World traits and their effects.

17 hours ago, SakuraKoi said:

Please get lost, boulders.

They just reappear after editing this post!:wilson_cry:

You also have to remove them from the media tray or they'll reinsert themselves at the end. 

2 hours ago, OxCD said:

As it is, everyone will try to get 0 boulder trait. There's no benefit, or no challenge, it will just be a wasted trait.

before the new update (the one which introduced a lot more world traits) i tried to get medium or large boulders in my worlds

18 minutes ago, natanstarke said:

Im hyped to start i new map i really wanted oceania but the copper start makes me want to go arboria... yeah arboria with frozen core, buried oil, subsurface ocean and geo active and or medium boulders.

yay, another person who (seem to) like boulders

Its not about "liking" them, exactly -- its that boulders disrupt the rest of the world generation.  This becomes an obstacle you have to work around -- at least until you get a digger that can handle obsidian.  They offer quite a bit of unpredictability as well, so I'm certain they're of interest to those who have previously complained that "there's no challenge because everything's always the same."  

My main problem with the boulders is that the large feel too large and you can have all 4 versions of them at the same time. 

If they're limited to no more than 1 (maybe 2) type per asteroid and the large are shrunk a bit, I wouldn't mind them. 

5 minutes ago, beowulf2010 said:

My main problem with the boulders is that the large feel too large and you can have all 4 versions of them at the same time.

Now that'd be a map:

Small boulders

Medium boulders

Large boulders

Mixed boulders

Missplaced pod actually gives a good reason to play a migration game.  Previously you always wanted to put your base around the pod because it was the most convenient location in virtually every respect.  With an unusual start, you have a genuinely good reason to relocate your entire base once you reach the center of the map.  Just keep a nice path open for dupes to make their way to and from the pod when they get skills or you print things.

16 hours ago, OxCD said:

Just need a code to always let at least one tile between map border and boulder. A ladder can sneak up.

Also, those boulders made of neutronium, could disturb, some time, but could also help to create partial perfect insulation, when wisely used. This sounds x100 much more fun for me, than actual obsidian.

As it is, everyone will try to get 0 boulder trait. There's no benefit, or no challenge, it will just be a wasted trait.

I click randomize a bunch of times with my hand over the results and then click accept.  I'm hoping for a true random button at some point.  I don't get the point of hunting for the world traits I prefer.  These are supposed to add flavor to the game and boulders add flavor.  Sure they could make them a bit more interesting but they aren't awful the way they are.

52 minutes ago, EnderCN said:

I click randomize a bunch of times with my hand over the results and then click accept.  I'm hoping for a true random button at some point.  I don't get the point of hunting for the world traits I prefer.  These are supposed to add flavor to the game and boulders add flavor.  Sure they could make them a bit more interesting but they aren't awful the way they are.

i should try this ...

do you do the same for dupes?

6 hours ago, metallichydra said:

i should try this ...

do you do the same for dupes?

No.  the morale system is too rigid for that.  That is the kind of change that just makes the early game frustrating and then any challenge it brings goes away once you get stable.

Edit: Though now that I think about it, with the new reroll system I could probably just select the job I want them to have and take the first dupe rolled.  That would at least give you the basics of what you need with morale without allowing you to completely ignore most of the challenge of random dupes.

Semi-updated the Glaciers and Boulders. Still need to gimp Igneous rock into the boulders and because I am petty, I will need a new large boulder.

Glaciers are spawned at a very cold temperature now.

Apart from the contents of the small and medium ones, those did not change. Large Boulders were reduced in size from 8-10 to 7-8.

Archived