Autotargetting when pressing F

Autotargetting   

56 members have voted

1. 1. How intuitive is the autotargetting mechanic?

• I want the autotargetting mechanic to focus on the closest enemy when I press F instead of remebering the last enemy attacked
    • I like the game remembers last enemy attacked, not the closes to me when I press F

As for now, we got an autotargetting mechanic that remembers the last enemy you attacked instead the closer enemy... that always confused me when I started playing DST coming from DS ...

Am I the only one who feels that the way autotargetting works isn't very intuitive?

13 minutes ago, Prajdo said:

It's good as it is.

You can always use Ctrl+F combination to target closest mob.

but Ctrl+F doesn't really change target per se just forces attack and you might hit walls with that combination... the underlying issue is still there... you are just working around it

Absolutely agree. I hate it.

The way it works currently is if you let auto target do the job, you'll harm every mob evenly (because you may get hit by each of them in turn) and none of them will die fast, which is exactly the worst possible way to handle fights.

CTRL F is far from ideal. Some servers have cooperation with PVP on,(for the sake of realism/goofing, not for actual PVP) and that'll just make you hit friends. That or maybe there's a domesticated beefalo nearby or a wall or friendly mobs or anything that you shouldn't really hit.

1 hour ago, FreyaMaluk said:

but Ctrl+F doesn't really change target per se just forces attack and you might hit walls with that combination... the underlying issue is still there... you are just working around it

In this I must agree. Hitting walls with Ctrl+F is very common.

Still I do like how it is now. Imagine a situation when you are facing 2 or more treeguards. When kitting I don't want to switch target after every single avoidance. The same with Beequeen and her minions. When I hit one mob I want it to be saved as a target when using F command. I don't wanna mark it every single time with a mouse click. Maybe we need "Ctrl+F" upgraded instead. It's not working on Chester so why not made it not working on walls too.

20 minutes ago, Prajdo said:

In this I must agree. Hitting walls with Ctrl+F is very common.

Still I do like how it is now. Imagine a situation when you are facing 2 or more treeguards. When kitting I don't want to switch target after every single avoidance. The same with Beequeen and her minions. When I hit one mob I want it to be saved as a target when using F command. I don't wanna mark it every single time with a mouse click. Maybe we need "Ctrl+F" upgraded instead. It's not working on Chester so why not made it not working on walls too.

??? I'm sorry but what? 

I never suggested you have to click on them...

Normally you move in the direction of the enemy you want attack anyways and the idea is that the closest enemy should be the one to get targeted... Not the distant one you get pulled to on the other side just cuz it happens you were attacking it before dodging... 

My idea is simple... F attacks what's closest to you... Regardless of the target you attacked before...

This issue gets very palpable when you attack spiders... Most of the time you attack and dodge and when u do that the autotargetting pulls you to other target u don't wanna attack leading to sometimes you getting hit cuz you were pulled in other direction u didn't wanted to go in the first plsce

Walls is also a thing with ctrl F... Imo walls shouldn't be allowed to be used with autotargetting anyways. 

"..auto-targeting mechanic to focus on the closest enemy when I press F" can be a big problem when fighting Klaus for example. It would stand to reason in most cases though, yet there are some particular ones where this adds pretty consistent problems.

3 hours ago, x0VERSUS1y said:

"..auto-targeting mechanic to focus on the closest enemy when I press F" can be a big problem when fighting Klaus for example. 

I think this is a fair point.. BUT in a general sense attacking the target that's closer to u is much more useful and you'll use it way more often than killing Klaus once a year... you fight spiders, bees and hounds at a higher rate than Klaus...

and if you are in the middle between the 2 deers the targetting would ofc go to Klaus... you wouldn't move close to the deers anyway to avoid getting hit by them... 

21 minutes ago, CarlZalph said:

Judging from how 50/50 the poll is, this would make for a great option or mod.

if this pool was open to the whole player base we might have a different result.. most players I know don't like current autotargetting.. 

8 hours ago, Hell-met said:

The way it works currently is if you let auto target do the job, you'll harm every mob evenly (because you may get hit by each of them in turn) and none of them will die fast, which is exactly the worst possible way to handle fights.

The way the alternative method would work is if you let auto target do the job, you'll harm every mob evenly (because each of them may move closest to you in turn) and none of them will die fast, which is exactly the worst possible way to handle fights.

It's a matter of perspective and which mechanic a particular player is used to, me thinks.

18 minutes ago, snugglysnootertoot said:

The way the alternative method would work is if you let auto target do the job, you'll harm every mob evenly (because each of them may move closest to you in turn) and none of them will die fast, which is exactly the worst possible way to handle fights.

It's a matter of perspective and which mechanic a particular player is used to, me thinks.

I suppose you're right.

what's the best solution then?

6 hours ago, snugglysnootertoot said:

That's why I said about marking previous target with mouse click earlier. I simply prefer my target to be saved to kill it asap and don't want it to be switched every time pressing "F". With autotargetting changed it would be very uncomfortable to fight just like snugglysnootertoot said. Just longer fights with mobs dying slower. 

In most cases, the auto-targeting is nice. However when it gets stuck on something you don't want to hit, it's a nightmare. But before auto-targeting existed, you would sometimes switch to a completely different target rather then the one you intended to hit. Either way, both sides have scenarios when you lose.

1 minute ago, Canis said:

I mean, I have been using ctrl + f (in both SP and DST) for the past 2 years and I haven't had any problems with it.

Just felt the need to drop this into the convo.

So you never hit walls accidentally when using Ctrl F... I'm sure that's not true

Just now, FreyaMaluk said:

So you never hit walls accidentally when using Ctrl F... I'm sure that's not true

I never said I didn't. I just usually position myself so I don't do that. Cancelling attacks also becomes a split-second habit after a while.

In regards to melee combat, I agree that it would be better in most situations for autotargeting to focus on the closest baddie. But when using ranged combat I believe that players would benefit more from the way it currently works. Maybe it wouldn't be a bad thing for it to change depending on what kind of weapon that you're using?

On 4/20/2019 at 12:23 AM, Stonetribe said:

In regards to melee combat, I agree that it would be better in most situations for autotargeting to focus on the closest baddie. But when using ranged combat I believe that players would benefit more from the way it currently works. Maybe it wouldn't be a bad thing for it to change depending on what kind of weapon that you're using?

sure... I mean this is an issue... no doubt.. the thing is how to solve it

I'm just posing the question cuz I'm sure that in a broad spectrum of players this is a very discussed issue and that's why there is a mod that changes this with 3,203 subscribers in the workshop... 

In the forums, we are only one very small section of the player base... 

a different targetting.. maybe even different profiles fort autotargetting would be the best idea to make combat as tight as it can be

For me it's the exact opposite as OP, I got used to DST controls over DS because I've played the multiplayer more so every time I go back to hamlet I'm always taking way more damage than I usually do in DST, it takes me a bit to get used to how the attacking mechanics differ. For even little things like spiders attacking in groups of two I find that I switch targets if the spider not being stunlocked progresses forward enough and I usually take damage from the spider I was trying to finish off as punishment, I play much safer and strafe way more in the singleplayer because of how the auto attack priority differs from DST, so even the more simple fights take longer if you want to avoid damage and be precise by re-positioning your character often.

Archived