Pipe Bridge Resource Saving Trick

I don't know whether anyone uses this, but I've been using it for a while and I have never seen it on the forums.  The idea is that gas pipe bridges are perfectly insulating and only cost 50, whereas insulated gas pipes cost 400.  So, when I need to transport high or low temperature gases or liquids, I save materials by essentially spamming pipe bridges. 

In the image below, both pipes transport gas 17 units.  The insulated gas pipes cost 6,800 kg of insulating material, which can be a serious pain if it is the space age insulator.  The top one, on the other hand, saves 2,000 kg insulated material in exchange for 250 kg of any material you want.  It also gets the gas from the left to the right faster, exposing the gas to the pipe for less time (if you aren't using insulation).

This is only worth it for insulated gas pipes and insulated liquid pipes, though the insulated liquid pipes cost 500 kg sandstone or what ever to build the bridges.

The only drawbacks are that it is hideous and that is tedious to make, but in many cases, especially with insulation, I feel it is worth it.  Especially since these can be hiding behind walls.

image.thumb.png.286ca20c3db9e4c60afcea87f1786966.png

I've mentioned doing it a few times on the forum to cut down the cost of ceramics or superinsulator insulated tiles. Also for cutting metal cost of conveyors. There is a hidden benefit you haven't mentioned; end to end bridges are faster and holds less liquid/gas/materials within them meaning that you can achieve things using this technique that would otherwise be more difficult. An obvious example is a supercoolant return pipe, you'll want to have as little supercoolant in pipes as possible. Another example would be a system that relies on very fast temperature adjustments which can greatly benefit from the faster throughput of bridged pipes.

Well, first and foremost, I don't like this attitude. Just clearly explain me what do you expect to achieve with that disdain and lack of trust. We're in forums dedicated to discussions and helping each others out, state me a single reason for which I would lie and trick people into believing those lies ? Be please a little more trustful, that will not hurt you at all, on the contrary.

So here is my  save file, you're gonna check it, realize that it is currently being played right now, by me, and that I just built overlapping gas and liquid bridges, and then we're gonna go back to a standard, meaningful discussion. Thank you.

Phlegm-Coated Factory.sav

15 minutes ago, Saturnus said:

Can't do it in vanilla game though ;)

You might not be able to.

But it's doable. Or at least was last time I checked.

It can have interestingly glitchy fluid flow in certain cases though.

7 minutes ago, TLW said:

You might not be able to.

But it's doable. Or at least was last time I checked.

It can have interestingly glitchy fluid flow in certain cases though.

Last time I checked that bug was fixed but it may have had a come back. I'll check.

Nope. Doesn't work anymore so definitely not vanilla, unless you show how you did it (so we can report the bug)

Just now, qda said:

Well, first and foremost, I don't like this attitude. Just clearly explain me what do you expect to achieve with that disdain and lack of trust. We're in forums dedicated to discussions and helping each others out, state me a single reason for which I would lie and trick people into believing those lies ? Be please a little more trustful, that will not hurt you at all, on the contrary.

So here is my  save file, you're gonna check it, realize that it is currently being played right now, by me, and that I just built overlapping gas and liquid bridges, and then we're gonna go back to a standard, meaningful discussion. Thank you.

Phlegm-Coated Factory.sav

Oh don't mind Saturnus, he loves a bit of a scrap. He's a good guy, but like most of us has some quirks :D.

Clearly something is going on differently on your game though (I am not saying it is modded or anything). I tried on my own current seed and I cannot overlay the bridges however I tried.

3 minutes ago, Zarquan said:

Don't accuse people of lying with no evidence or reason.  People experience unexpected behavior and bugs and can sometimes trigger supposedly impossible results.

Well. Long time ago you could do it but they fixed the bug, so all I'm asking is demonstrate how it's done now so we can report the bug and get it fixed.

11 hours ago, qda said:

Also, you can overlap bridges inputs and outputs, saving even more gas pipes !

This is not possible.

In the vanilla game, without debug, it is completely impossible to overlap two structures that have an output/input of the same type.

With debug, it is impossible to directly place the bridges overlapping each other's inputs or outputs. The only exception is if you build them separately and ALT-Q teleport them overlapping. Even then, it requires a save/load to get them to function at all.

@TLW @qdastop antagonizing others, and advertising your shenanigans that were obviously crafted in debug.

EDIT: I was mistaken, this is an inconsistent bug/exploit, see this error report for details, or read further. Ignore the antagonism on all sides.

1 minute ago, Saturnus said:

Well. Long time ago you could do it but they fixed the bug, so all I'm asking is demonstrate how it's done now so we can report the bug and get it fixed.

No, you didn't.  You accused him of lying without any cause.  Or, in your words, "Sure, sure."

Just now, Saturnus said:

No. I accused him of cheating or exploiting a bug, and that's exactly what he did, so get off your high horse there.

Yeah so this a place where you accuse people. Good understanding of what a forum is. Please stop being a **** and grow up.

Again, I'm not using any trick, any cheats, or anything really. The way I do it ? I just build a bridge, and then build another one on top of it, plain and simply.

4 minutes ago, crypticorb said:

This is not possible.

In the vanilla game, without debug, it is completely impossible to overlap two structures that have an output/input of the same type.

With debug, it is impossible to directly place the bridges overlapping each other's inputs or outputs. The only exception is if you build them separately and ALT-Q teleport them overlapping. Even then, it requires a save/load to get them to function at all.

@TLW stop antagonizing others, and advertising your shenanigans that were obviously crafted in debug.

I didn't even know that you could teleport stuff. Check my save file, and see for yourself.

2 minutes ago, Saturnus said:

No. I accused him of cheating or exploiting a bug, and that's exactly what he did, so get off your high horse there.

Maybe we should refrain from "accusing". Anyway, I would like to know how it is done. I can't build them overlaying eachother, not even in debug. Alt Q would probably work, but I would like to hear how qda does it.

1 minute ago, ToiDiaeRaRIsuOy said:

Maybe we should refrain from "accusing". Anyway, I would like to know how it is done. I can't build them overlaying eachother, not even in debug. Alt Q would probably work, but I would like to hear how qda does it.

Anyone can cheat and alt+q them on top of eachother but there is no way you can do it without it in a vanilla game. Or rather there shouldn't be. If it is possible to do without alt+q'ing then it should be in bug reports.

image.thumb.png.b3eb9d287f89575744ef1d01b8f67450.png

So let's make this useful instead of either accusing or bashing each other.

Can someone use my save file, and tell if he can do that in his game ? If not, then my game has a serious issue, and by averaging your answers, this is most certainly the case.

And again, no tricks, nothing. Just clicking stuff and placing it on the map. On the said save file, my sieve might even have a bridge directly on its output, and it is working flawlessly.

5 minutes ago, qda said:

Yeah so this a place where you accuse people. Good understanding of what a forum is. Please stop being a **** and grow up.

Again, I'm not using any trick, any cheats, or anything really. The way I do it ? I just build a bridge, and then build another one on top of it, plain and simply.

I didn't even know that you could teleport stuff. Check my save file, and see for yourself.

I just loaded up your save file, and attempted to do what you'd done, without success. The building shows up red outline, just as if it were an invalid build location.

temp2.thumb.png.fcf8b8d30ec231e5b4fb97b3450ba256.png

What game version are you running? The current one is SU-291278.

Archived