Dupe self preservation

There are still s annoying was a dupe can die:

Most prominent is that a dupe builds or digs in a no oxygen area in a way he cannot return to the base and the suffocating notice comes too late

In the last version a prominent way was that they just did not eat and starved to death. I wish they would keep themselfs fed with 3000-4000 if enough food is there.

Dupes completely ignore unsafe areas, if a pipe breaks during steel refinement and emits a bunch of steam you can be sure to have 1-6 dupes incapacitated if you let them do what they want.

They really seek out the worst places to sleep if they dont find a bed in time. Especially they like to sleep in hot scalding hot places and in low oxygen places. Also they often enough do this when their bed is reachable.

Also a little side note: It would be cool if animals try to preserve themselves too, especially wild slicksters were better when they did not drown in oil...

I've never had a slickster drown in oil.  Can you give me a method to reproduce that problem?  Is this a new thing?  My slicksters will swim in oil, but I've never seen one drown.

And.. if you're breaking pipes during steel refinement, then I'd definitely expect dupes to get scalded if they're in the vicinity.  They're not the brightest little minds, but they sure do try!

7 hours ago, Rainbowdesign said:

In the last version a prominent way was that they just did not eat and starved to death. I

My favorite and only deathes I have to moan in the last patches are when the stress animation takes so long that my duplicants starve while crying or doing other bad stuff.

(Ok the game isn´t fine tuned for ravanging hunger, but I prefer 2000kcal consumption and the daily risk of starvation.)

Dupe digging a hole he can`t get out of is the players fault 90% of the time. If you start the dig with a ladder it won`t happen unless there`s some sort of weird layout allowing them to get in and easily stuck themselves. I don`t really see a way to easily prevent this type of suicides though. Only by a better "dupe stuck" notification when he can`t get back to the base.

I can agree that dupes tend to eat to little and keep themselves at the edge of starvation. While it`s ok earlygame when food is sparse later when you got surplus they could easily pick up more and eat to full.

Hot zones should make them run similar to when suffocating imo. Well at least when they go below 50% hp. Sometimes you want them to finish the job even though it`s dangerous. That could be limited to red alert scenarios though. As for critters i`d be ok if they avoided areas outside their comfort zones.

4 hours ago, Rainbowdesign said:

Maybe you would like g5457s challenge:

457140_20180621204256_1.thumb.png.990bb5

457140_20180727093954_1.thumb.png.761288

Its did always fascinate me when people feel for pixel animal / humans like they were real animals / humans.

What challenge is that? Your link goes to a profile, not a topic/etc.

The challenge is either here:

or in the challenges forum, however if you look at the screenshot it should be obvious from the basename: 10000 Dead dupes please

And i did not mention it further because its offtopic - unless its 10000 Dead dupes by suicide from stupidity please.

"Dupe digging a hole he can`t get out of is the players fault 90% of the time."

Last time dupe died when i did dig upwards i marked a ladder to build and then marked to dig sidewards dupe did dig something behind him there was a gap of 2 tiles and no breathable air.

And the usually nofatal but very annoying case dupe should build a wall to enclose the colony there is a little cave dupes builds the wall and ends in the cave.

15 hours ago, nakomaru said:

I had to check some formulas from my old college textbooks and review some linear algebra theory, but I think I figured this one out.

Clipboard01.thumb.png.e19737fbe0316b1f0a32476685d52a01.png

But what if you don't have refined metal to make the metal tiles out of? Checkmate.

Instructions unclear, drowned Meep in sewage.

On 10/07/2019 at 7:53 AM, Rainbowdesign said:

They really seek out the worst places to sleep if they dont find a bed in time. Especially they like to sleep in hot scalding hot places and in low oxygen places. Also they often enough do this when their bed is reachable.

I was testing an airlock design. They were trying to sleep in it.

I don't even.

I wish dupes could eat like for 10 cycles of food so they can last.

Maybe dupe can eat 1.5 cycle reserve each cycle and gain maximum of 10 cycles of food? Some trench coat black holes dupe maybe can eat for 2 cycles per one cycle. :D

Archived