Wagstaff shouldn't have Blurred Vision

I feel that Wagstaff's blurred vision is hard to play with currently.

it strains my eyes due to a similar effect that you get while low on sanity tho the sanity effect can be disabled in the game.

a simple Filter option for the Blur effect that can be turned off from options like Wigrid's umalauts will GREATLY help if possible~

Edit*

A mod for disabling Blurred effects:

Spoiler

Thank you @CarlZalph!

I think Blurred Vision is a great mechanic. It changes gameplay and makes Wagstaff specific character. Weak stomach more like Warbucks's sanity penalty for raw food, and it is'nt very disturbing. 
Also Wagstaff has really powerful craftable things  and blurred vision balances his accomplishments. Without it Wagstaff can become OP and not such interesting character as he is now.

What kind of headgear is so important in vanilla ds? A winter hat? 

We already have Woodlegs, Wolfgang , Wormwood, Wilba and Willow with flaws related to sanity . 

The only issue i see with blurry vision is that it can be problematic to some people irl, but his headgear kinda fixes it and soon enough someone will mod it out . 

His weak stomach is an issue only for raw and dried stuff which im pretty sure is less of a big deal than penalty for stale/spoiled food

Just because Winona has no flaws, doesn't mean he also shouldn't have any. 

On 4/21/2019 at 11:16 AM, Hx380 said:

The only issue i see with blurry vision is that it can be problematic to some people irl, but his headgear kinda fixes it and soon enough someone will mod it out . 

Already ready and have the code to do it, just waiting to see if anyone has a backup of my overlays disabler mod with hamlet support in it.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=368664169

It's in and mod's all fully functional again, thanks to Amnesiac there on Steam.

50 minutes ago, MWY said:

I personally feel that Wagstaff's disadvantage as character is too much considering he already has weakness of a weak stomach similar to Wickerbottom.

However his blurred vision is quite a hassle and can make him quite difficult to play with in regular DS world
(he is a Vanilla character after all)

He needs to wear goggles all the time to avoid this and can't wear other types of headgear which are very important due to seasons.

He should have a disadvantage related to his Sanity rather then his vision cause naturally a Mad Scientist should obviously have something going on with his Sanity that is more bad for him then anything else.

Also if we compare him to another character in DST which is Winona, she has no weakness at all (Literally Wilson without beard) and has a special Crafting tab as well that gives her a great advantages compared to other characters as of recent with no drawbacks whatsoever.

changing the focus to sanity would completely break his whole character

he is disabled ... that's his weakness... he is an old guy... makes a whole lot of sense

IMO it would be so lame if the focus changed to sanity... why

I don't think his disadvantage is so much cuz all his gear doesn't stop him in fog and he has means for pretty much any situation

the only aspect I think that should improved is an analogue to the Gas Mask 

as @Hx380 said before.. you can easily craft infragoglgles in case you are short on pig skin..

He has different mechanics.. why make all character the same??

1 hour ago, MWY said:

He needs to wear goggles all the time to avoid this and can't wear other types of headgear which are very important due to seasons

What do you really need? The Winter hat? If so, I feel a new goggle meant for warming/cooling would be fine, but there's other warmer methods.

I like his blurred vision, he's old, it makes sense. He's got armor, so no need for a football helmet. 
I'd hate to see him revolve around Sanity like almost every other character, this is actually really unique and works out overall.

10 minutes ago, Angel_Octoling said:

What do you really need? The Winter hat? If so, I feel a new goggle meant for warming/cooling would be fine, but there's other warmer methods.

I like his blurred vision, he's old, it makes sense. He's got armor, so no need for a football helmet. 
I'd hate to see him revolve around Sanity like almost every other character, this is actually really unique and works out overall.

its like requiring a constant Headgear to negate a disadvantage that present with the player no matter what
(similar to Wigfrid having to wear a Gasmask in order to avoid Hayfever in Hamlet which is quite a disadvantage).

what I meant is also the blurred vision is hard for me to play the game with as well, I'm an artist myself and tend to work too much with my eyes and have to disable the tendrils and blurry effects we get when we have low sanity which makes it really hard for me to play sometimes, on the other hand I would prefer a disadvantage that is similar to other characters and thus more related to DS as whole as the character itself is made for the Vanilla game.

1 hour ago, MWY said:

He needs to wear goggles all the time to avoid this and can't wear other types of headgear which are very important due to seasons.

ok... I think people don't get one fact...

this update was pretty much based around inventory: Wagstaff has to rely on body clothing and armor to compensate for having to wear goggles vs Wheeler with reduced inventory and more reliance on a backpack

anyways

---

presenting to you.... body clothing!!

there are soooo many body armor and clothing options.. you don't really need a backpack or helmets to survive if you know how to prioritize your inventory and you can always use Ro Bin and bundling wraps for more space...

3 minutes ago, Hatano Eichero said:

I think Wagstaff just is not a characte for you. I really like his disadvantage and it seems plenty of others do as well.

that's really sad to hear since he is technically a character I can relate to myself in real life and like him a lot.
(an inventor and an crazy old pappy)

10 minutes ago, MWY said:

its like requiring a constant Headgear to negate a disadvantage that present with the player no matter what
(similar to Wigfrid having to wear a Gasmask in order to avoid Hayfever in Hamlet which is quite a disadvantage).

what I meant is also the blurred vision is hard for me to play the game with as well, I'm an artist myself and tend to work too much with my eyes and have to disable the tendrils and blurry effects we get when we have low sanity which makes it really hard for me to play sometimes, on the other hand I would prefer a disadvantage that is similar to other characters and thus more related to DS as whole as the character itself is made for the Vanilla game.

that's a valid concern.. and I am also very sensitive to visual effects.. but tbh I just don't see the need to use other head hear outside his own

if we ask to change him is gonna be .. ultimately.. a loss... for everybody

he just has different mechanics and tbh you would be better to rely heavily on body armor and drop backpack all together and use alternatives

edit--

btw I already suggested to add water res and other gas mask to completely drop other hats all together

1 minute ago, MWY said:

that's really sad to hear since he is technically a character I can relate to myself in real life and like him a lot.
(an inventor and an crazy old pappy)

I feel you dude, I really like him as well but find his food penalty annoying.

I even play Willow a lot even though I hate her disadvantages and advantages ):

2 minutes ago, FreyaMaluk said:

that's a valid concern.. and I am also very sensitive to visual effects.. but tbh I just don't see the need to use other head hear outside his own

if we ask to change him is gonna be .. ultimately.. a loss... for everybody

he just has different mechanics and tbh you would be better to rely heavily on body armor and drop backpack all together and use alternatives

well how about a bad vision without the blur effect?

Like a literal fog around him.

1 minute ago, MWY said:

well how about a bad vision without the blur effect?

Like a literal fog around him.

That is a bit of a preference. Honestly I constantly wear glasses as him and use a thermal stone for seasons.

Just now, MWY said:

Yes I would prefer that, I would take the disadvantage as it is without the blur cause it will be easier on my eyes at least :D

if that's how you feel know I would kindly ask you if you could add a disclaimer edit in OP and explain you want a FILTER OPTION instead of a character change... so everybody can be happy :)

Just now, FreyaMaluk said:

if that's how you feel know I would kindly ask you if you could add a disclaimer edit in OP and explain you want a FILTER OPTION instead of a character change... so everybody can be happy :)

Thanks!

Edit*

Topic changed with better suggestion! ^^^

Throwing an alternative out there, just for fun really.

An option to toggle the blur off that also makes it so he moves slower without his goggles, to still make them useful and sort of simulate a guy trying to move more carefully so he doesn't bump into things. That way he can keep a vision related downside without giving people headaches.

41 minutes ago, Xehanightmare said:

Throwing an alternative out there, just for fun really.

An option to toggle the blur off that also makes it so he moves slower without his goggles, to still make them useful and sort of simulate a guy trying to move more carefully so he doesn't bump into things. That way he can keep a vision related downside without giving people headaches.

like how a character walks in the fog, that's pretty neat!

consider his dirt cheap harvester, since tall grass can yield a cut grass being dugged for now, 

blurr vision is not a really big deal, but an interesting mechanic, you can find damaged bishop or something everywhere

17 minutes ago, gghhrr said:

consider his dirt cheap harvester, since tall grass can yield a cut grass being dugged for now, 

blurr vision is not a really big deal, but an interesting mechanic, you can find damaged bishop or something everywhere

On 4/21/2019 at 6:08 PM, FreyaMaluk said:

I feel like this could be a filter option in the game...  not a general change to the character

On 4/21/2019 at 6:32 PM, FreyaMaluk said:

On 4/21/2019 at 6:32 PM, MWY said:

Thanks!

Edit*

Topic changed with better suggestion! ^^^

Archived