Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Please be aware that the content of this thread may be outdated and no longer applicable.

Crystal Kourosh

Bound to the Board: Interpreting Theme in Klei's "Don't Starve"

Sinister_Fang    9328

For a video about Don't Starve, the first 5 minutes don't really talk about it that much. A 34 minute video discussing DS/T lore looked interesting... but it seems like a lot of rambling.

Finx    88

After forcing myself to watch it through the end there 2 thing about this analysis that leave me doubtful.

Like others already said the video is mostly a 34 minutes full of rambling. I would go further by saying he could have cut most of the random cultural stuff that ain't Don't Starve related. I mean having 1 or 2 reference is fine but having so much to the point were the video is 7 times longer leave a feeling of someone who filled is essay with all of his cultural and artistic knowledge that he have. I'm glad for him that he is a cultured man who know his history and art but it doesn't benefit the analydis whatsoever.

The way he shaped his analysis like if the interpretation given was objective when truth be told its simply his subjective interpretation. Don't get me wrong a subjective interpretation is fine when it is clearly presented like one but trying to shape it like an objective interpretation when its not is one of the reason why I mostly never watch these kind of video because rather than opening a discussion around a subject it end up trying to manipulate the viewer rather than stimulating his critical mind.

Donke60    3101

I mean all you have to get to the end of adventure mode, notice the motif of enemies being called chess pieces and get to Maxwell's epilogue text its not a hard sell.

ResettePlayer    6026
5 hours ago, Finx said:

The way he shaped his analysis like if the interpretation given was objective when truth be told its simply his subjective interpretation. Don't get me wrong a subjective interpretation is fine when it is clearly presented like one but trying to shape it like an objective interpretation when its not is one of the reason why I mostly never watch these kind of video because rather than opening a discussion around a subject it end up trying to manipulate the viewer rather than stimulating his critical mind.

It's great that you're looking at this critically and with an open mind, but this is the entire point of a (video) essay. Essays are meant to convince the reader (in this case, listener) that the writer's thesis is (or theses are) true using multiple sources and quotations and all that jazz. The essay he is writing here is an argumentative one. Now, the guy doesn't explicitly state that this video is an essay probably because that would prevent many potential viewers from even giving it a chance, but he does say in the description that he's "your middle school humanities teacher now". More obviously, the title is extremely essay-ish.

I agree with everyone here who says that the guy took too long introducing his topic, and many of the things he was talking about in that phase of his video had little to do with his actual argument and didn't really turn up again. Perhaps he could have cut a fair amount of the content, "killed his darlings", and tried to have been more concise. Actually, why don't we cross out the "perhaps" and say that yes, sometimes you need to edit your content harshly if no one else can do it for you.

It should be said that I'm biased here because I actually enjoy over-analyses of media, but this video being long-winded is an issue of script writing and editing, not of the guy's fundamental thesis. You can criticise the video for being long-winded, and you can criticise the guy's thesis, but you can't say that the guy's thesis is bad because it's long-winded. They're two separate issues.

Donke60    3101
3 minutes ago, ResettePlayer said:

It should be said that I'm biased here because I actually enjoy over-analyses of media, but this video being long-winded is an issue of script writing and editing, not of the guy's fundamental thesis. You can criticise the video for being long-winded, and you can criticise the guy's thesis, but you can't say that the guy's thesis is bad because it's long-winded. They're two separate issues.

IT DOESN'T HAVE WARLY, RIOT!!!

Finx    88

The results of his long winded video is that it impede his thesis to reach out to many viewer since most of them will quickly lose interest and the remaining one who actually made it to the end probably haven't fully understood his argument. To garanted that your argument reach out you must make a thesis that is straight and simple to digest otherwise people may very likely misunderstood what you tried to say.

1 hour ago, ResettePlayer said:

You can criticise the video for being long-winded, and you can criticise the guy's thesis, but you can't say that the guy's thesis is bad because it's long-winded. They're two separate issues.

I don't think I have said anything about his thesis itself being bad even though I honnestly disagree with it. I respect his take on the subject and must salute it since he is the first one to attempt to do an analysis of Don't Starve

minespatch    78312

I do like the exploration of the Tempest and Don't Starve. I wish he focused on those two subjects.

It's like how EFAP did a podcast about that one video on "why games don't scare me"(but Don't starve does) and the video was just going on and on what game makers should do, so I can see what the commenters in this thread are saying.

FreyaMaluk    5592
On 1/12/2019 at 7:22 PM, minespatch said:

GAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

575635ee32979_Puttingonatempestplay.png.4e0c4b44b32af025819e69d8da795d1d.png

I just did this for the pun, I didn't expect my drawing to have another meaning! I gotta show this to my father!

U should have played with the idea of fertilization for plants. that IMO might be a meme on it's own on the cannibalism trope 

Rellimarual    4178
17 hours ago, Finx said:

There is no such thing as “objective interpretation.” Interpretation is by definition subjective. When people talk about “objective” opinions, they just mean “opinions I agree with.”

Finx    88
5 hours ago, Rellimarual said:

There is no such thing as “objective interpretation.” Interpretation is by definition subjective. When people talk about “objective” opinions, they just mean “opinions I agree with.”

Exactly that's what I have been trying to say and I guess you were able to phrase it better than I did, but nonetheless it remain that you can make it look like a pseudo objective one which I personally have a problem with but I don't want to bother explaining why since it would deviate from the main topic here plus it its lame anyway

ResettePlayer    6026
22 hours ago, Finx said:

I don't think I have said anything about his thesis itself being bad even though I honnestly disagree with it. I respect his take on the subject and must salute it since he is the first one to attempt to do an analysis of Don't Starve

Oh sorry, I must have misinterpreted what you said about those things about the analysis leaving you skeptical. Your critique makes sense.