Items less used in the game

21 hours ago, Loopy Ouroboros said:

I would say the bat bat. Troublesome to craft, as its primary ingredient calls for a truly insane five bat wings from a mob who hardly seems to drop them, with a whole purple gem to boot, and its low durability and somewhat lax damage output relegate it to more of a "support" weapon, rather than one that dishes out damage more reliably like the ham bat or even the basic spear.

Still plenty fun to use when its niche can be taken advantage of, and the skin I have for it is slick, but I certainly wish it was easier to replace!

Try it with Wigfrid; the way it stacks and interacts with her passive combat abilities is crazy. And by that I mean perfectly sane. Her basic on-hit ability negates the sanity penalty, and the weapon's health gains combined with her own make her...more or less immune to health loss.

Find one in the Labyrinth, and you've basically found a free Guardian Horn. Just switch to it whenever you get hit for a few swipes, then go back to Battle Spear or whatever weapon you have; save that durability for when you need it.

Bat Bat might be a bit of a pain to get, but in the right hands, it's a great item. And if you spend a good bit of time in the Caves, the costs are much easier to meet. Great weapon for a player who lives down below.

35 minutes ago, lifetheuniverse said:

Try it with Wigfrid; the way it stacks and interacts with her passive combat abilities is crazy. And by that I mean perfectly sane. Her basic on-hit ability negates the sanity penalty, and the weapon's health gains combined with her own make her...more or less immune to health loss.

Find one in the Labyrinth, and you've basically found a free Guardian Horn. Just switch to it whenever you get hit for a few swipes, then go back to Battle Spear or whatever weapon you have; save that durability for when you need it.

Bat Bat might be a bit of a pain to get, but in the right hands, it's a great item. And if you spend a good bit of time in the Caves, the costs are much easier to meet. Great weapon for a player who lives down below.

Admittedly I've never considered the Bat Bat's synergy with Wigfrid in that way. Very informative, very noteworthy observation! Will definitely keep in mind when I play as the Stage Actress for the long term next time.

23 hours ago, superlucas1231 said:

The Rain hat 

The straw hat may be useless on its own, but at least you can make into something much more viable (miner's hat). 

But the Rain hat is just downright terrible. You can get the same amount of rain resistance required to block out the rain by putting on a Football helm/top hat and a umbrella. The only thing the Rain hat has that other hats don't (outside of Eyebrella ofc) is that it has resistance against lightning; but are you really going to get two moleworms, 12 grass, and some bone shards just to protect yourself from lightning?

The only use I see for this item is if Wicker is using the end is nigh on Wx/Volt goats. Even then, Wicker could just use the Eyebrella.

On public servers or servers with friends, if I end up not getting the eyebrella I usually use the rain hat, i honestly feel it's second best to eyebrella, I still make an umbrella incase I get too wet, but it does significantly slow the rate at which you get wet. Another plus to it is it makes you electric-proof, and one thing I really don't like is taking damage by literal RNG(RNG Lightning damage)

2 minutes ago, Sinister_Fang said:

The lazy deserter can also make the nightmare amulet useless as well.

Fighting against the Ancient Fuelweaver with a Lazy Deserter is way harder than with a Nightmare Amulet. The Nightmare Amulet can also be used to increase your Sanity really fast and the insanity of the Lazy Deserter can be replaced with Rabbits or Flowers.

1 hour ago, Viktor234 said:

Fighting against the Ancient Fuelweaver with a Lazy Deserter is way harder than with a Nightmare Amulet.

I was actually thinking about farming fuel, but yeah, you're right about the fuel weaver fight.

The Nightmare Amulet can also be used to increase your Sanity really fast

How does this work? I've never heard of the amulet being used to restore sanity before.

and the insanity of the Lazy Deserter can be replaced with Rabbits or Flowers.

It can also be replaced with green caps, treeguards and glommer goop. My point is that the lazy deserter is a good way to go from max to 0 sanity in just a second or two.

Although, I am curious as to how rabbits can cause insanity. I've never heard of that either.

2 hours ago, Sinister_Fang said:

How does this work? I've never heard of the amulet being used to restore sanity before.

Playing as Willow & farming Nightmare Fuel with Bernie (He's very useful if you know how) and a Dark Sword (I wanted to keep my sanity low and -20/min is almost nothing compared to -100/min and you can always swap between Dark Sword & any other handgear). I keep putting the Amulet on and off to make some Shadow Creatures appear & strike them once so they won't disappear.
Terrorbeak makes an attack on Bernie, he can't teleport away because he's doing his attack animation => 3 hits with a Dark Sword, half of his health is down
That way I'm loosing almost no Sanity & gain 15-33 Sanity per killed Shadow Creature.
(Originally I wanted to use the Nightmare Amulet to farm Nightmare Fuel faster but Nightmare Amulet is really expensive and that tactic just raised my Sanity from 0 to 100%)

Wigfrid would gain Health & more Sanity when doing this tactic but she wouldn't be able to get multiple hits on the enemy; Wolfgang would only need 50% of the hits.

3 hours ago, Viktor234 said:

Playing as Willow & farming Nightmare Fuel with Bernie (He's very useful if you know how) and a Dark Sword (I wanted to keep my sanity low and -20/min is almost nothing compared to -100/min and you can always swap between Dark Sword & any other handgear). I keep putting the Amulet on and off to make some Shadow Creatures appear & strike them once so they won't disappear.
Terrorbeak makes an attack on Bernie, he can't teleport away because he's doing his attack animation => 3 hits with a Dark Sword, half of his health is down
That way I'm loosing almost no Sanity & gain 15-33 Sanity per killed Shadow Creature.
(Originally I wanted to use the Nightmare Amulet to farm Nightmare Fuel faster but Nightmare Amulet is really expensive and that tactic just raised my Sanity from 0 to 100%)

Wigfrid would gain Health & more Sanity when doing this tactic but she wouldn't be able to get multiple hits on the enemy; Wolfgang would only need 50% of the hits.

I feel like such an idiot now. Shadows restore sanity when killed, so of course farming with the amulet is going to result in a net gain.

Speaking of Bone helm...

I say it is great for farming fuel after you tame Ornery Beefalo with war saddle

and About FW fight... It's kinda good since you tame nightmare creatures and can see the shadow hands but it will make you paralyzed every minute or so...

8 hours ago, GetNerfedOn said:

I also rarely see Dapper Vests, Fish Tacos, Honey Poultices, Stingers and Toasted Seeds (unless you reach my levels of hunger and desperation) in usage.

Admittedly, Honey Poultices is very useful, but only it is tedious to manufacture. You have to go for reeds, and the honey is mainly used in filling food or ham with honey. Otherwise it is useful with its bonus of 30

2 minutes ago, Philsam said:

Admittedly, Honey Poultices is very useful, but only it is tedious to manufacture. You have to go for reeds, and the honey is mainly used in filling food or ham with honey. Otherwise it is useful with its bonus of 30

Also, foods like Butterflies, Blue Caps, Trail Mix, Fishsticks, Pierogies and Dragonpies are easier to find/make/have larger bonuses. And the Honey can go into a Honey Ham, which provide the same heal but with an added Hunger bonus.

13 hours ago, GetNerfedOn said:

I also rarely see Dapper Vests, Fish Tacos, Honey Poultices, Stingers and Toasted Seeds (unless you reach my levels of hunger and desperation) in usage.

Dapper Vest not so much, but the Hibearnation Vest that you can make from it is actually pretty great if you have Extra Equip Slots.

3 minutes ago, Sinister_Fang said:

Really? I see them all the time. They just lay there on the ground making a mess.

I've found running Abigail through a decent Killer Bee biome to be more profitable in Honey than making Bee Boxes. The Killer Bees respawn in their nests so quickly, and Abigail stunlocks them completely so it costs nothing but a little time. Anyway, tons of Stingers obtained from that. I wish they had more uses.

6 hours ago, Sinister_Fang said:

Really? I see them all the time. They just lay there on the ground making a mess.

Rarely see them being used that is. If you still see tons of them laying on the the ground server must already be very laggy xD Toss them into Eyeplants already...

If only we had to use them on amassing Boat Repair Kits. There, they would be useful.

Otherwise they are only used in Booster Shots (very situational) or Sleep Darts (outclassed by STS or Pan Flute). I still craft a handful sleep darts to aggro Hunt Animals and tag fleeing Gobblers, but otherwise they're not really worth it.

Come to think of it... I rarely see Booster Shots and Sleep darts being used frequently too. More lines in the tally.

There's also Fire Darts, Watermelon Popsicles and the Insulated Pack.

On 12/25/2018 at 6:48 PM, GetNerfedOn said:

I still craft a handful sleep darts to aggro Hunt Animals and tag fleeing Gobblers, but otherwise they're not really worth it.

...huh, that's a good idea. I've been playing DS for ages and that never occurred to me; I guess since they don't do damage.
I usually go with an Ice Staff since it has other uses, but Sleep Darts might be a good alternative for those few runs where I barely touch the caves. Especially in a world where the Swamp spawns near the Killer Bee haven.

On 25/12/2018 at 3:01 AM, GetNerfedOn said:

True. Dapper Vest, Summer Frest & Floral Shirt are rarely used, unlike Thermal Stone.

39 minutes ago, Hell-met said:

if your main source of armor is football helm (bless those forge skins), then bearger coat / rain coat / floral shirt are flawless. Permanent cane/lantern use. Dunno where the hate is from.

The problem isn't armor, it's backpacks. Inventory expansion is the one thing that the hat slot doesn't have. So the body slot is mostly used for backpacks and armor. And when most body items have effects that you can replicate with hats, you can see why they're not used often. 

I've started using other chest items in vanilla lately...but only due to active attempts to try it again.
...again, I'm not impressed. It's not a choice at all.
Even in single player DS, Backpacks have always made more sense. I can make more use of extra slots for higher yield resource gathering trips than I can of anything that other chest slot items provide. Which sucks, because it locks out some neat equipment options.

Extra Equip Slots mod should be part of vanilla in both games by now tbh.

A Backpack is the cheapest bodygear ingame (4x Cut Grass, 4x Twigs) which also doesn't have any durability at all and it allows you to have +8 items in your inventory.

Normally to move n items from the spot A to B you would need to walk the whole way n / 15 times, but with a Backpack you'll be able to carry 23 instead of 15 items, what means that you'll need to walk n / (15 + 8) times now to move all the items from A to B.
A single Backpack increases your movement speed theoretically by 23 / 15 - 1 = 53.33%. But ingame there are some Items you don't want to drop while carrying all the items from A to B so the movement speed boost is way bigger than 53.33%.

Don't forget that most enemies can't loot your Backpack, so you can put your food or something like that into the Backpack and prevent others (Moleworms, Hounds, Bunnyman, etc.) from looting your inventory in case of if you die or need to drop some items to pick up anything else.

Is the Backpack a feature everyone wants to have? (=> Implement Extra Equip Slots mod) Or should there be some better reasons to swap between Backpack and Armor or Clothings? (=> Nerf Backpack or add more kinds of backpacks with pro and cons? Cheap, Expensive, Slows down, 4-14 Slots, Slows spoilage, etc.)

I just want to say that Hibearnation Vest and Rain Coat are good and I often use them. In online worlds not everyone can get Eyebrella - rain coat is a good replacement. Wearing backpack 24/h isn't very beneficial. Rain coat allows you to explore caves with miner's cap and walking cane, for example. 
 Vest is just great to pair it with beefalo hat, heat up as much as possible and then you're good to go into the winter's cold! If you go to harvest resources like grass and twigs or hunt, lesser inventory space won't be a big problem if you manage it well.

Archived