How make nettle plants grow?

FeNniX

Out of 54 days in hamlet I couldn't see any nettle plant blooming. Is there any secret in how to make them bloom? Or is there some tools to harvest them and place near sprinkler? Surviving lush season on seeds only is hell.

Edit: I did change temperate season length. Could that somehow messed up something?

nettle plants only grow when wet they take around 2ish days to grow and if they dry they will start to wilt and will reset their timer the easiest way to grow them is with a sprinkler visit it at the start of your day and end/mid keep checking on them until you get enough nettle also they need to be on jungle turf 

Nettles currently are rather broken.

They only grow when they're wet. After they grow sufficiently whilst they're wet, you only have a minute's window whilst they bloom to pick them up. Once that window is up, you have to let them grow again. So basically, you can keep missing that window and it looks like they never grow.

1 hour ago, Roosev said:

I don't think they are broken, however, I do think that the mechanic they currently have makes it quite difficult to obtain nettles the first humid season without a sprinkler or in time for the first lush season in general. You basically have to rush a sprinkler and dig up nettle plants asap and put together your nettle farm to get them growing. If you use a sprinkler it is one full day of guaranteed water as long as the fuel is full and then that should be enough to grow the nettle to max, but then you once again have only a 1 minute window to harvest them post the sprinkler ending. So you should at some point just refuel the sprinkler some time after you started it so that you have more time to harvest them. You really do have to keep track of their timer and not forget that you have to go back the next day to get them.

11 hours ago, Roosev said:

What makes you say nettles are currently broken?  They've gone through several behavioral changes during early access until this point and haven't changed in a while.  Has Klei said they're broken or does it just seem broken to you?  (I'm not thrilled with this myself, but it seems like what they've settled on.)

3 hours ago, DaddyWarbucks said:

What makes you say nettles are currently broken?  They've gone through several behavioral changes during early access until this point and haven't changed in a while.  Has Klei said they're broken or does it just seem broken to you?  (I'm not thrilled with this myself, but it seems like what they've settled on.)

I just currently think that they've been nerfed into oblivion in the early-game, and buffed in the late-game. Currently, there's only 3 ways of getting through Lush season.

1. Seeds

2. Gas Mask

3. Nettles

Most seasons last only 11-12 days, therefore that gives you about 22 days to get ready for Lush. Just don't forget that you also have to prepare for Humid in advance. (not really that hard to be fair)

Seeds can be a pain in the ass to get if you don't have many Tea Trees on your gen, or if you didn't plant more of them before hand.

The Gas Mask is a constant sanity drain on the player. Far more useful on the poisonous biome. Relatively expensive ingredients. Last Resort.

Nettles used to be THE thing to go for to prepare for Lush. Now it's more of an end-tier game resource.

Unless you specifically rush to get the nettles planted and harvested, that only leaves the seeds and the gas mask. One of which is pretty effective, but rather short, and one which is not as effective.

Maybe Klei originally thought of the Nettles to be as the best solution to Hay Fever. And that would be fine in its current state. But we currently have no items or food that can counter hay fever for prolonged periods of time other than the Nettles.  (other than the Fan which is, again, a late-game item)

That's not to say that the mechanics as they are now are unplayable. It just makes Lush pretty annoying to play in a new world.

I don't really know what could be done to solve the issue in my opinion.

14 minutes ago, Roosev said:

What's more annoying? The short sneezing stun, your items dropping to the ground or the insanity?

Guess Sneezing can't be prevented without Gas Mask, Seeds or Nettles.

The item dropping can't be prevented aswell unless Klei decides to make an item which keeps your items in your inventory whenever you're sneezing (Maybe also when hit by hanging vines but not if hit by Masked Pig)

My not yet tested idea for curing insanity would be to collect about 90 Cut Grass with Shears and collect enough Blooming Tuber. Craft about 10 Straw Rolls and use them together with 4x Cooked Blooming Tuber whenever night comes. That will restore a total of 53 Sanity, 12 Health and skip the insanity taken from darkness and sneezing during night.

Btw. Straw Rolls require a total of 9 Cut Grass but they grant as much fuel as 12 Cut Grass (or 4 Logs) and stack up to 10 (= 40 Logs or 10 Boards in 1 Slot) so you'll still be able to use them as a nice fuel source if you don't want to sleep.

1 hour ago, Roosev said:

I just currently think that they've been nerfed into oblivion in the early-game, and buffed in the late-game. Currently, there's only 3 ways of getting through Lush season.

1. Seeds

2. Gas Mask

3. Nettles

Most seasons last only 11-12 days, therefore that gives you about 22 days to get ready for Lush. Just don't forget that you also have to prepare for Humid in advance. (not really that hard to be fair)

Seeds can be a pain in the ass to get if you don't have many Tea Trees on your gen, or if you didn't plant more of them before hand.

The Gas Mask is a constant sanity drain on the player. Far more useful on the poisonous biome. Relatively expensive ingredients. Last Resort.

Nettles used to be THE thing to go for to prepare for Lush. Now it's more of an end-tier game resource.

Unless you specifically rush to get the nettles planted and harvested, that only leaves the seeds and the gas mask. One of which is pretty effective, but rather short, and one which is not as effective.

Maybe Klei originally thought of the Nettles to be as the best solution to Hay Fever. And that would be fine in its current state. But we currently have no items or food that can counter hay fever for prolonged periods of time other than the Nettles.  (other than the Fan which is, again, a late-game item)

That's not to say that the mechanics as they are now are unplayable. It just makes Lush pretty annoying to play in a new world.

Well, you can also just ignore the lush season and stay sane by consuming every single blooming tuber there is

From the state they are now, there's two states that the nettles are in right now:

1- Early game, you harvest the nettles during humid season you you dig them up alongside that if you feel like making the infrastructure for nettles in the next set of seasons. Keep in mind that pugalisk island has clusters of nettles to harvest and that nettles don't spoil.

2- Late game, You will want multiple sprinklers to cover as much jungle turf as is available. Because nettles don't spoil you want to mass nettles as much and quickly as possible. Around said sprinkler area you probably should make other farms you attend to while waiting on the nettles to grow. Such as putting a tree farm, the place you put your sapling for twigs, grass tuft area ect. You can get a lot done while producing the item that make lush season as easy and relaxing as autumn/mild/temperate season. 

Also a good thing to remember: Lush season last 12 days and a single nettle roll protect you against allergies for 1.5 days, this mean that you need 8 nettle rolls to totally cover 1 lush season. This mean that if your farm produce more than 24 nettles you are effectively stocking up for multiple lush seasons. 

I use the fan, supplemented by the gas mask when I spend much time out of its range. I spend the other two seasons roaming the world collecting stuff, then for Lush I work in my base using what I’ve gathered. I put the tam on when I’m around base, so the gas mask sanity drain gets evened out. My base is by the water on the Herald Island, which is overrun with snap tooths, so I make a hambat and just kill scads of them all season long, turning the leafy meat into eggs. I kill a lot of frogs, too, drying their legs to get small jerky. This, with the monster meat from bats, is endless bacon and eggs, so I rarely have to buy food, and eggs can be freshened up indefinitely. If I want I can buy vegetables and make pierogis, which are great to take on expeditions. They keep for a long time and give a lot of health. I have more stalking sticks and bug spray than I’ll ever be able to use. I just don’t have much nightmare fuel because I hate going insane. I might do more traveling in Lush with the gas mask so I can get some shadows to kill, but I do hate wasting weapons on brambles.

I mostly ignore lush season. 

Just stay away from water/clouds when you are sneezing so you dont lose any items - like I did and of course I lost the only important thing in my inventory - YouTube Link .......... :D

Even if you don't play Warbucks, it feels easier to get your sanity up after all the sneezing than to have a nettle farm ready in time. If you get the Magic Flower, you can also just use that for sanity gain. 

1 hour ago, Mullematsch said:

I mostly ignore lush season. 

Just stay away from water/clouds when you are sneezing so you dont lose any items - like I did and of course I lost the only important thing in my inventory - YouTube Link .......... :D

Even if you don't play Warbucks, it feels easier to get your sanity up after all the sneezing than to have a nettle farm ready in time. If you get the Magic Flower, you can also just use that for sanity gain. 

OMG, what a bad luck, it was necessary at this moment, in the good place and that the Centapiece is selected among this inventory, sorry for you :(

I really like the concept of nettle, this is the first time that Klei brings this mechanism ^^

Archived