[Guide] How to make Steel? (And unlock the recipe)

Hello,

Last Update : 11/02/18 - Space Industry Upgrade

IMPORTANT : since Rocketry Upgrade the Metal Refinery has been fixed so now you can't use polluted water in a infinite loop or you will encounter that :

Here's my advice to don't transform you refinery in a bomb :

Classic Metal Refining (Copper, Iron, Gold and Wolfranite)

Use polluted water as a coolant but never loop it ! Only a straight way or you will obtain a really hot steam !

The Carbon Skimmer is an option to repollutate the water has been cooled by the Water Sieve.

steel4.png.c95a940213d32e1787d0984ebf1e011f.pngsteel5.png.0de8a3813cef8d4ce8203c9abe480377.png

However, I think it's a waste of ressources to refine classics metal with the refinery, better use the Smooth Hatch, it's only cost 5% of your raw metal. And 8 Smooth Hatch can refine 1,12 tons / cycle !

smooth.png.95474f37112d6df76fa481aa6317adc3.png

Steel Refining

NEVER use polluted water, you have to use crude oil or you will have steam. Obviously, if you have a big cooler system that allow you to have cold polluted water, you can use it, but in other case never use it.

The concept is the same with the Water Sieve but instead use the Petrol Refinery to cool the crude oil and refine it in Petroleum :

refinery.thumb.png.158b3f6be85c177e50b127b47cf50761.png

You can loop the crude oil few times but it's dangerous, again no loop no danger.

TUTORIAL : HOW TO UNLOCK THE RECIPE

Here's a tutorial to learn how make Steel, more precisely how to unlock the recipe, which is currently not easy to understand :

Step 1 : unlock this research branch

steel1.thumb.png.a6dce95285086286c0fbb43f9b4e290d.png

Note that the "High-Temperature Forging" is not necessary to unlock the Steel's recipe, those are the objects that use Steel.

Step 2 : find Egg Shell in the nature or by ranching creature

You will need 5 Kg of Egg Shell to unlock the Steel's recipe. Note : the heaviest egg is that of fish.

eggshell.thumb.png.c1c322c079bc0d3337932e372d33463c.png

Step 3 : dig ou make some Coal

You need 100 Kg of Coal. You can dig it in the asteroid or obtain it by feeding/ranching Hatch.

coal.png.a72901282dacbe4e5bedf3550936d92d.png

Step 4 : dig some Iron Ore

You need 100 Kg of Iron Ore. You can dig it in the caustic biome.

iron.png.dd6824ba129f371ba604be74dd8519b5.png

Step 5 : crushe Egg Shell into Lime with a Rock Granulator

steel2.png.0dbbc6a991508f10ebec59818a084979.png

You only need 1 Lime (+1) to unlock the recipe.

Electricity needed : 240W

Step 6 : cook Coal to obtain Refined Carbon with the Kilin

steel3.png.90076d59c90d669ea71e6533010d0bdd.png

You only need 1 Refined Carbon to unlock the recipe.

Electricity needed : 0W (one Duplicant to cook)

Step 7 : melt Iron Ore into Iron with the Metal Raffinery

steel7.png.b5dee330ece612c8152b70d0b4f4a5cb.png

You only need to melt 100K of Iron Ore to unlock the recipe.

Electricity needed : 1200 W

Once you made Lime, Refined Carbon and Iron, you will unlock the Steel Recipe :

steel8.png.d041f732a4199b588202b3982450c1e9.png

How much steel I need for the surface?

steel6.thumb.png.4bfa1377a247b770be560a4ab59f5061.png

How much steel I need for the Steam Rocket?

For the biggest Rocket (9 Research Modules), you need 4 tons steel + 1 tons for the socle.

Related recipes :

Bunker Door (500Kg of Steel)

- 350 Kg of Iron Ore (melted in Iron)

- 100 Kg of Coal (cooked in Refined Carbon)

- 50 Kg of Egg Shell (crushed in Lime)

Bunker Tile (100 Kg of Steel)

- 70 Kg of Iron Ore (melted in Iron)

- 20 Kg of Coal (cooked in Refined Carbon)

- 10 Kg of Egg Shell (crushed in Lime)

I have all the ingredients, I have the full research tree, and while I can make the other recipes, it just says "Errand Assigned" in red when I try to make steel even when all my dupes are just idling around. Is there some job requirement specific for steel or something else I am missing? Maybe cooling with 22C clean water is not enough? 

1 hour ago, Gurgel said:

I have all the ingredients, I have the full research tree, and while I can make the other recipes, it just says "Errand Assigned" in red when I try to make steel even when all my dupes are just idling around. Is there some job requirement specific for steel or something else I am missing? Maybe cooling with 22C clean water is not enough? 

Good question, I had the same problem. It tooks a lot of time before my Duplicant begin the refining, but it doesn't need any specific job. Maybe a bug, I didn't identify the point yet, but don't worry it will work.

Good question, I had the same problem. It tooks a lot of time before my Duplicant begin the refining, but it doesn't need any specific job. Maybe a bug, I didn't identify the point yet, but don't worry it will work.

Prioritize operate from the job menu for one of your duplicants. This is your problem.

31 minutes ago, RonEmpire said:

steel seems to be finite    since iron ore is super finite and rare on my biome.      and no iron volcano.  

any way to get more iron?

Do deconstruction of a badly placed bunker tile get full refund ?

you can get more occasionally from iron comets that crash down on your colony

54 minutes ago, RonEmpire said:

steel seems to be finite    since iron ore is super finite and rare on my biome.      and no iron volcano.  

any way to get more iron?

Do deconstruction of a badly placed bunker tile get full refund ?

The real issue is the lime not the iron ore.  You must have a unique seed to not have 100's of MT of iron ore to turn into iron

On 6/12/2018 at 11:44 AM, Gurgel said:

Worked yesterday evening immediately when I loaded my test-save. I guess this got fixed by the patch yesterday.

oh, it wasn't the patch that fixed it.

it fixed because you reloaded your save, i get that problem all the time and i have to reload my save every time.

I've updated the guide :

- Add an information about the risk to use polluted water as a coolant.

- Updated Screenshots

- Updated Egg shell farming method

- Add "how many steel is needed for the surface"

- Add "how many steel is needed for the steam rocket".

On 6/11/2018 at 6:04 AM, SamLogan said:

IMPORTANT : since Rocketry Upgrade the Metal Refinery has been fixed so now you can't use polluted water in a infinite loop or you will encounter that :

What are you talking about?  This hasn't changed in RU.  The bug you link isn't from a closed loop; it's from having a broken output pipe and continuing to feed in more coolant.  Making a closed loop has never worked.  You would simply boil the coolant in the pipe.

On 6/11/2018 at 6:04 AM, SamLogan said:

However, I think it's a waste of ressources to refine classics metal with the refinery, better use the Smooth Hatch, it's only cost 5% of your raw metal. And 8 Smooth Hatch can refine 1,12 tons / cycle !

It's 25%, not 5%.  You also have to waste a bunch of metal being turned into coal by normal hatches to get them to lay a smooth hatch egg.

For me smooth hatches aren`t bad beacause of the 25% tax but beacause it takes a lot of time to set them up in serious numbers and then you got little control over how much you produce. You can`t just stop prodcution without killing them off.

Archived