Jump to content

My thoughts on the "Moon" so far


Recommended Posts

I won't be including effects of full moon from RoG since, let's be honset here, team that was making RoG definitelly had no idea that Lunar Islands would be a thing. So unless dst gives us something more on werepigism, mushtrees and glommer I won't consider them a part of "Moon"'s abilities.

About the islands themselves.

Lunar Islands are a part of the "Moon" that, as a result of some event, fell and crashed into (most likely) a grassland of the Constant. This is confirmed by the presence of carrots, dragonfruits, spiders and saplings. Creation of Lunar Islands resulted in an event that caused ocean levels to rise dramatically.

Lunar Islands appear to be drawing ocean waves to them as they are the only place where we can find driftwood. They also lure ocean creatures- skeletons of fish and starfish traps.

About the "Moon"'s abilities

"Moon" has 4 abilities that we can witness in dst.

-Giving life- Carrats and Saladmanders are carrots and dragonfruits which have been given life by the "Moon". They look normal and act natural. Don't seem like monstrosities. "Moon" giving life has no negative effects.

-Reviving- Many people have said that Horror Hounds and Moonrock Penguls are mutants created by the "Moon". Imo that's incorrect. They are corpses of those animals revived by the "Moon". It's pretty clear since Horror Hounds spawn only from dead Hounds and Moonrock Pengull is just Pungull's corpse frozen in ice. "Moon" can revive at a cost- apparently skin. This may kinda explain why heads on sticks open their eyes and ghosts rise from their graves on full moon.

-Mutating- Shattered Spiders are the only creature so far mutated by the "Moon". It appears that creatures mutated by the "Moon" have somthing to do with rocks.

Also saplings (that we get sticks from) look different on Lunar Islands so there's that.

-Petrifying- Shattered Spiders' Hole is a Spider Queen turned into a stone. Or at least semi-turned. There're also Werepigs and Hounds durring Full moon event, which turn into a moonrock at the end of it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Another thing that I forgot to add is the connection between shadow and lunar magic. Them and the "Moon".

They are the exact opposite of each other. It's confirmed in the fact that you can only fight Shadow Pieces durring a new moon, when "Moon"'s eyes are closed. And that durring full moon darkness is completely gone.

It appears that "Moon" might be an enemy of Them, that They aren't the only "gods" of Constant.

Tbh I hope that there'll be a lot more to lunar Islands in-game.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Szczuku said:

I won't be including effects of full moon from RoG since, let's be honset here, team that was making RoG definitelly had no idea that Lunar Islands would be a thing. So unless dst gives us something more on werepigism, mushtrees and glommer I won't consider them a part of "Moon"'s abilities.

While the past may not know what the future holds. The future team can build off the past. Still worth considering.

2 hours ago, Szczuku said:

Lunar Islands are a part of the "Moon" that, as a result of some event, fell and crashed into (most likely) a grassland of the Constant. This is confirmed by the presence of carrots, dragonfruits, spiders and saplings. Creation of Lunar Islands resulted in an event that caused ocean levels to rise dramatically.

Lunar Islands appear to be drawing ocean waves to them as they are the only place where we can find driftwood. They also lure ocean creatures- skeletons of fish and starfish traps.

The loading screen shows where the moon chunk crashes. Not grassland, but basically a deserted dead beach:

image.thumb.png.5ecba41390a7f1b93f31b7d22aae53ad.png

Nothing to do with the moon luring things.

2 hours ago, Szczuku said:

-Reviving- Many people have said that Horror Hounds and Moonrock Penguls are mutants created by the "Moon". Imo that's incorrect. They are corpses of those animals revived by the "Moon". It's pretty clear since Horror Hounds spawn only from dead Hounds and Moonrock Pengull is just Pungull's corpse frozen in ice. "Moon" can revive at a cost- apparently skin. This may kinda explain why heads on sticks open their eyes and ghosts rise from their graves on full moon.

People refer to them as mutated because that's their code name. "Mutant" literally just means: change or cause to change in form or nature. Which is entirely valid.

2 hours ago, Szczuku said:

-Giving life- 

-Reviving-

I would argue these two are the same.

2 hours ago, Szczuku said:

-Mutating- Shattered Spiders are the only creature so far mutated by the "Moon". It appears that creatures mutated by the "Moon" have somthing to do with rocks.

As said above, not the only mutated. The only merged with rock/crystal. Most notably crystal due to the other connection of Wormwood's crystal originating from the moon. So that's a shared theme.

3 minutes ago, Szczuku said:

They are the exact opposite of each other. It's confirmed in the fact that you can only fight Shadow Pieces durring a new moon, when "Moon"'s eyes are closed. And that durring full moon darkness is completely gone.

The only weird thing about that is how evil flowers are created during the Full Moon.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, Zeklo said:

The only weird thing about that is how evil flowers are created during the Full Moon.

Gah, I'm so confused about that, Since it seems like Celestial and Shadow magic oppose each other. I'm gonna pass that one off as the original don't starve development team didn't really think about the moon's power and just let that slide, That's only in original DS and it was changed for DST. Seems like they were planning the moon thing since the beginning of DST.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

53 minutes ago, Zeklo said:

1. While the past may not know what the future holds. The future team can build off the past. Still worth considering.

2. The loading screen shows where the moon chunk crashes. Not grassland, but basically a deserted dead beach:

Nothing to do with the moon luring things.

3. People refer to them as mutated because that's their code name. "Mutant" literally just means: change or cause to change in form or nature. Which is entirely valid.

I would argue these two are the same.

4. As said above, not the only mutated. The only merged with rock/crystal. Most notably crystal due to the other connection of Wormwood's crystal originating from the moon. So that's a shared theme.

5. The only weird thing about that is how evil flowers are created during the Full Moon.

1. Of course. I guess I could've worded that better. What I was trying to say is that (most of) RoG full moon effects don't fit into "Moon"'s abilities that we see in dst (of course that can probably be proven wrong). I was trying to avoid messy sentences like "Moon can give life, revive, mutate and perify" "...but also trigger curses, make mushrooms grow, spawn Glommer, awake ghosts and turn flowers into evil flowers"

2. Ah yes I forgot about it since loading screens don't show when creating worlds with caves. That makes it weird as to why there were carrots, dragonfruits, saplings and spiders there. I guess a lore hole "Driftwood and fish bones are only there cuz it's just that way". 

3. Well that's an issue on my English then- don't know exact definitions of each word.

By "giving life" I ment turning plants into animals. So far there are 3 (indicated by leafy meat and ability to walk): carrats, saladmanders and grass gekos (currently not present on lunar islands). Reviving is just reviving, bringing killed creatures back to life.

4. Indeed. So far the only crystal theme in lunar creatures. Pengulls and Hounds don't share that. (though I guess Pengulls' body are made of ice,  yet are still called "moonrock") Which is why I decided to separate Hounds and Pengulls from Spiders. Body horror + a hint of gore vs crystals + a little bit of body horror.

5. Which is why I decided to avoid talking about RoG full moon.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

35 minutes ago, Szczuku said:

1. Of course. I guess I could've worded that better. What I was trying to say is that (most of) RoG full moon effects don't fit into "Moon"'s abilities that we see in dst (of course that can probably be proven wrong). I was trying to avoid messy sentences like "Moon can give life, revive, mutate and perify" "...but also trigger curses, make mushrooms grow, spawn Glommer, awake ghosts and turn flowers into evil flowers"

2. Ah yes I forgot about it since loading screens don't show when creating worlds with caves. That makes it weird as to why there were carrots, dragonfruits, saplings and spiders there. I guess a lore hole "Driftwood and fish bones are only there cuz it's just that way". 

3. Well that's an issue on my English then- don't know exact definitions of each word.

By "giving life" I ment turning plants into animals. So far there are 3 (indicated by leafy meat and ability to walk): carrats, saladmanders and grass gekos (currently not present on lunar islands). Reviving is just reviving, bringing killed creatures back to life.

4. Indeed. So far the only crystal theme in lunar creatures. Pengulls and Hounds don't share that. (though I guess Pengulls' body are made of ice,  yet are still called "moonrock") Which is why I decided to separate Hounds and Pengulls from Spiders. Body horror + a hint of gore vs crystals + a little bit of body horror.

5. Which is why I decided to avoid talking about RoG full moon.

Perhaps there are several different things.

Moon creature(Moon looks like an eye here), does one type of effect

Spoiler

image.png.fa4d232b6d4fdfde8da93714a085e633.png

The spirits we see

and then maybe something else?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Hornete said:

Gah, I'm so confused about that, Since it seems like Celestial and Shadow magic oppose each other. I'm gonna pass that one off as the original don't starve development team didn't really think about the moon's power and just let that slide, That's only in original DS and it was changed for DST. Seems like they were planning the moon thing since the beginning of DST.

@Quoth143

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/6/2019 at 11:24 AM, Szczuku said:

-Giving life- Carrats and Saladmanders are carrots and dragonfruits which have been given life by the "Moon". They look normal and act natural. Don't seem like monstrosities. "Moon" giving life has no negative effects.

For a plant, I'd argue that is it the most monstrous. They didn't need to kill other things to live before, now they do.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I love the new biomes.

My only problem is the sea mechanic is far too convoluted to exist in DS without having its own core designed around it. The cardboard sea wasn't just the void, it kept all mechanics safely contained within an "arena". RoT isn't its own game like SW, it's a direct augmentation to the RoG experience.

How many countless exploits have been fixed, how many are left and how many more will there be? I'm very concerned once Klei is bored they'll just pull an Hamlet and leave all the mess in for ever.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/6/2019 at 2:16 PM, MrKoopa said:
  Hide contents

image.png.fa4d232b6d4fdfde8da93714a085e633.png

 

Just throwing this out here: I noticed earlier that that shadow is probably the space previously occupied by the chunk that Wicker says broke off of the moon when examining its statue.

I'm beginning to wonder if there's something in the core of the 'Moon'. And if maybe there is a giant eye in the center of the crater that just like...opens up and stares down at the world sometimes.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Please be aware that the content of this thread may be outdated and no longer applicable.

×
×
  • Create New...