So, what is left for cooling?

9 minutes ago, DustFireSky said:

Your duplicants can blow for the cooling. That would look funny, I think :D The Job description: "The Blow-Job" Blow everything to every time. Blow in groups for higher efficiency.

SCNR

I see you are about as thrilled with the current changes as I am ;)

So the way to cool thngs now are,

• Ice maker (good and cheap early game but not that efficient i think, but it'll do) ,
  • AETN (which is far away unless you got ice biome near your starting base, meaning this wont be viable till late mid game)
  • Ice Fan?
  • Aquatuner (I personally detest this machine. For some reason it heats up really fast,and it consume 1,2 KW of power, an absolute power user, and to minimine the heat, we would normally pair it with steam turbine, for the sake of efficiency and heat deletion.

As much as I can understand that we shldnt have anything in the game that can magically remove heat, except AETN and WW, even then those two require a resource and even more now for WW. 

Or I'll just let my colony stay at hot 40 degree till i find a cold biome to mitigate it with ice. :D

The real options are use tempshift plates with ice from external source from ice machine wont work unless you put the machine itself really far of the base and keep changing places when its close to 75c ' really bad and temporary", use steam turbine setups " the only way that will work on maps without AETN that by looks of it will be nerfed too just because". Thermo regulators isolated in a far area like the ice machines MAY work but i do not teste this yet. So turbines only, and in a lot of maps like oasis and aridia gl on that.

The vocal minority is so amusing. The people primarily using the heat deleting "feature" of the sieve are not new players as had been said many times. It is seasoned players who like the fire and forget simple solution. Now the solution isn't so simple. Adapt and overcome. It's a survival game. I'm almost 400 cycles into Aridio without using the sieve to delete heat (if anything in creating heat with 33C PW) and have found ways to adjust. I also have no slush geyser...yet and just got an aquatuner and turbine set up. It's difficult, but manageable and that's the nature of the game. 

3 minutes ago, Sasza22 said:

Perfect time to force people away from relying on fixed outputs.

And absolute worst time to nerv most other cooling options. The game is about giving the player a set of tools that allow a number of possible ways out. Not about reducing options massively and forcing one of a small number of solutions.

5 minutes ago, nivodeus said:

So the way to cool thngs now are,

• Ice maker (good and cheap early game but not that efficient i think, but it'll do) ,
  • AETN (which is far away unless you got ice biome near your starting base, meaning this wont be viable till late mid game)
  • Ice Fan?
  • Aquatuner (I personally detest this machine. For some reason it heats up really fast,and it consume 1,2 KW of power, an absolute power user, and to minimine the heat, we would normally pair it with steam turbine, for the sake of efficiency and heat deletion.

As much as I can understand that we shldnt have anything in the game that can magically remove heat, except AETN and WW, even then those two require a resource and even more now for WW. 

Or I'll just let my colony stay at hot 40 degree till i find a cold biome to mitigate it with ice. :D

Don't forget cooling your petroleum generator will allow it to output slush geyser level PW if you control the input of the ethanol or petroleum and cool with an aquatuner. The cooling potential of a cold petroleum generator is immense. 

You can do the same for natural gas generators 

and we can now add regolith cooling as a must do for late game and fully automate the sieve so no dupes can get to it or hot regolith will break the sieve.

4 minutes ago, DustFireSky said:

That would describe my feelings. :D I am thrilled to death! :p

yeah, right there with you. I am trying to stay positive but the more I test this the more dismayed I become.

39 minutes ago, situpc said:

Why would you input anything under 40C? We're talking about cooling, not heating.

I think he meant dumping heat into the input water is an option until it reaches 40C. Since the seive heats it up anyways you might as well.

3 hours ago, Gurgel said:

I see the nerved WWs, the nerved Ice Maker and the ATENs. Anything else requires you to heat something up and dispose of it somewhere. That assumes you have something you can heat up ans somewhere you can dispose of it.

Seems to me they are massively overdoing this. 

As many players you don't understand how the new water sieve works. :)

You can still delete heat since the sand is under 40°C.

sand1.png.bb78d04ee2b2aa8a2f6b503987c26ffd.png

1 minute ago, Gurgel said:

And absolute worst time to nerv most other cooling options. The game is about giving the player a set of tools that allow a number of possible ways out. Not about reducing options massively and forcing one of a small number of solutions.

Exactly what I feel right now. In a way, they are forcing you to focus on specific building or way to deal with heat. when it used to be many ways before. But, we get to choose the asteroid now and the traits, we could just roll frozen core, glacier and even stay at rime and dont even bother about heat at all, until dupes get to the core and freeze to death :) 

1 minute ago, axxionx12 said:

Don't forget cooling your petroleum generator will allow it to output slush geyser level PW if you control the input of the ethanol or petroleum and cool with an aquatuner. The cooling potential of a cold petroleum generator is immense 

This is cool, never really try this out. I know the output of gen is based on the input, but most of the time i never even bother with the input and just slap a couple of WW near my Pet gen. Since automation update, my pet gen rarely run 100% of the time, not with steam turbine to delete heat and all. 

I feel like at the end of the day, we will just cool one resource and use it as input for anything it could be used for. :)

1 minute ago, SamLogan said:

You can still delete heat since the sand is under 40°C.

I fully expect this to be a bug. It appears to be using the entire mass of filtration loaded in the machine for heat averaging. while this allows you to delete heat with cold filtration material, it blows up the sieve if hot filtration makes it in. Since we cannot control the temp of materials that dupes will use in buildings, it will cause regular breakage for less than optimal builds.

4 minutes ago, Sasza22 said:

It`s funny ho the minimum temperature is suddenly a problem when there is no top cap. When it was a fixed temperature everybody was fine with it being 40oC. Now it`s suddenly "unrealistic". I mean it wouldn`t hurt if it was 5oC but does it really matter?

The true problem is not the minimum but it no longer resetting hot water to 40. We got enough tools to handle 40, especially when we got colder polluted water. The challenge begins when we get hot pwater. It is possible to handle it.

But i`m biased. I hated the fixed output and downright refused to abuse it (right along with infinite storage). I expected people would be mad. Too many designs broken. Seems like a terrible moment to change it too. But after thinking about it it`s actually the best moment. The game changed so much that we need to design stuff from scratch. Perfect time to force people away from relying on fixed outputs.

Not having fixed output as a cooling method is fine but why only leave the heating aspect of it? To inflate the value of gulp fish? Maybe because they don't want to bother with balancing the world generation so they arbitrated some minimum outputs to create problems. If outputs had a minimum near the freezing point then it'd at least make sense but as things are now it's apparently too overpowered to even have input temp = output temp. Why does, for example, sieving cold polluted water need to be punished?

Also unlike the old system the new one isn't even consistent in a vacuum.

12 minutes ago, Sasza22 said:

It`s funny ho the minimum temperature is suddenly a problem when there is no top cap. When it was a fixed temperature everybody was fine with it being 40oC. Now it`s suddenly "unrealistic". I mean it wouldn`t hurt if it was 5oC but does it really matter?

The true problem is not the minimum but it no longer resetting hot water to 40. We got enough tools to handle 40, especially when we got colder polluted water. The challenge begins when we get hot pwater. It is possible to handle it.

But i`m biased. I hated the fixed output and downright refused to abuse it (right along with infinite storage). I expected people would be mad. Too many designs broken. Seems like a terrible moment to change it too. But after thinking about it it`s actually the best moment. The game changed so much that we need to design stuff from scratch. Perfect time to force people away from relying on fixed outputs.

Yes but it was a 2 way nerf not only it do not remove heat but it adds its just insane, even then i wanna try to play oasis with this patch just to see how unreal things have got. If they just had nerfed it to be dinamic " like a lot of ppl cryed a lot in the forums for sooooooo long " i would be ok with it because at least it makes sense 20c pw 20c water the " heating " from the machine operation is already there in the dtus when its working AND every other thing have that heat addition mechanic into them " if lower than 40 then becomes 40 if above it stays above " like what? Imagine natural gas generators, desanilatiors, ethanol that just got jumped into 70c, worts nerfed, dupe work time being greater " now you need a lot of meal lice on most maps", lettuce annihilation, beans useless, pufts useless. For me everything was ok but the ethanol production loop and the lettuce being too strong, now everything is crazy.

11 minutes ago, axxionx12 said:

The vocal minority is so amusing. 

You entirely mistake what is being criticized here. And you are hugely condescending, which makes matters worse. If the forum had an "ignore" option, I would be using it on you now. 

The problem is that the game gets narrow and boring if you have to go for a small number of very specific options, or at least for me it does. Just rebuilding what is known to work is not interesting in any way. I want to experiment and for that I need to have options. Klei just removed a whole lot of them. 

12 minutes ago, SamLogan said:

I do. I do also understand that the current behavior is pretty obviously an implementation error, a small detail you seem to have entirely missed. 

2 minutes ago, Gurgel said:

I do. I do also understand that the current behavior is pretty obviously an implementation error, a small detail you seem to have entirely missed. 

Or they write their post wrong. It could be that.

Just now, kerosene said:

I wonder if the crabs can produce cool sand.

I dont think anyone really take a look at it, since feeding crab is harder last update, since it's not in the creature feeder. Actually i never really know what is temperature of outputted resource from critter. Is it the same as critter body temp, or is it the same as the eaten resource? 

5 minutes ago, Gurgel said:

You entirely mistake what is being criticized here. And you are hugely condescending, which makes matters worse. If the forum had an "ignore" option, I would be using it on you now. 

The problem is that the game gets narrow and boring if you have to go for a small number of very specific options, or at least for me it does. Just rebuilding what is known to work is not interesting in any way. I want to experiment and for that I need to have options. Klei just removed a whole lot of them. 

The water sieve was a ridiculously simple way of managing heat - especially when it came to steam geyser heat problems. I would argue that this change requires you to be MORE creative with your builds. Throwing a fit across several threads is why I mentioned vocal minority 

1 minute ago, axxionx12 said:

The water sieve was a ridiculously simple way of managing heat - especially when it came to steam geyser heat problems. I would argue that this change requires you to be MORE creative with your builds. Throwing a fit across several threads is why I mentioned vocal minority 

You still miss the point completely. I will ignore you now, you have nothing worthwhile to say.

6 minutes ago, axxionx12 said:

The water sieve was a ridiculously simple way of managing heat - especially when it came to steam geyser heat problems. I would argue that this change requires you to be MORE creative with your builds.

It's a single player game. Nothing prevents you from not using the sieve this way in your games. What you are advocating is that I shouldn't be allowed to use the sieve for heat deletion because you think it's "too easy". See the condescension there?

1 hour ago, situpc said:

Unsurprisingly, all the players that don't mind the sieve minimum output temp change are also the ones that only play seeds with slush geysers ^

Something you just made up.  I don't mind the change and I would never ever look for specific seeds.  The game is too easy as it is.  What I'm hoping they add is a true random function so I don't even know what special attributes a planet has ahead of time.  The fun of the game is adapting to the map because the base game is just way too easy.

9 minutes ago, nonoxyl said:

It's a single player game. Nothing prevents you from not using the sieve this way in your games. What you are advocating is that I shouldn't be allowed to use the sieve for heat deletion because you think it's "too easy". See the condescension there?

Normally I would agree with you on the single player argument, but this fixed output was far too strong when the purpose of the sieve is to convert PW to water. Not delete immense amounts of heat.

A while back, I built a compact heat deleting system a while back that trivialized heat management more than I can imagine is intended. I didn't end up rebuilding it in my next playthrough.

Archived