What would you guys think of having the option to build LED lights?

I was in the car with my brother and we were admiring the LED lights that were all over the outside of a building. We got to talking about how nice they looked and how far they've (LED lights) come in, seemingly, such a short while. And then I had a thought. Why the heck can't we build LED lights in Oxygen not Included? I mean think about it. It does kind of make sense that late game another lighting option should open up and as they produce less heat and eat less power I don't see why a resource strapped space colony wouldn't want to have a few around. Of course being able to build them would come at the cost of research and the extra investment involved in producing the sorts of materials like plastic or refined metal that would probably go into them. And it's not like the old lights would be made obsolete because sometimes you want the current lights to provide a little heat and I have to imagine at 50 metal ore the old ceiling lights would probably be considerably cheaper to build than the LED lights would. Granted most of the stuff in ONI has sort of a cobbled together appearance, but nothing says that we can't make an LED light to match and by the time you start getting into drywall, comfy beds, transit tubes and metal tiles, things start to take on a decidedly cleaner and more futuristic appearance anyhow (which is kind of fitting considering the effort it takes to get there) and it would be nice to have a light fixture to match. And on a personal, ascetics based level, I just kind of don't like having only one look for ceiling lights and I'd welcome having more options available.

So I just wanted you guy's opinions on it. What do you think of the idea of LED lights as a lighting option and does it at least make sense? I kind of wanted to make this a suggestion but I thought before I did, why run it by you guys first. Thanks for your time if you read all of this btw.

I only started to play the game recently and was looking for some ONI art related and stumbled across this.
I don't know if the game looked like that someday in the past but I think this image is pretty cool, cozy and shows a beautiful lighting effect.
The game looks so brighter right now, I think I like the older aspect more.

Was the game like it previously?
Also, What's the device operated by the dupe and the one to the left??
5c812512b2809_oxygennotincludedligh.thumb.jpg.17cbf5c470d89a63ec455241b9d6d6b3.jpg

Just now, Junksteel said:

Was the game like it previously?
Also, What's the device operated by the dupe and the one to the left??
5c812512b2809_oxygennotincludedligh.thumb.jpg.17cbf5c470d89a63ec455241b9d6d6b3.jpg

Yes, was that way, very very very very loong time ago.
On the left water tank (much better visual fit for me) and metal refinery (so far i remember)

1 hour ago, Oozinator said:

On the left water tank (much better visual fit for me)

funny, when they brought back the water tank it had the old artwork in the early beta, but switched to the current artwork when they fully released the update

17 minutes ago, Neotuck said:

funny, when they brought back the water tank it had the old artwork in the early beta, but switched to the current artwork when they fully released the update

Yes i was wondering about it a bit.
I thought, "where did klei made a secret poll, to get the idea that the new artwork is better looking, then the old one?"
"and hu the schmuck voted for it?"
^^

Just now, Oozinator said:

I thought, "where did klei made a secret poll, to get the idea that the new artwork is better looking, then the old one?"
^^

Klei really should involve us more in decisions like that 

DON'T FIX WHAT ISN'T BROKEN!!!

42 minutes ago, Oozinator said:

^^

When I first saw the new artwork for it I was sure it was a higher-tech liquid tank with automation and that the older, rickety looking tank would still be available in the early game.  Alas, I was disappointed to learn that the older one was gone for good.  :(

25 minutes ago, goboking said:

When I first saw the new artwork for it I was sure it was a higher-tech liquid tank with automation and that the older, rickety looking tank would still be available in the early game.  Alas, I was disappointed to learn that the older one was gone for good.  :(

when I look back at the old artwork I feel like most of it is "Don't Starve in space"

I feel like Klei is trying to move past the low tech look and give it a more science fiction look

They should keep both in game imo, not only because of their look (old one looks cooler).

They should buff the capacity of the "newer" tanks as they store less water than the tiles occupied by them. It would be fair to keep this ratio to the "steampunk tank' and buff the current tank.

One of the things I enjoy the most in ONI is replacing old stuff by brand new better pieces of improvement.

39 minutes ago, Junksteel said:

They should buff the capacity of the "newer" tanks as they store less water than the tiles occupied by them. It would be fair to keep this ratio to the "steampunk tank' and buff the current tank.

Really??? this stinks, that means I should immediately destroy the tanks that are sitting inside what later became my expanded cold water source.

46 minutes ago, Junksteel said:

They should keep both in game imo, not only because of their look (old one looks cooler).

Imo there should be 2 tiers of reservoirs. One with basic funcionallity (like the current one) and more advanced with automation.

Yes more darkness, Would really like that in the base game.

So you really need to set up ligths for your dupes.

The idea with the miner heads for the dupes is really great too.

I never understand why its always "daylight" on that asteroid...

Edit: perhaps you can trap shinebugs for a lamp xD

How about lighting sources that can be a tile or background building, or maybe even just one that doesn't need to be attached to a surface? It'll save space and energy in one go, flavor-wise fits LEDs, and provides more contrast between early and late game tech.

Archived