Rabid Beetles overpopulation

im sure other people have encountered this issue and i didnt realise how big of a issue it was until i went to an island that i had not been on yet in a new save after around day 49 and the population of rabid beetles was so large i was getting between 10-15 fps which is unplayable klei really need to add a limit on how many of these guys can be in the world at any given time because this is just unbearable 

44 minutes ago, Marquillotuca89 said:

Same here!

And some people says that "it's a challenge" when it's not. I had the same problem when I didn't go to the second island quickly and there actually were like hundreads on the Rain Deep Forest biome and they instally killed any other mob that were there. 

yea they wouldn't be a issue for me atleast if i wasn't getting abysmal fps the bug sprayer works wonders on them but my fps is so bad i cant use it

• Developer

@shadowthh

Hmmm, you're still getting very bad fps with them? I put in an optimization that should have improved it, but I guess it's not enough.

Out of curiosity - what are your hardware specs?

Could you grab a performance report - please grab it when performance is really bad - asoutlined below?

23 hours ago, bizziboi said:

@shadowthh

Hmmm, you're still getting very bad fps with them? I put in an optimization that should have improved it, but I guess it's not enough.

Could you grab a performance report - please grab it when performance is really bad - asoutlined below?

my hardware specs are 

Windows 10 pro 64-bit

AMD FX-6300 Six Core Processor

16gb of RAM

Samsung SSD 850 EVO 250gb

and a Nvidia Geforce GTX 960

as far as a performance report goes the problem disappeared after most of the beatles were killed by other wildlife i just waited in a safe spot for about 5-10 mins and the fly traps cleared them out for me but this wasn't the first time i've encountered this issue it was however the worst performance i've gotten when encountering it when it happens again which i'm sure it ill i will try to remember to get a performance report 

A good solution would be a world gen option to reduce the amount of great leafy stalk or reduce them in general OR reduce the eggs they would spawn. @shadowthh You should set the Glowfly Cycle to NO. Experiencing the game with all the content may be ok but it's not ok if you suffer from low fps. 

43 minutes ago, Thieverpedia said:

I think their main problem is that Great Leafy Stalks can spawn them. If it were just the flowers, that would be one thing, as we can control that. But what do the stalks have to do with Rabid Beetles?

Them spawning only by flowers would make it far too easy to control them.

They are the main threat of Humid season, other than the fog of course.

On 2/8/2019 at 9:37 PM, Marquillotuca89 said:

Same here!

And some people says that "it's a challenge" when it's not. I had the same problem when I didn't go to the second island quickly and there actually were like hundreads on the Rain Deep Forest biome and they instally killed any other mob that were there. 

Yeah You cannot kill 5000 glowflies that are gonna turn into rabid beetles [they where 5000 glowflies in my world once, i had to do c_removall("glowfly")]

EDIT: my point is that its not even a challenge at that point, They are the dominant species now.

9 hours ago, Atsumame said:

@bizziboi

Another reason for the overpopulation ordeal is that leafy stalks generate a certain number of cocooned glowflies that when hatched, create rabid beetles that will never despawn ever. Meaning that rabid beetles will accumulate over time with no limit the longer you play.

oh is that how it's happening? Gross, i hate those things. Getting mobbed by 30+ is not fun

On 09/02/2019 at 4:08 AM, bizziboi said:

@shadowthh

No matter how well you optimise them, game still freeze if they have no cap to their spawn amount or some way for them to disappear before another hummid season start.

Archived