9 minutes ago, Jonathan Hoffman said:

Thanks so much for all the help, ya'll.  Gonna try it one last time before calling it quits.

How do you get that little drop of petrol in the corner next to your doors ? Do you construct\deconstruct a bottle emptier every time?

It's actually supercoolant. Oil would freeze. And yes, construct bottle emptier, drip, deconstruct, mop the rest.It's about 30g of liquid, and would stay forever, if you don't drop something that can turn to liquid or gas (slime, ice, bleach stone... bottle of liquid oxygen) right into tile with drop of liquid. It's more compact, but a little less reliable alternative for liquid locks.

7 minutes ago, Jonathan Hoffman said:

Also, is there any disadvantage to using a mix of oxygen/polluted oxygen?  Should I pipe it into the room at full pressure or regulate how much I send in there?

As far as i know polluted oxygen and normal oxygen acts the same for a purpose of LOX creating.

I don't regulate amount of oxygen, but if you pump too much and too hot - that may cause problem. I'm pumping 50C oxygen at 1kg/s - so far no problem. But i have shutoff to close oxygen supply when i reach target amount of LOX in the tank.

23 hours ago, Coolthulhu said:

Oxygen can't change phase while in the tank. Make sure you empty your pipes after loading the LOX. You need a completely isolated "main LOX tank" somewhere nearby, then let out only enough LOX to load the rocket. Afterwards either empty the pipes (and waste LOX), let the pipes burst (and waste LOX and rock) or build a conduit that can return the overflow back to isolated storage tank.

Also, control the weight as much as you can. Switch to LOX as soon as possible, because oxylite loading is currently bugged hard and dupes will load it to 2700kg no matter what you try to limit it to.

just as a side note you can limit your oxylite production with a negative signal from a command capsule combined with a AND logic with a weight plate under your oxylite to a desired weight

2 hours ago, Jonathan Hoffman said:

Also, is there any disadvantage to using a mix of oxygen/polluted oxygen?  Should I pipe it into the room at full pressure or regulate how much I send in there?

2 hours ago, Fischer_L said:

As far as i know polluted oxygen and normal oxygen acts the same for a purpose of LOX creating.

Well, Polluted Oxygen has, albeit very slightly, a higher thermal capacity than normal Oxygen. The difference is only .005, a bit less than a % but welp, that is the only difference... it is worth mentioning that low density works best so one better uses a larger room and applies the cooling affect on as many points as possible.

On 10/30/2018 at 8:15 PM, Coolthulhu said:

Oxygen can't change phase while in the tank.

True, but the tank lets the liquid transfer heat with external tiles so you need to build it with the best insulator (at least ceramic).

If you don't, you won't be able to take it out since it breaks all pipes.

5 hours ago, Jonathan Hoffman said:

Really easy to make?  Guess after 250 hours of gameplay I'm still a noob :(

Just an example I've made with sandbox while I was trying to experiment the best system to replicate in survival mode. All materials are pre-space:

image.thumb.jpeg.f2d4239a361e3a58052684d7ba8d81f1.jpeg

Gas pipes:

Spoiler

image.thumb.jpeg.92b8c7ba3cf5b9aa006b86e9977bee5f.jpeg

Automation:

Spoiler

image.thumb.jpeg.c2cc271fd57d65c555e72241f380f956.jpeg

Temperature overlay:

Spoiler

image.thumb.jpeg.fdf9bcf1de65ee75516fcc296fee6af6.jpeg

It's just a quick experiment, as you can see I didn't care about space (it's not optimized), I just wanted to play around a bit and make something that should be clear enough to understand.

There are several things that should be added, for example building pipes inside insulated tiles to avoid temp exchange.

If I may also offer a tip to those struggling to build a LOx setup: Build your setup close to the surface in the  naturally occurring abyssalite structures. This saves you from building 3 of the four walls to make an insulated box and also saves you materials needed to transport the LOx. A double wall of ceramic and a couple of thermoregulators are all you need. This is a picture of my latest build, plenty of space to store LOx and more than enough production capacity for one rocket running regular trips. The liquid vents are there to get some forced convection going, it cuts down on the amount of tempshift plates you need to prevent the LOx from going solid while the gas is still warm. The only pipes that used to break are the ones that lead to the shutoff valves for fueling the rocket. That is because the pipes themselves are still quite warm when you build them. Once they are cold from lox getting in there they will stop breaking. Happy building.

image.thumb.png.37c4e4e8d952fe0e7ceb6c7606acab5c.png

5 hours ago, Jonathan Hoffman said:

Thanks so much for all the help, ya'll.  Gonna try it one last time before calling it quits.

How do you get that little drop of petrol in the corner next to your doors ? Do you construct\deconstruct a bottle emptier every time?

Easy, do this:

temp2.thumb.png.9a80aa5f50b0637552e2a0a2c580c53e.png

Mop and deconstruct. Mopping commands also mop the adjacent tile if the liquid contained is small enough, so you have to let it run over onto a lower tile.

temp2.thumb.png.e513e9d83684b4020a4756f3012b4f31.png

No Ashkans were harmed in the making of this guide. At least, nothing a save reload couldn't fix.

Heartless!!!

BTW< - finally got my LOX setup working last night with a closed loop - had to up from 3 to 5 regulators to speed the process a bit - but it was still painfully slow. Late game stuff sure takes forever.

Speaking to the original subject of this thread, my rockets are now returning with full cargo holds. I'm sure hopeful there will be worlds out there with higher concentrations of the rare materials, because even on the second teir planet with something like 10% or 20% isoresin, I could only make enough insulation for 3 insulated pipes.  That seems grossly inadequate.  

So my LOX tank filled up to something like 2 tons, vs my petrol tank filling to .9 T.  Does that mean I can have 2 full petrol tanks for one full tank of LOX?  Also, can you load up as many solid cargo containers as you want, and will they all come back full?

Making LOX with an aquatuner and super coolant will be much faster than a gas setup. It doesn't take much super coolant to build a small loop because each block of liquid in the pipe is just 10kg. In a matter of minutes you can get down to -210C for oxygen. You can cool the aquatuner with a steam turbine or using another coolant like oil or polluted water and then destroy the heat by turning the hot oil into 75C petroleum or sieve the polluted water. Or use petroleum and then burn it in a generator...or hydrogen. I'll be releasing a video about the setup tomorrow but there was another recent post which shows a great liquid hydrogen setup which also has a LOX setup.

Archived