Mine everything challenge

I've heard a couple people joke about mining literally the whole asteroid. Noteably, Eadra gave it a good run at one point. I'm going to try and push the limits farther then anyone else has so far. I wanted to start this thread to share tips and document my progress as well as the progress of anyone else that decides to try it with me. I'll be doing it entirely legit (with one exception, I used debug mode to locate my first steam geyser).

So far, on cycle 1242, with 9 dupes, I just finished turning 10%+ of the asteroid into a vacuum (well, the pump is running as we speak. It's going to take a while). And I've managed to prevent lag entirely. The game runs the same now as it did on cycle 20.

The pillars of my strategy so far are like this:

1) Manage your storage with a long term focus. A storage box in a gas environment that contains 15 different types of material has to do 16 calculations per simulation tick (1 for each material to interact with the box itself, and one for the box to interact with the environment). Forty of those (which I easily got to fairly quickly), will cause a total of at least 640 temperature calculations per frame. Most people end up with FAR more than just forty storage boxes.

I put all my storage boxes in a perfect vacuum, and only allow them to hold one material type per box. Which means that the boxes don't interact with the environment, and the stored material interacts with the box just once. Which means I can have hundreds of boxes with minimal impact.

2) Avoid circular paths. In order to simplify the calculations for pathfinding updates, make sure that there is never a scenario where a dupe has to choose between two routes. There should only be one path from any point in your base, to any other point.

3) Large empty areas should be vacuums to minimize temp and flow calculations as well as reduce tile animations.

I'm not sure which of these will actually guarantee good results, because I haven't analyzed the game code with this goal in mind, but I've made it this far without slowing down, so it seems something is.

I think I'll make it. Eventually. :D

Anyone care to join?

Screenshot.png

6 hours ago, Erasmus Crowley said:

cycle 1242

6 hours ago, Erasmus Crowley said:

The game runs the same now as it did on cycle 20.

Unless we have void, or any large scale mechanism to delete gas, there no way we can contain every gas in one same spot. Soon or later the gas need place

But anyway that very good work, its like a dream, having smooth performance

I have dev known the issue and can make improvemet in the future

28 minutes ago, Botaxalim said:

Unless we have void, or any large scale mechanism to delete gas, there no way we can contain every gas in one same spot. Soon or later the gas need place

The only gas that currently can't be deleted on a large scale is chlorine. Hydrogen and natural gas is deleted by generators. Oxygen (both kinds) are deleted by dupes. CO2 is deleted in several ways. Phosphorous gas can be cooled down and solidified in a controlled manor.

@Erasmus Crowley You can use a single storage container for everything. When full empty it. The content drops on the floor rearranging itself neatly into separate 50 ton piles. Do the same with a single fridge for food storage but in a sterile environment.

I've thought about doing this too. My way of deleting gas will be to enclose them all in a room utilizing the overpressurized vents(gas bounces off so it never fully reaches max pressure.) Then I gradually build the room in until all gas disappear. The real challenge is to finish this by the time next Preview comes out.

6 minutes ago, WanderingKid said:

Hrm, this could be fun!  How do you intend to mine out the magma though?

Could use the magma to heat up crude oil or, the universal answer to all heat problems, - Liquid Oxygen :D 

Just out of interest - what clearing technique do you use?

I'm currently using one space on the horizontal and three on the vertical:

On the horizontal: ladder/space/ladder/space.

On the vertical: ladder/space/space/space/ladder.

This way they can reach everything, and still deconstruct the ladders from the top of the area downward.

1 one ladder and then I dig on the sides 3 high. 

It looks like this after you have dug out. 

Digging

And then you can start from the top and dig and destroy the tiles. I find it very efficient and you dont get stuck with dupes. Best is to start from bottom up. Least chans for a dupe to get stuck.

3 hours ago, NanoD said:

Digging

And then you can start from the top and dig and destroy the tiles. I find it very efficient and you dont get stuck with dupes. Best is to start from bottom up. Least chans for a dupe to get stuck.

I've been doing similar, but starting from the top of the map and working down. I've had a LOT of problems with dupes getting stranded, or digging themselves into a corner.

I think I'll start doing it this way.

@Erasmus Crowley I will teach you but hurry before someone submits it in the bug report :D

1. Fully build your tiles
  2. Build tiles of a different resource on top
  3. Immediately cancel those tiles from being built
  4. Fully build your pneumatic door on top
  5. Click each of the individual tiles on the door and deconstruct(Do Not use your "X" shortkey) - Tiles will be a shade lighter
  6. Now build your new tiles on top of the door and SMILE! :D

8 minutes ago, Erasmus Crowley said:

Yea, so... Klei?

If we could just go ahead and call this a feature instead of a bug, I'd really appreciate it. lol

check my video :)

build pneumatic door and save & load or 2 tile select and deconstrution and build 2 tile

On 18/10/2017 at 12:57 AM, NanoD said:

That makes sense : )

For some reason I thought to apply the 3-tile-high to ladders but not the floor XD

How do you do to pump ALL the gas from a room and make it Void? There is a point each cell have 1g gas.

What if your dupes need to enter to deposit more materials, they will introduce CO2?

Thanks, I have been trying to fix lag.

3 minutes ago, Segato said:

How do you do to pump ALL the gas from a room and make it Void? There is a point each cell have 1g gas.

What if your dupes need to enter to deposit more materials, they will introduce CO2?

Thanks, I have been trying to fix lag.

Just leave a pump in there running. The gas gets down to 1g then starts counting in mg, and then once it gets down to 1mg, it'll switch down to mcg. Mcg can't be divided down any further than 1 mcg, so when the whole room gets down to single digit mcgs it will start to 'collapse' into a vacuum that moves in a wave from the pump's position outward. Big rooms can take a loooong time though. I've been trying to clear out the gasses in that large room in my first screenshot for several hundred cycles. I'm down to an average of about 600mcg per tile.

Archived