Pipe Bridge Resource Saving Trick

4 minutes ago, crypticorb said:

I just loaded up your save file, and attempted to do what you'd done, without success. The building shows up red outline, just as if it were an invalid build location.

temp2.thumb.png.fcf8b8d30ec231e5b4fb97b3450ba256.png

What game version are you running? The current one is SU-291278.

Same version, the current one. I just realized that I can't overlap bridges (red outline, just as you) while the errand still has to be done. But once a bridge is actually constructed, I can overlap other bridges both on the input and output.

Just tested it with all my available materials, it's working everytime, both for gas and liquid bridges.

1 minute ago, qda said:

Same version, the current one. I just realized that I can't overlap bridges while the errand still has to be done. But once a bridge is actually constructed, I can overlap other brdiges both on the input and output.

Roughly when did you realize you were able to overlap bridges?

There was a patch recently that supposedly fixed the difficulties with multiple lavatory outputs being run in series, and this might be a related unexpected side effect.

5 minutes ago, crypticorb said:

I just loaded up your save file, and attempted to do what you'd done, without success. The building shows up red outline, just as if it were an invalid build location.

temp2.thumb.png.fcf8b8d30ec231e5b4fb97b3450ba256.png

What game version are you running? The current one is SU-291278.

I get the same result. Doesn't matter if I use the old trick with setting the next bridge to be built while the first one is under construction which was how it used to be possible.

Since forever, that's why I thought that was the standard behavior. As far as I can recall, I could do that in the ranching update. Can't remember before.

1 minute ago, Saturnus said:

I get the same result. Doesn't matter if I use the old trick with setting the next bridge to be built while the first one is under construction which was how it used to be possible.

Well my case is quite the opposite, I have to wait for the first brdige to be built, otherwise I can't even place the second one.

11 minutes ago, qda said:

So let's make this useful instead of either accusing or bashing each other.

Can someone use my save file, and tell if he can do that in his game ? If not, then my game has a serious issue, and by averaging your answers, this is most certainly the case.

And again, no tricks, nothing. Just clicking stuff and placing it on the map. On the said save file, my sieve might even have a bridge directly on its output, and it is working flawlessly.

I can confirm it is possible. It's a bit a strange. At first I can't overlay the blue prints, but after resources were delivered to the first bridge in your save game I could overlay them. I tested this in my game and I could not replicate that. However, when I let my dupes builf the first bridge, I was able to overlay it with a second one.

In short: build one brdige first, then overlay with the second. Note that I build entirely new bridges; I did not try to build further on existing ones.

3 minutes ago, ToiDiaeRaRIsuOy said:

I can confirm it is possible. It's a bit a strange. At first I can't overlay the blue prints, but after resources were delivered to the first bridge in your save game I could overlay them. I tested this in my game and I could replicate that. However, when I let my dupes builf the first bridge, I was able to overlay it with a second one.

In short: build one brdige first, then overlay with the second. Note that I build entirely new bridges; I did not try to build further on existing ones.

I reproduced this.

1 minute ago, Saturnus said:

Something is definitely wrong with your game then. I'd suggest putting up a bug report with a short video of you doing it and ask the devs to look at it.

Looks like I don't even have to do that, some people did it for me !

So the behavior really is different from one game to another, really strange. I'm gonna start a bug report then.

8 minutes ago, Saturnus said:

Me too now. Very odd indeed. And definitely a bug.

Just say sorry you grumpy :D.

It's obviously a bug. I think there's no ill will intended here; we have seen much more cringing exploits than just bridges being connected to eachother. It's not like I will bother to use this, or most others will bother.

1 minute ago, Fraxotic said:

Seems like u should think about taking ur own advice.

Why? I was right. He is exploiting a bug :)

Maybe unknowingly. And I apologize for that. But a bug is a bug, and has to be reported. Especially one as serious as this.

8 minutes ago, ToiDiaeRaRIsuOy said:

I can confirm it is possible. It's a bit a strange. At first I can't overlay the blue prints, but after resources were delivered to the first bridge in your save game I could overlay them. I tested this in my game and I could not replicate that. However, when I let my dupes builf the first bridge, I was able to overlay it with a second one.

Hmmmm, following this advice, I was also able to replicate it. It feels like a bug, as it isn't consistently constructable without that sequence. 

@Saturnus @qda @ToiDiaeRaRIsuOy Let's all just drink a cold hard cider and go back to exploiting the system, and enjoy this particular exploit while it lasts.

2 minutes ago, Saturnus said:

Even more strange. If I save/reload, I can't do it again until I have quit to desktop and open the save file again.

I suspect that's why people weren't able to build further on the existing bridges. Somehow it doesn't work when it embeds itself into the save file.

46 minutes ago, qda said:

Well, first and foremost, I don't like this attitude. Just clearly explain me what do you expect to achieve with that disdain and lack of trust. We're in forums dedicated to discussions and helping each others out, state me a single reason for which I would lie and trick people into believing those lies ? Be please a little more trustful, that will not hurt you at all, on the contrary.

So here is my  save file, you're gonna check it, realize that it is currently being played right now, by me, and that I just built overlapping gas and liquid bridges, and then we're gonna go back to a standard, meaningful discussion. Thank you.

Phlegm-Coated Factory.sav

Dont be angry with that guy.

He has always that kind of nasty and sarcastic attitud.

So keep calm, its not worth answer him anything against his logic independently if he is right or wrong. (:

1 hour ago, ToiDiaeRaRIsuOy said:

I suspect that's why people weren't able to build further on the existing bridges. Somehow it doesn't work when it embeds itself into the save file.

I suspect this is the most accurate statement of what is going on.

Sometimes I use debug to casually move a structure or wild plant with ALT-Q to slightly alter its position. What I've noticed is that the game will still treat any plant, structure, or non-mobile tile as if it were still in its original position until a save/load. The positions of stationary objects aren't embedded or saved permanently until that reload.

1 hour ago, Saturnus said:

Me too now. Very odd indeed. And definitely a bug.

Note I had to exit to desktop first to get it to work.

Sure Sure...

1 hour ago, Mr.Trueba said:

Dont be angry with that guy.

He has always that kind of nasty and sarcastic attitud.

So keep calm, its not worth answer him anything against his logic independently if he is right or wrong. (:

The problem is.... He is being an arrogant, rude, obnoxious ignorant punk who literally just had himself proven wrong...

His total arrogance at acting like he knows everything about the game and that the other guy *must* have been cheating in debug mode to do this.
His total ignorance at accepting that maybe the guy had found a new bug, but was unable (at the time) to figure out how to reproduce it, so again, resorts to calling him a cheater.
His total Cockiness to refuse to even apologize to the guy he was accusing of cheating earlier when multiple people (including himself) actually proved it was a bug and how to reproduce it.

So in short... the problem is not the sarcasm in his posts, it's the scumbag sitting behind the keyboard acting like he is above everyone else.

Saturnus... In short... Stop being a ****, yeh?

Let's all be nice with each other. Further swearing has no productive outcome and may result in the thread removal. Best practice: Providing a save game upload in the initial thread post, then people can report their findings if they want to spend some time on reproducing certain situations. Those which are still angry, give it a go at the punchball at home. Happy ONI everyone :)

Archived