How much material can be on a tile?

I am thinking about reducing Regolith by just dropping most of it onto a tile out of the way. Hence the question whether this just accumulates infinitely, runs into some limit and starts getting deleted, or whether I risk crashing the game?

I think there was some discussion about this in the past.

Yes, I have done Vole-farms in the past, but frankly I am too lazy to repeat that.

I am not in a position to test this. But I was actually thinking about this earlier today. 

I have heard people complain about an abundance of abyssallite, and discussions on reducing resources to make the game run smoother. This had me thinking,  has anyone tried dropping all their unneeded materials in a single spot, then burying it with sand or something? 

I know that material setting on the ground has to be processed for pathing and heat exchange, but what about a material that is considered "buried"? 

4 minutes ago, Gracefulmuse said:

I know that material setting on the ground has to be processed for pathing and heat exchange, but what about a material that is considered "buried"? 

Interesting question!

Burried material is still there, and has to be processed. Everything present is there, regardless if you see it or not. 

The easiest way would be, if you have sandbox mode enabled, to accumulate the material at one spot, and every now and then, use the "clear floor" utility to get rid of it.

Using the technical limit of floats in C#, the upper limit is 340282300000000000000000000000000000000 kg. While I haven't actually tested what happens when you hit this limit, I assume nothing bad will happen as long as no number in the inventory (upper right list) exceeds this number.

1 minute ago, Saturnus said:

So the upper limit described by @Nightinggale above is probably that number of separate 25t piles. 

The inventory adds up all the piles and all the storage buildings. The number I mentioned would be the upper limit for the combined mass of all of those. However it doesn't really matter because the number is so big. You need to place 3.46 * 10^30 tons on each cell to reach that limit. It doesn't sound particularly realistic to me for anybody to get anywhere near that amount.

From what I can tell in the source, all numbers are stored in kg. The display code can change it to grams, tons and whatever else we can think of, but the internal storage is still in kg, hence the limit is the number in kg. Having internal storage in more than one unit is confusing and makes your code prone to bugs and before you know it, 1 meter = 1 foot and then your spacecraft crash into Mars instead of the planned orbit.

I'm actually doing this, approximately. All the rego is moved into a steam chamber. That way, it's free energy using the steam turbine, until the rego reach 125° (set t°).

Secondly, indeed, it allows me to pile up all those tons of rego. As far as I've seen, dups are dropping off rego regularly. I don't know how to check how much I have, but surely I've hundred tons, and probably thousand tons.

MAYBE, the tile type I'm using (metal tile here) gives something different than a rock tile. Still need to be tested.

image.png

2 minutes ago, OxCD said:

I'm actually doing this, approximately. All the rego is moved into a steam chamber. That way, it's free energy using the steam turbine, until the rego reach 125° (set t°).

Not a unique idea, but still a good one. You can improve on it though. Add the Sensory Overload mod, build an Item Temperature Sensor where the rego is placed. Set it to below 125 C and use the automation signal to control the automation arm. The arm will then be on whenever the hottest rego is max 125 C. This will make your system remove rego when it's so cold that it is cooling down the steam without adding the risk that it takes something out, which is too hot.

In fact when I wrote this sensor, my idea was to use it for detecting when metal, glass, rego or whatever has cooled enough to be transferred to the next location. Using metal volcanoes can be tricky if you have no automation to tell when the metal has cooled enough to take into your base.

11 minutes ago, Nightinggale said:

Not a unique idea, but still a good one. You can improve on it though. Add the Sensory Overload mod, build an Item Temperature Sensor where the rego is placed. Set it to below 125 C and use the automation signal to control the automation arm. The arm will then be on whenever the hottest rego is max 125 C. This will make your system remove rego when it's so cold that it is cooling down the steam without adding the risk that it takes something out, which is too hot.

In fact when I wrote this sensor, my idea was to use it for detecting when metal, glass, rego or whatever has cooled enough to be transferred to the next location. Using metal volcanoes can be tricky if you have no automation to tell when the metal has cooled enough to take into your base.

Thanks but by convention I'm playing no mod & no glitch rules :)

The sweeper is just here to feed ranched shove voles.

8 hours ago, OxCD said:

I don't know how to check how much I have, but surely I've hundred tons, and probably thousand tons.

From the screenshot, you seem to have about 10'000t. The steam-chamber is a good idea.

14 hours ago, Sasza22 said:

Is the issue with loose regolith changing into tiles on game load still there? I`m pretty sure i still had it at QoL2.

This happens on game load? I had the impression that shove voles are responsible for that.

1 hour ago, Lacost said:

This happens on game load? I had the impression that shove voles are responsible for that.

That one is still there. I kill or contain all voles to prevent that. Pretty annoying otherwise.

8 hours ago, Lacost said:

Voles do that as well but it used to form large pillars after load, like up to 10 tiles high sometimes. Good to know it`s gone. It was really annoying for my telescope setups.

On 5/20/2019 at 2:23 AM, Gracefulmuse said:

I am not in a position to test this. But I was actually thinking about this earlier today. 

I have heard people complain about an abundance of abyssallite, and discussions on reducing resources to make the game run smoother. This had me thinking,  has anyone tried dropping all their unneeded materials in a single spot, then burying it with sand or something? 

ive been doing this for several game patches now.. perhaps a year (wow time has flown if so)  with no problems or lost resources. fewer drawn items probably reduces lag, i'm hoping anyway

10 hours ago, Gurgel said:

That one is still there. I kill or contain all voles to prevent that. Pretty annoying otherwise.

yes.  ive been killing all voles since they were first introduced and i ran into that annoyance

I used the drop off storage container to sweep all the debris on the map into 8 different piles. Two sets of four really.

Once it gets large enough you have no idea whats on the tile as the list goes off the screen. My only real estimates is the decor hit which is -1800 on the large pile. This sweep really helped speed up my game more than anything else.

3 minutes ago, Oozinator said:

Perhaps someone can mod a pressure plate, to show such amounts..

Show what? The total weight of all items on the cell? Doesn't it already do that?

Modding the current weight is fair simple, providing what it should show is at least somewhat accessible. If you have a request, do tell but please be specific enough for me to actually know what you are thinking ;)

33 minutes ago, Oozinator said:

So far i remember max is/was 2000Kg?

That's the trigger condition. If you click on it to get the current mass it will show the full mass. Granted it shows the weight in kg regardless of how much there is, but I still managed to get a reading of more than 4000 tons. I see no reason to mod this.

7 hours ago, JohnFrancis said:

This sweep really helped speed up my game more than anything else.

Good info. Thanks.

4 hours ago, Nightinggale said:

Granted it shows the weight in kg regardless of how much there is, but I still managed to get a reading of more than 4000 tons.

And good info as well. If it is a short-float with kg resolution (once it reaches some upper threshold), it should display up to around 8400t.

Archived