minutes ago, TheGCat said:

Index out of Range Exception. Since the last two patches... You broke my 1600 cycles colony... I hoped for this patch to fix it, so i can continue my colony. But... :grumpy:

Mind posting your save file?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Using red/green would be logical considering that is what people can see on the screen. Also green = go and red = stop. It's intuitive for new players, hence reducing the learning curve.

What I feel automation is lacking is a type of wire, which can contain numbers. Add a few math gates like subtract and the player can automate actions based on which hydro sensor has the least mass. It would add a whole lot of interesting ways to expand on automation. However it doesn't seem like a realistic addition this close to Launch. Maybe it could be added as a DLC.

• Like 6

27 minutes ago, Laurond said:

Green/Red instead of Active/Standby? What's wrong with True/False?

They could call them Laurel and Hardy for all I care. As long as it's obvious what means what. Red and Green while clumsy from an engineers' PoV is probably fine and more describing for casual players that find it a chore to get to grips with how automation works.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Red and green are perfectly fine descriptors. Humans have been primed since a young age that green is yes/go and red is no/stop. Makes it very easy to pick up. Standby was a little confusing. Active/inactive may look a bit less derpy, but derpy suits my dupes just fine. So red/green it is!

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Nightinggale said:

What I feel automation is lacking is a type of wire, which can contain numbers. Add a few math gates like subtract and the player can automate actions based on which hydro sensor has the least mass. It would add a whole lot of interesting ways to expand on automation. However it doesn't seem like a realistic addition this close to Launch. Maybe it could be added as a DLC.

Then we're talking analog signals and comparators, and not basic logic gates.

In a sense you can say that the game already has that built into most automation sensor outputs in that you can set it to above or below at set threshold. What you can't do currently is change the threshold with other automation.

Edited by Saturnus

Just now, Saturnus said:

Then we're talking analog signals and comparators, and not basic logic gates.

In a sense you can say that the game already has that built into most automation sensor outputs in that you can set it to above or below at set threshold.

The problem is you need to use fixed values right now. If we use analogue values and take A - B and then assign the output with some analogue to digital which outputs "above 0", then it can detect the difference between 10 and 50. But it can also detect 900 vs 880. If the wire adds the numbers of all outputs on the wire, then you can have say 3 sensors on each and then each can measure 0-3000 kg. Using numbers will unlock cases, which can't really be solved with the current system. It can also allow setting up a single thermo sensor and then two analogue to digital bridges, in which case the same temperature reading can trigger different signals at different thresholds.

I can likely come up with even more use cases if I think about it. The point is that there is no real automation for comparisons. It's currently all based on fixed numbers, which causes some limitations if you want to do a bunch of automation.

Calling the numbers analogue is very fitting from an engineering point of view and I like the name. The question is if it's a good name for non-engineers.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Nightinggale said:

You want Factorio? Because that's how you get Factorio!

What's wrong with encoding your new-fangled 'numbers' on broad strips of automation wires, and hand-wiring the so-called "addition" and "subtraction" and "comparison to zero" thingumabobs by hand? You youngsters nowadays. (/shakes stick at cloud).

In all seriousness, I'm guessing the devs don't want ONI to be that kind of game.

That said, I'm going to try and implement a four-bit adder (liquid-based) now: some kind of contraption where you either fill or don't fill 2 rows of four holes with liquid, you turn it on and some time later five holes elsewhere contain the sum of the numbers.

• Haha 1

Ok there's definitely something wrong since last update at least. My game froze for about 10 minutes sometimes. It could take some hours before the first freeze. But then, like it does last half hour, it freezes 10 minutes, I play 10 minutes, then freezes again for 10 minutes, etc...
As far as I noticed, I was acting around liquid piping when it happened. Could be deconstructing, or displaying piping layer, or else. I've never had crashes before (well... it happened once last 6 months).

Edited by OxCD

1 hour ago, TheGCat said:

Sure.

Abyss.sav

Jeez your base is absurd...

I don't think I can ever make anything this big!

Spoiler

eHDWzP5.png

Anyway I was doing nothing anyway and just out of curiosity decided to look at your issue and figured out what was wrong, I could fix it, if you REALLY want to play this save on the weekend and don't mind risking losing something or breaking your save I could upload a patch file and you manually patch your game to load your save... (You'd have to patch it yourself because I don't think it's legal for me to distribute game files). PM me if you want it ;)

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Heister said:

You'd have to patch it yourself because I don't think it's legal for me to distribute game files

That's what mods are for. Harmony allows you to patch method calls to run your code before and/or after the vanilla method. You can also modify the code of the method (IL assembly). There is also the option of calling your code first and then disable the vanilla call, meaning you have a replacement code for the method in question.

You can essentially modify the game file as much as you like and not care about game file distribution limits because you aren't distributing game files. The game patches itself with all the mods at startup. This gives a very high degree of modding freedom for people who figured out the system.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Nightinggale said:

Harmony

And I had never heard about it! Will definitely make my life MUCH easier, I love messing with my games lol I always did it the hard way :p

Massive thanks for pointing this out. Now I'm outta here don't want to derail this thread further :p