Dear Klei, Regarding the recent Winter update

osadat

Wow.. Re-starting the learning curve was only one of his concerns.

I've never seen a Dev blow off criticism with such contempt before.

How sad. You're free to view your world from an Ivory tower if you wish. It's your game.

Be advised that surrounding yourself with yes-men is not how to capture the largest market and sell more copies.

You may respond to this if you wish, but I won't see it. Your response to wobbl3r is so offensive to me that I'm deleting my account after this post.

As much as I had a rep around here for complaining, I really did love your game. One of my main concerns was the way negative (but constructive feedback) was received by your tight little group of fanbois. My hope was while it's certainly a hostile forum for anyone who would dare voice concern over something they didn't like, perhaps the Devs were still listening.

I was wrong. Clearly, you don't want to hear it.

So be it.

You want my honest opinion? Fine:

I am so glad you're not going to whine anymore...

Because clearly, you don't know how hard it is to develop a game..

I'm leaving, Boo Hoo.

Hope you get those crazy reading glasses off someday, so you can actually understand what others are implying without reading so much negativity into every post. You hold the developers, and anyone with an opinion you don't agree with, to a standard you yourself don't uphold.

Fight on Devs, fight on. As a programmer myself I appreciate the constant struggle to find the best outcome (tweaks, releasing new updates, etc).As for this update, I love how now there is little to no "comfort zone" where you feel like you are safe, there is a constant need to feel safe that is hardly ever satisfied. Also, instead of feeling completely dominant over the environment, I now feel I must engage in battles with worthy opponents and its more like survival of the fittest (eg trying to get silk from spiders, meat from beefalos).

Please keep being bold. Please keep pulling the players out of our comfort zones. It is now the time to be bold is here. So far I sunk 50 hours into this game. FIFTY HOURS! Damnit. My wife asks me "Oh, you're chopping trees again?" and I can only say to her that for me, this is Relaxation :) And players adapt. They always did. This weeks Impossable OMG Odds, will be trivial in 14 days. So, from an excited beta player who also get frustrated, I encourage you to do bold experiments. See where this can go, and Winter Update is perhaps the most fundamentally changing and exciting thing to happen to Don't Starve since I jumped on board at the Spoiled Rotten updaste.

That's the spirit! +2The game has improved a lot in this update. I will never forget my death by fly explosion, as long as I live.

I fear [MENTION=7878]Daddums[/MENTION] has already left but, no matter how negative his posts seemed, he always seemed to get at least two negative responses to it. They negativity goes both ways, and I think we can ALL improve.

Exactly. I don't post often, but I do read the forums quite a bit. So, when I do decide to post an opinion, and I get some snarky reply from a "Senior" member, it just leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

[MENTION=2033]Palpetinus[/MENTION] what do you have against the current wilson?!

Why would you think i have something against him? I friggin' love Wilson. I only play as him bcs i like his syle :DFact: In my LPs i will only play as him. Because.. just because. Edited by Palpetinus

See, i have the same problem as osadat. but when i do custom sandbox, i cant use a crockpot ( no big deal i suppose, i guess i can live without) but in adventure mode, i bum rush to craft a science and alchemy machine, build an icebox, i usually have about 100 carrots or so by day 10. sadly i run into the problem i cant build a farm, or half of my needs until between day 10-13. by then i have 1-2 days until i get hit with winter. then i die from frost ( i cant make a vest because i cant fight spiders, i get overwhelmed) i cant farm morsels because Kraumps come in and destroy everything, then kill me in turn. or i go insane and the illusions kill me. ive never seen the second summer. i also notice if you cannot catch the boomerang, it will kill you, and sometimes i cant catch it either due to lag, or im kiting. im not complaining, i do love the game, im more asking for either some buffs on characters and maybe beefalo spawn chance... or maybe to all players here, a better strategy.

I think people may have this game confused with minecraft.The point of Don't Starve isn't to build a snazzy farm to show all your Call of Duty buddies.The point is to NOT STARVE. Kudos to Kevin for making Winter actually cause you to starve.

Solvite, I'd still say that if you get some COD'er to build a snazzy farm in Minecraft, Creativity already won a major victory :) Don't Starve is also creative, but the playpieces are fewer than Minecraft. They are also more focussed. Don't Starve has this goal for you as a player. Where as Minecraft has "do whatever, as long as you have fun" as its goal.I get killed in day 12 still, just because I try to do stuff differently. And get 'orribly punished by it :)

Solvite, I'd still say that if you get some COD'er to build a snazzy farm in Minecraft, Creativity already won a major victory :)

Let's not get into stereotyping gamers like that. I play COD, Minecraft, and Don't Starve. I view them as completely different games, and just because someone plays COD does not mean they have no creativity.But I do agree that people try to inject elements of Minecraft into their suggestions for this game and I hope the dev's can keep it all straight

Lol, you are too slow, at day 5 I already have a bush and grass farm, already am near beefaloes or pigs, already have some silk and wool ( except if I don't find beefaloes... ) for a hat, already have enough food, at day 10 I already have all the machines and the crock pot, for food. I don't think I am a "pro" don't starve player, so it's just you that are too slow !

Let's not get into stereotyping gamers like that. I play COD, Minecraft, and Don't Starve. I view them as completely different games, and just because someone plays COD does not mean they have no creativity.But I do agree that people try to inject elements of Minecraft into their suggestions for this game and I hope the dev's can keep it all straight

Minecraft was once great, but when Notch left, it slowly started to become ****...CoD is a commercial game, where it's not the skill that count, but the money you spend, also it's pretty easy, it's the classic game you buy to a kid, in all seriousness.Don't Starve is great, hard, not that famous ( which is good, because you saw what happened to Minecraft, that hoard of kids coming, horrible ), constantly updated with awesome content that makes the game harder/better and renew a lot of things, Klei doesn't add cats or mods done by players, like Mojang does, not saying that it wouldn't be a good idea, just it has to be revisited, not straight copied into the game.THIS REPLY IN A NUTSHELL: If you play CoD, shame on you, like if you use a Mac, just shame.

Wow.. Re-starting the learning curve was only one of his concerns.

I've never seen a Dev blow off criticism with such contempt before.

How sad. You're free to view your world from an Ivory tower if you wish. It's your game.

Be advised that surrounding yourself with yes-men is not how to capture the largest market and sell more copies.

You may respond to this if you wish, but I won't see it. Your response to wobbl3r is so offensive to me that I'm deleting my account after this post.

As much as I had a rep around here for complaining, I really did love your game. One of my main concerns was the way negative (but constructive feedback) was received by your tight little group of fanbois. My hope was while it's certainly a hostile forum for anyone who would dare voice concern over something they didn't like, perhaps the Devs were still listening.

I was wrong. Clearly, you don't want to hear it.

So be it.

Heh, americans.

Minecraft was once great, but when Notch left, it slowly started to become ****...CoD is a commercial game, where it's not the skill that count, but the money you spend, also it's pretty easy, it's the classic game you buy to a kid, in all seriousness.Don't Starve is great, hard, not that famous ( which is good, because you saw what happened to Minecraft, that hoard of kids coming, horrible ), constantly updated with awesome content that makes the game harder/better and renew a lot of things, Klei doesn't add cats or mods done by players, like Mojang does, not saying that it wouldn't be a good idea, just it has to be revisited, not straight copied into the game.THIS REPLY IN A NUTSHELL: If you play CoD, shame on you, like if you use a Mac, just shame.

Keep it classy, everyone is entitled to their own opinions and you shouldn't slam people (or games) regardless their opinion. My point was that they are 3 completely different games and they each have their own appeal. I'm not here to argue that any of them are better than each other, just trying to keep the insulting to a minimum.