Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Please be aware that the content of this thread may be outdated and no longer applicable.

Flapjacks

Public server community

Flapjacks    7

So for some background on myself, I'm fairly new to this game with around 50 hours currently, but I have spent most of my time trying to learn the basics so that I wouldn't be a hindrance to other players. When I thought I was ready, I decided to join a public server for the first time. It was nearing night time and there was only one starting flint that I could find near the florid postern so I had to make a torch to survive the night. I decided to burn some trees for charcoal and also for light so that I could still chop wood and be productive during the night . I even helped another person who joined in the middle of the night with the light from the fires. As soon as it hits morning though, I instantly get vote kicked by the players in the server because it said I was burning trees in the top of the screen (not sure if this a feature just on public servers or a mod). I was wondering if all public servers are like this or if I was just unlucky and happened to join a bad server. 

YouKnowWho    7,261

I think it's a mod? It doesn't usually announce things like that.

Either way, it sucks you got kicked so hastily. Best of luck next time though, yeah?

Terra_Zina    4,718

Imagine kicking someone for burning trees. The pinnacle of fragility.

You're better off not playing on that server. Who know what would've happened if they saw you plucking a flower.

Albus321    443

Definitely looking for another server 

Maybe the Klei's servers to start your experience....

*Never ask "where is the base"

Flapjacks    7
11 hours ago, albus321 said:

Definitely looking for another server 

Maybe the Klei's servers to start your experience....

*Never ask "where is the base"

Is that like grounds for an instant kick? Also, is there any other basic DST etiquette that I should know?

Albus321    443
4 minutes ago, Flapjacks said:

Is that like grounds for an instant kick? Also, is there any other basic DST etiquette that I should know?

Some people hate that

Btw here you have 

Credit: @JamesBucket

*Just skip step 7 *

Lizardhiney    527

5 seems optional to me

11 has never been a problem in my experience

3 is never much of a problem. I normally smash all pig houses I see outside of the villages. But pig houses are a dime a dozen, nobody really cares and it is a staple to getting pigkin early on. By the time you run out of pigskin it is probably like day 400. Which by then you should either have quit the game or made a pig farm

maradyne    3,917
6 hours ago, Hatano Eichero said:

3 is never much of a problem.

Basically as long as they're enough pig houses left to give people the option of farming pigs to make a new village in a reasonable amount of time, it's fine.

AnitaCoffee    285
4 hours ago, xiapusharpxxx said:

you can join klei's official server, people are nicer there. (normally)

Half the time when I join one lately, everyone is ruins rushing. Not that people are unfriendly to the newer players, but not the most new-player-friendly-activity. 

The "DST United States" servers seem to be a lot of newer players though.

ShadowDuelist    3,724

Burning a few trees is fine as long as they are isolated from forests or other resources, specially pig houses. Starting a wildifre in a large forest is usually frown upon. I'm not sure if that was the case here or not, and it's also worth mentioning that some servers have just mean players.

I recently joined a public brazilian server and started helping them farm the mactusks as soon as winter hit (I joined a few days before winter) Unfortuntely there was just one mactusk spawn, so I killed that one a few times. Some other player remembered about the tusks almost at the end of winter, apparently he went there, saw that it was dead, waited a day or 2 and claimed that it was not respawning anymore because "that new guy shadowduelist has been killing the wee tusk." He was pretty certain and angrily letting everyone know that I was a noob, and that "killing the wee tusk makes the walrus not respawn again" (??)

I explained the best I could that was not the case, that I killed mactusk 3 times (so it was respawning) and that the extra tusk I got was at their base already. They all instantly got on the guy's side, mobbed to insult me for a while, and eventually banned me.

So yeah, manurey situations like this can happen... don't give too much thought about it (even though I admit I was quite pissed off that night)

Pop Guy    3,310

The Italian servers are beautiful! No one cares about anything if you steal, set fire to trees or kill pigs. And the more insults in chat, the more you are appreciated, especially if with some blasphemy.
Too bad I don't see an Italian server from the first season of the Forge... : '(

ShadowDuelist    3,724
1 hour ago, NSAiswatchingus said:

Any tips for someone running a public server to make it more accessible and fun for players joining? 

I like the most vanilla experience possible, leaving most if not all mods out, and default settings. I also like public servers that are always up, so I can always jump in at any time of the day I have some time to play. I'm not sure if everyone likes that though. Alternatively you could always invite people to play directly, or schedule meetings on discord and here in the forums, to play at some time. 

Also as a clarification I forgot to add in my previous post, although there are mean players and poopy servers, the amount of nice players I met on my journeys, and friends I made on this game, vastly surpases the bad times I got. The community balances out on the good side, fortunately.

maradyne    3,917
1 hour ago, NSAiswatchingus said:

Any tips for someone running a public server to make it more accessible and fun for players joining? 

Ocuvigils of course.
Personally, I try and leave Firepits around the world (especially when winter starts) for easier nights/heat during trips across the world. Same with Science Machines; they're always a welcome find in your first couple days, and can still be useful during travel through mid-game.
Not digging up Grass Tufts, Saplings, or Berry Bushes near spawn also gives new joiners the chance to self-sustain for a bit.
Replanting natural trees in clustered groups rather than scattered. Sounds odd, but it helps prevent fire-spread and people don't have to feel as bad about lighting a small cluster for extended night light.

Centralizing the main base makes the whole world feel more accessible.
Labeling shortcuts helps too. Put signs next to wormholes indicating where they go.
A more overlooked shortcut is cave holes; there are typically a lot of exits that spawn near eachother, so keeping track of where each leads can significantly cut down on travel time and headaches. And having more playtime actually be 'playing' makes people more likely to want to come back.

...finally, don't leave pigs/bunnymen exposed to the world. Bunnymen might be more obvious, but Pigs have just as much of a murderous rage toward us Wortox/Webber players, and they've got one heck of a targeting range.

One more thing for the community side of it:
If you've got a somewhat uncentralized server, I suggest some basic, automated protection (mods). Having staff to solve the fringe scenarios is fine, but too much of the human element easily brings about he-said-she-said situations. If the server is going to be long term, then situational moderation can easily damage its reputation and create feuds. Automation, on the other hand, creates solid, fair rules. The Ownership mod is pretty great for public worlds and gives the option for people to easily team up and share their structures while also keeping them protected.
Give tribute to lord WX. Embrace the coming robot empire.

Bee2017    186
On 7/11/2019 at 11:34 AM, Flapjacks said:

You can host your own server to practice fighting the bosses solo.  Learn how to survive every season Winter and Summer.  Watch youtube videos to learn the basics of the game.   If I join a long term server I ask ppl questions even before I pick a character.  You can chat with ppl before entering the game.   Have a thick skin you will be kick on public servers don't take it personally just enjoy the game.  

GetNerfedOn    2,944
On 7/12/2019 at 12:51 AM, Albus321 said:

Some people hate that

Btw here you have 

Credit: @JamesBucket

*Just skip step 7 *

we need a new ettiquette and courtesy thread. a shame the old one went down :(

Mattyington    545
On 11/07/2019 at 12:43 AM, Flapjacks said:

( . . . )I instantly get vote kicked by the players in the server because it said I was burning trees in the top of the screen (. . .)

This is why we can't trust vegans.