Retrofitting Non-Beta Worlds

• Developer

Hi everyone,

The long overdue world retrofitting has finally arrived! It would be appreciated if some players could test out the retrofitting of non-beta worlds. Feel free to post here to let me know if it worked (or submit a bug report if it did not). Going forward we will try to keep the retrofitting as up to date as possible. 

Wait, what is retrofitting?
Retrofitting is how we update existing worlds to include new content. This will add the new ocean and island content to worlds that were created on the main (non-beta) build of DST.

Will this affect my non-beta worlds?
Nope. This process is not automatic and will use a copy of your worlds, not the originals.

Will this affect my beta worlds?
Yes! Unfortunately we do not support copying a subset of worlds, it's all or nothing. Please back them up as stated in the instructions below.

Instructions

Spoiler
  • Close DST
  • Navigate to \Documents\Klei\
  • Make a backup of the entire DoNotStarveTogetherReturnOfThemBeta folder. This will be used if you wish to restore your current beta worlds.
  • Delete the folder DoNotStarveTogetherReturnOfThemBeta
  • Copy and paste the DoNotStarveTogether folder and rename it to DoNotStarveTogetherReturnOfThemBeta
  • Start DST and load your world.
  • The server will automatically add the ocean and island content. This will cause a slightly longer load time then normal. During this time, there should be a number of lines in the server logs stating "Retrofitting for Return Of Them: Turn of Tides ..."
  • Once the world is loaded, and someone has joined (dedicated and caves-enabled servers will require someone actually in the world), the world will save and reload after 30 seconds. This will complete the retrofitting process.
  • At this point, please check out the world and see if anything wrong happened. If you suspect something failed to retrofit, please submit a bug report and make sure to include your client logs (and server logs for dedicated or caves-enabled servers).

Should you like to restore your beta worlds, close DST and then replace the DoNotStarveTogetherReturnOfThemBeta folder with your backup.

• Developer

One other thing to watch out for. The new island was hand crafted for the retrofitting (there is a large version and a fallback small version if there is no room to place the large version.) So if there is missing any content, please let me know.

1 hour ago, ScottHansen said:

The new island was hand crafted for the retrofitting (there is a large version and a fallback small version if there is no room to place the large version.)

This means that the island will look the same on all retrofitted worlds, if I understand correctly?

The retrofitting seems to be working, my world got the boats, seas and the island. 

The only thing that annoyed me is that I had to literally sail around the whole map to find the moon island right next to the part where I began...

20190718022212_1.thumb.jpg.99790d41bfa489d5b690d9e77e0f6092.jpg

Nice lil' island btw! I'm wondering tho whether it's the smaller or the bigger one? Comparing with the original beta ones, I guess it's the smaller version? (In that case I don't really understand why the retrofitting mechanism couldn't find a good place for the bigger one, there's quite lot room I think... but anyways, the most important is that I got the island! Yay! :D )

20190718022525_1.thumb.jpg.73ed6ae3a130eb4f46d1e0b0e47a98d5.jpg

Thanks again for the retrofitting, you are great! I hope it'll work with when the update goes live as well :)

Hey Klei; after trying to start up my world that was created before the retrofitting update, it gives me the "Dedicated Server Failed to Start" message. I can only assume it is because it was quite modded, but is there any way to cancel the retrofitting process? I'll link the log just in case.

Thanks!

server_log.txt

• Developer
11 hours ago, Paddlefruit said:

Hey Klei; after trying to start up my world that was created before the retrofitting update, it gives me the "Dedicated Server Failed to Start" message. I can only assume it is because it was quite modded, but is there any way to cancel the retrofitting process? I'll link the log just in case.

Thanks!

server_log.txt

Thanks for the log! I'm working on getting support for the Island Adventures mod to opt out of the retrofitting since it is pretty much a total conversion mod.

14 hours ago, Hukkest said:

I did all the process. Them I started the game, loaded my server and anything has changed. What had I messed up?

Hi. Thanks for trying it out. If you are running the Island Adventures mod then this is why it failed. If not, could you repeat the process again. If it fails again then I would appreciate it if you could submit a bug report here https://forums.kleientertainment.com/klei-bug-tracker/dont-starve-together-return-of-them/ and attach your client_log.txt. If you have caves enabled then please also add your master's server_log.txt for that cluster (or just zip up your beta save folder and attach that). Thanks. 

Not sure if this due to retrofitting, or because I retrofitted the New Reign Beta worlds, but I noticed the hounds don't sound off before they attack. On occasion I'll know they're coming because my character comments on it, but not all the time do they, or do I see it, and the next thing I know I'm surrounded by hounds in a not-so-ideal place.

So this means I have to play for as long as possible and inform you if something is missing when new updates comes out?

I played first month like 400 days andI think  there was an update after, then I noticed that new skin was added for those see rocks, but I cant remember if they updated in my current world, because I started new one. AFter taking a break, Me and friend right now playing duo run (Building Megabase) probably will play current world for a very long time :) 

Also question for you, where I can see latest update news? Usualy I check on Steam > DST > News , but sometimes it didnt show anything more no mater if there was an update (bug fix)

8 minutes ago, PhoeniX19922 said:

Also question for you, where I can see latest update news? Usualy I check on Steam > DST > News , but sometimes it didnt show anything more no mater if there was an update (bug fix)

You can check for game updates here.

Also forgot to mention something in my prewious reply how I feel about this, I love Building mega bases and play alot, only thing i was upset about was that you will have to regenerate new world to get in new content over time. If this will work, thats going to be the best thing in this game <3

Also another question, if this Works and I build 50% of map Building space, including in water, what will hapen if new content will come out, like new lands or more stuff implemented on ground or sea? Does it will import in free space where you didnt build anything or will go under your built structures?  For example if you add something new like a structure or mob at light Green grassy area and that space is builded up, does new stuff will be imported there?

После того, как в ходе" модернизации "не бета-теста мира обнаружена ошибка, связанная с "мостиком" между биомами, карта не отображалась, хотя на ней была физическая модель Земли и по ней можно было ходить

20190809183038_1.jpg

Today retrofitted my old begabase world from 2018! I have to say everything was perfect and nothing missing, just like in beta worlds ^-^

After first time I read new post new content is coming  for dst and some people saying that you will have to regenerate all world to get new content, I was happy for the new content, but sad to lose my world where I spent many hours! Now I guess I can continue if I want to! ^-^

But I guess, ill start new when new content comes out of beta anyway, got some crazy new ideas for mega basing :)

Another thing why i dont want to keep this map, is because ocean is too small and moon biome aswell. Because map was so huge and close to map borders. But I hope that someday you will make that map adds more space , like in beta worlds where ocean is huge :)

I can tell, this is the best thing ever in Dst you guys made, im so happy! Good work guys 11/105d5142c833363_Megabasefrom2k18yr.thumb.png.d63fce17bb0e6223c138e018ec79895d.png ^-^

Archived