How to get the Walking Cane in Hamlet

I checked this forum and it seems so far nobody else has mentioned how to get a walking cane in Hamlet. I learned about this last night from a viewer on my stream that I'll call "3prophets". It doesn't involve the shops and thus far I've not seen the shop keeps sell more than just the walrus tusk so with the addition of this new walking cane I think it's safe to assume the old one has been retired for the DLC. 

Now there's some good and bad news here, the good is that this new walking cane can be obtained in the very early game, I'd say within a few days but it depends on how lucky you are during exploration and if you can quickly gather the needed materials to build a drying rack. The bad news is that the new cane has durability. For the sake of clarity I'll demonstrate with screenshots. 

1. Find one of those stationary venus flytrap plant things that want to bite you in the gear. 

dontstarve_steam_2018-10-25_09-25-21.thumb.png.347803ab6dfb50cc4e375791300512fd.png

2. After you kill it you'll see it drop this flytrap stalk. It's the same item used for making the Bug B Gone but did you know it has a secondary use? 

dontstarve_steam_2018-10-25_09-26-05.thumb.png.1fa80c7b5f950dd37c4a2ac05705e256.png

3. That's right! You can hang these babies up by their toes to dry on a normal drying rack. 

dontstarve_steam_2018-10-25_09-28-42.thumb.png.dffd5375b912edc122af193796582fb0.png

4. Give it a day or so to dry and you'll be the proud new owner of a fashionable old man walking cane. 

dontstarve_steam_2018-10-25_09-40-09.thumb.png.05691c1b30559abcaf69a927b8bf21b2.png

Here's a side by side shot of the old cane and the new one, the biggest difference between the two that isn't purely aesthetic is that the new cane has durability that appears to decrease as you walk with it. In a rough speed test I set up for both they appear to perform identically, neither seems faster than the other. It lasts 3 full days (so about 24 minutes) and it gives a 30% speed boost. The Walking Cane, for comparison, gives a 25% speed boost. Credit to @QuartzBeam for this correction.

Happy walking!

dontstarve_steam_2018-10-25_09-45-50.png

3 hours ago, QuartzBeam said:

It lasts 3 full days (so about 24 minutes) and it gives a 30% speed boost. The Walking Cane, for comparison, gives a 25% speed boost.

Good info, added it to the OP, though from my observations the Stalking Stick only has it's durability decrease if your character is actually moving. Granted, players will seldom stand still for extended periods of time, but if they do so with the stick equipped it would last longer than 3 days.  

8 hours ago, metallichydra said:

does anybody know how to get more seedlings and flytraps?

If I understand the code right, adult flytraps spawn seedlings from time to time (2-4 days, up to 5 flytraps nearby), and seedlings can be fed to grow into flytrap.

Archived