Doors in a kill room delete water

3 minutes ago, Tobruk said:

Hi,

I tried a kill room from this site: https://medium.com/schematics-not-included/post-qol-upgrade-mk2-hatch-killing-room-7a39abebf964

1*-kJB6AZkT-KaHcSgjhMz1g.jpeg

However, every time the kill room goes through its cycle, some/all of the water disappears.

When lower doors are closing and water has nowhere to go, it sure will be deleted.
Open upper doors, before lowers are closed (when needed).

4 minutes ago, Tobruk said:

Hi,

I tried a kill room from this site: https://medium.com/schematics-not-included/post-qol-upgrade-mk2-hatch-killing-room-7a39abebf964

However, every time the kill room goes through its cycle, some/all of the water disappears.

I'd replace the top set of mech doors with mesh tiles and fill the mesh tiles with water so that the water is two tiles deep. Then you can replace all the convoluted automation with a simple not gate.

That setup can be much improved, so it doesn't delete water.
sh7WDFe.jpg

This is a proof of concept version I made ages ago. The way it works, is, normally the doors are open, and the water is like it is now.
When it's time to kill, first the bottom row of doors close, then the top row closes. This pushes the water upwards, but doesn't delete it.
The room gets flooded, and the hatches inside die.
Then the doors open again, and the water falls back down, and the room is ready to receive more hatches.

I don't have an image of it, but I since improved upon this design. Increasing the number of rows of doors, so there's more water that gets moved, the top of the room is changed to also be made out of mesh tiles, with a pneumatic door on one side to allow entry, with an electric door on the outside of that, which also gets locked when it's time to raise the water and kill the contents of the room.
With this setup, the whole room gets submerged ( the water also fills up the mesh tiles of the ceiling, to ensure that there's no pockets of gas anywhere )
This allows for using the kill room also for drecko's as they will drown even when trying to hide on the ceiling.

I just did a quick test to make a killroom to see how minimal it can be.

5ccc7f1113826_killroom.thumb.jpg.ab5045ead9182d0ca41801554cfb78f1.jpg

The door on top is always open and serves to ensure that the room is indeed a room and not influenced by outside critters.

The critter sensor is set to 0 and the output goes through a NOT gate to the door. This way the door will close when there is a critter in the room and open when there isn't any. There are 4 tiles full of water.

When a hatch is added, the door closes, drowning the hatch. As soon as the hatch dies, the door opens and the water goes back down, creating a dry floor to walk on and a non-flooded critter drop off.

You can expand on this to only make it flood at night or whatever you want, but this seems to be the simplest approach to a working kill room that I can come up with.

9 minutes ago, suicide commando said:

@NightinGale Nice micro set up. Only downside is that this can't kill drecko's for that, you need to set it up so the entire room gets flooded and is closed.

That's mainly because I didn't try to get dreckos, only hatches. However it can easily be expanded to handle dreckos as well. Just add 2 more doors. Each door then has a buffer gate. Bottom has a delay of 10, middle of 15, top at 20. This will make water start to flood after 10 seconds, giving the dupe plenty of time to get out without getting wet (an improvement over the previous one where water floods instantly) and it spends 10 seconds filling the room to avoid deleting water.

It still needs to be the NOT output of the critter censor meaning the path from sensor to door will be not gate and then buffer gate.

That should do it. Obviously the top will have to be closed and has to be a pneumatic door to allow gasses to escape. Getting dreckos too is doable, but it requires 2 rows more of tiles and more buildings materials and it's arguably not as minimalistic and simple. My goal was to see how little you have to do to get a killroom for hatches.

19 hours ago, Nightinggale said:

I just did a quick test to make a killroom to see how minimal it can be.

5ccc7f1113826_killroom.thumb.jpg.ab5045ead9182d0ca41801554cfb78f1.jpg

The door on top is always open and serves to ensure that the room is indeed a room and not influenced by outside critters.

The critter sensor is set to 0 and the output goes through a NOT gate to the door. This way the door will close when there is a critter in the room and open when there isn't any. There are 4 tiles full of water.

When a hatch is added, the door closes, drowning the hatch. As soon as the hatch dies, the door opens and the water goes back down, creating a dry floor to walk on and a non-flooded critter drop off.

You can expand on this to only make it flood at night or whatever you want, but this seems to be the simplest approach to a working kill room that I can come up with.

Instead of a creature drop off, why not drop eggs into the 1 tile of water and have them die when they hatch?

If you are just killing eggs you can use something without doors.  If you sent slicksters in there they would die of starvation.

20190504162629_1.thumb.jpg.197970c8a157c0456b22663796fe7d88.jpg

20190504162700_1.thumb.jpg.89a12daa3eee5741fb041871d4ccaea0.jpg

That puft is already dead.  The lag hasn't caught up.

no doors required; a little more simple than the ones above. Sweepers get the eggs and drop them in the water.  Dups grab the meat but obviously you could sweep that too.  I keep one unpowered incubator to maintain population.

image.thumb.png.538ca6a3e53018843db8edfd7c1951d5.png

I do something similar to Chemie, but I make it a bit bigger so I can lock dupes out and just use an autosweeper to get the meat and egg shells. 

Why? So that I can have a conveyor loader set to manual load to get rid of random drecko eggs laying around the map. :D

Here's an old and larger version before the ore droppers were added. Note: The Outer door should be locked. 20190224100332_1.thumb.jpg.2850f128a694b940a7a11f74774f8fbb.jpg

3 hours ago, Oozinator said:

Why those single firepoles, at each floor?

At that point I hadn't dug out enough gold amalgam to make fire poles for the entire shaft. This was before you could overwrite ladders with the fire poles so I didn't want to have to deconstruct a bunch of single ladders when it was time to build the poles. 

Archived