Simple idea to make the loss of sanity more dangerous (and funny)

Hello everyone! Let's face it, sanity is not something very difficult to manage. Indeed, for certain things to have characters with little sanity and almost an advantage.
I think it would be more fun for everyone if mental health were a real threat to survival, not just a suggestive thing about sounds and noises.
Paradoxically, the idea of how to make it more dangerous without distorting it, Willow gave it to me: let's make all the characters start to get cold with low sanity. Real chills of fear, which paralyze the heart and make the limbs tremble.
Thus going mad becomes inconvenient and dangerous, without adequate protection from the cold.
That's all, and I don't think a new player has life impossible from this addition, I think it's feasible for everyone.

While I get the idea behind that, I really don't think freezing is the way to do it, as although you might get the 'chills' in real life, your never going to die from cold as a consequence, and this could be seen as a perk during summer.  I think it might be better to make sanity's difficulty scale with time and have more monsters, making nightmare fuel a real reward you have to work for, and sanity a threat that newer players might be able to get used to easier, by starting with the lower amounts of monsters first.  However if that's made a thing we should probably get a plausible way to regenerate sanity without waiting a very long time or bringing an insane amount of greencaps, without making the ruins to easy though.

It's not really more challenging, just more annoying. We all complained about willow's con for a long time because of that, until it got patched on her a while ago. It's barely noticeable on her now.

The problem about that con is that it looks good on pen and paper, but wasnt very thought through in the long run: Most advanced players will stay insane for long periods of times. You shouldnt avoid it, once you learn all the ways to recover sanity and know how to kite shadows. Giving you an extra thing to deal with doesnt make it more fun, just more tedious.

Perhaps to make insanity more threatening and self limited, it should escalate, in a way that considering how much time you've been insane, more and more shadows will start spawning around you. After a while (a day maybe?) you would need to get sane again fast, or be killed by a swarm of terrorbeaks. Pro players already deal with nightmare amulets or bone helm's multiple spawns, so it won't add much to them, but I guess if the point is to limit our time being insane something like this could help.

sounds like a good idea. but i dunno how it would effect the gameplay. what if you have a thermal stomne and a tamoshanter equipped? or what is with wx when hes charged. he never freezes. or you can build sclaed furnace close together which make you overheat in winter in 15 sec.

I mentioned this in a different thread but I think it would be neat if new (or existing as mentioned above) shadow monsters we're added that don't actually try to kill you but are still significantly detrimental in other ways like the night hands that try to snuff out your campfires. Night hands aren't a big threat at all of course, which is fitting seeing as how they only show up when you're at 65% sanity.

For example, what if the shadow watchers would randomly appear on screen for a short while, obscuring most all of your vision? I think that that could certainly make nightmare fuel farming more dangerous!

1 minute ago, Stonetribe said:

I mentioned this in a different thread but I think it would be neat if new (or existing as mentioned above) shadow monsters we're added that don't actually try to kill you but are still significantly detrimental in other ways like the night hands that try to snuff out your campfires. Night hands aren't a big threat at all of course, which is fitting seeing as how they only show up when you're at 65% sanity.

For example, what if the shadow watchers would randomly appear on screen for a short while, obscuring most all of your vision? I think that that could certainly make nightmare fuel farming more dangerous!

Sounds like a great idea! It would make everything more complicated without overturning the mechanics of sanity too much as we know it. I approve.

I just realized that this way he'd also be "watching" in a sense, being that it would be like he's staring directly at the player through the screen.

Maybe Mister Skits could also be given some sort of non lethal way to harass players, though it should be pretty minor since he shows up when your sanity is only lower than 80% of max. Unless of course they decided to change that threshold or make it that he's visible but only becomes real when your sanity is much lower.

The solution is simple. Just spawn more shadow creatures progressively when you are insane. At some point there's gonna be too much of them to be able to survive, so you must manage your sanity and at the same time this mechanic doesn't kill NF farming.

38 minutes ago, FuffledBeeQueen said:

Honestly I'd rather have a shadow manifest after a while that is invulnvernable and can 1 shot you which is slightly below average speed, that'd finally make Insanity less of a "lol xd is this even a downside"

like the shadow queen herself perhaps?

The two seasons are far from being dedicated to sitting around fires, as you can really move around if you have the correct gear, unlike being insane and cold in spring, where you would need to be near a fire despite the fact your thermal stone is not heated and winter gear put away, making it much more annoying, and unfun than Winter.  However, couldn't this be used as a method to stay cool in summer, I think that would be a really strange function.

6 hours ago, GenomeSquirrel said:

Considering the solution to cold is staying a short distance from a fire, the figurative language you used is just disguising something tedious, especially when we already have two seasons dedicated to sitting around fires.

With Willow he was boring because he has little sanity and the fire makes him recover too little.
I think if the system were studied better it would make everything more exciting.
However I don't mask anything my dear =)
I can write and write as I can, I prefer to enrich what I publish rather than impoverish it to write dry and sad.
And already having to write in English limits very much my ability of expression and communication.
If you could read me in Italian and there I could make you believe everything ;)

What about the addition of more types of shadows?

You normally get a Crawler in the start of your insanity and a Beck when you are very low on sanity, but it does not get any further than that.

My idea is to be able to get even more insane where you will get stronger shadows that drop more nightmare fuel, they would be harder to kill but also give a greater reward when defeated.

Another Idea that could work is: time to time your character would play an insane animation dropping the item on his hand and not being able to walk for a tiny bit.(annoying like you sneezing on hamlet)

Yet another idea is that hats lose efficiency when in low durability since a tam negates the whole insanity stuff, or even reduce efficiency when the player is way too insane to care about his look making the player really on sanity foods.

1 hour ago, Marthan said:

My idea is to be able to get even more insane where you will get stronger shadows that drop more nightmare fuel, they would be harder to kill but also give a greater reward when defeated.

Along with increasing numbers of common shadow creatures the longer you stay insane, an increasing chance of spawning a strong shadow, maybe one of the level 2 shadow bosses.

I forgot an idea I had once long ago that would creep many people out(I believe). Zero sanity would cause a freaking frightening shadow to creep up on players and you could only see it coming at key moments in the beginning as a warning, like when a lightning lights everything up briefly at night or one of those blinking eyes become scary and hurt you if you get too close. So you'd better pay attention to your path like crazy LOL 

susto.gif

1 hour ago, seffard said:

I forgot an idea I had once long ago that would creep many people out(I believe). Zero sanity would cause a freaking frightening shadow to creep on players and you could only see it coming at key moments in the beginning as a warning, like when a lightning lights everything up briefly at night or one of those blinking eyes become scary and hurt you if you get too close. So you'd better pay attention to your path like crazy LOL 

susto.gif

If you mean it in a jumpscare kind of way, I'm not really fond of that idea.
It takes away from the Insanity thing, in a fashion.
Things slowly building up/fading in would be neat however.
Jumpscares are more annoying than creepy.

6 minutes ago, Angel_Octoling said:

If you mean it in a jumpscare kind of way, I'm not really fond of that idea.
It takes away from the Insanity thing, in a fashion.
Things slowly building up/fading in would be neat however.
Jumpscares are more annoying than creepy.

I dont know, it doesnt have to be a jumpscare, it might be too much, btw he gif was for fun. I remember feeling uneasy the first time I went to the ruins, but it's already scary for some I chat with.

Archived