Thoughts on the Obsidian Tools?

Title. Personally I find them a bit too much of a fire hazard to be worth using, and switching between two to keep the charge down often results in overheating and uses up an inventory slot. The sole exception to this being the Obsidian Spear, which is really only good at one thing, but it's REALLY good at it. That thing being absolutely destroying RoG's Ruins. It gives off light even when its unequipped and can deal over 100 damage at max charge, which you'll often be at, since its the Ruins and all, and most meaningful loot dropped by Ruins enemies isn't flammable.

As for the other miscellaneous Obsidian items, the Sail Stick isn't worth the time, the Howling Conch is good for RoG Summer (rain = no smoldering), Obsidian Coconades are a mediocre investment, Obsidian Armor is for fighting Dragonfly the first time, and the Volcano Staff is nice, but would be nicer if it worked outside of SW.

They're great. You can just throw them into the water in Hamlet or SW to instantly cool them down, and then start chopping again.
Obsidian spears are great for RoG winter, too. You can just place down and kill a meat bulb every once in a while for warmth.

The spear is great with the spear gun. Aggro monkeys or merms, jump on a boat and then shoot them as they run to the shore after you. The spear won’t overheat because it will fall in the water. I like to base near fisher merms, and this is a good way to clear our the basic merms. You can’t really kite the crowd of them that comes out when you hammer their houses. Or I can’t, at least.

they are all great in my opinion, the quicker harvesting speed they have is just amazing and if you bring a few into ROG they make winter even more of a joke, not to mention the spear can be used to absolutely melt bosses, without a mod to show health it can be a bit risky for the drops if you aren't careful, but other then that, they are just great in every situation, a shame there is no pickaxe variant though.

If you use the axe in Hurricane season it won’t set trees on fire also it won’t cause  overheating. What I do is make a bunch of obsidian axes then when the season comes chop down an entire forest. Make sure to put down a lightning rod. Hurricane season can be very “generous” with its lightnings. 

Archived