Maxwell 3d Model

Hi everyone I have been a huge fan of Don't Starve for years. I have recently gotten back into 3d modelling and decided to model Maxwell one of my favorite characters from the game. I still have work to do on the character with retopologizing, recreating hair and retexturing and detailing, But I wanted to ask for some constructive criticism from other fans of the game.

I wanted to give him the feel him as a player character with more wrinkles, bit of a comb over and generally older feeling while giving him some of the proportions more appropriate to his puppet master form.

So I wanted to ask what do you guys think about the proportions, colours, and overall feel of the character? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

01.jpg02.jpg03.jpg04.jpg05.jpg

• Like 20

I used zbrush for the sculpting and will probably bring it into Maya later for some tuneup and rigging. The color of the suit is what mainly had me stumped because sometimes its light grey, sometimes dark, or even brown in game, or purple in some art. Though I will probably give it a more purple color now that I remember that purple is linked with shadow in this game.

Thank you minespatch for the compliment the face i spent a while with experimenting on the skin put most of the clothes I plan to heavily remodel and retexture to give cleaner edges and sharpen the textures.

I wanted to get a feel for the aesthetics of the game mainly while partially being inspired by the modelling style of movies like Nightmare before Christmas. Depending on how this turns out I may try to model a couple of other characters from Don't Starve with similar body styles not the stumpy child look in game. Probably Wes because I love the goofy weirdo and either Wilson as the face of the game or Woody because it is aboot time Canada gets more cool characters, eh.

• Like 2

Zbrush and Maya... explains the quality. You should be proud of your modelling. I'd have his nose slightly less pointed since it's not that sharp, a purple coat too, otherwise it's really fun.

And I'd love to see you modelling more! Do Triumphant Wes please!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TrueCooperAtion said:

Depending on how this turns out I may try to model a couple of other characters from Don't Starve with similar body styles not the stumpy child look in game.

Just make sure they aren't as skinny, beanpole-like as Maxwell ;)

Curious question, is it possible to convert these type of models to PMD for MMD? (It's a noobie novice animation program that mostly relates (but not limited) to anime characters).

Just now, DragonMage156 said:

Curious question, is it possible to convert these type of models to PMD for MMD? (It's a noobie novice animation program that mostly relates (but not limited) to anime characters).

I think there may be a possibility of porting, although be aware that Zbrush is a really professional sort of software and thus the plugin may be pay-for. I'd have to ask one fellow on DA whether she uses Zbrush to port her own models to such programs or not.

I would not make them all skinny like Maxwell. 

Wes would probably have a similar build.

Wilson would probably have a with thicker of a build but not nearly as tall.

Woodie would have broader shoulders, thicker core, and bigger arms.

Wolfgang would be built probably like like an upside-down triangle broad at top but getting thinner as you head to the feet, kinda like Mr Incredible.

Wigfrid I always pictured having a relatively muscular build and being decently tall.

Wendy and Webber would have more child like builds with shorter limbs bigger heads and being shorter than the rest.

Willow and Wickerbottom would have a bit of indication of their gender but obviously done tastefully. Thin limbs but not lanky like Maxwell, though I can picture Wickerbottom as both really tall with perfect posture looking like a severe school teature or kind of short.

I was wondering what everyone thought the character heights would be relative to eaxh other? My thoughts are...

Maxwell tallest

Wilson about a head to head and a half shorter than Maxwell

Wolfgang maybe a few inches shorter than Maxwell.

Wendy and Webber probably 2/3-3/4 Wilson's height.

Willow a bit shorter than Wilson.

Woodie somewhere in between Wolfgang and Wilson.

Wigfrid either around woodies height to give an amazon feeling or possibly a bit shorter than Wilson giving a more squat powerful build.

Wickerbottom probably a height around Woodie to give her the much needed reach for higher shelves in the library and to give her a more intimidating teacher feeling.

Wes I either picture shorter than Willow giving him a small weak vibe or a bit taller than Woodie giving him a a tall lanky weirdo feeling.

9 hours ago, DragonMage156 said:

Just make sure they aren't as skinny, beanpole-like as Maxwell ;)

To covert probably would not be feasable at this point due to the high poly count of zbrush but I do plan to retopo this model down to a reasonably level allowing for rigging and use in other programs.

5 hours ago, Mobbstar said:

Close, but no cigar.

*badumts*

I knew I had forgotten something thanks.

Edited by TrueCooperAtion

A lot of people usually imagine Wilson being shorter than Willow as a joke XD but realistically, I think he would be taller, being around 10 years older :p

I think Wes should be shorter, it'll add to his adorableness (there are a lot of Wes fans on here).

Being a fan of Wigfrid, I'd say she's either the same height as Wilson or maybe shorter. Idk, I'll have to see after a few models are done.

All the others I think are fine :)

6 hours ago, TrueCooperAtion said:

Wow while on reddit I saw this as someones profile pick and I had totally forgot i had been working on this... I need to see if i can find it on my computer and do some more work on it.

Okay, glad you're still around.:wilson_ecstatic: