Rocket Calculator

49 minutes ago, SamLogan said:

Thanks for the last update, but personnaly I don't like the "desire option" system that's less intuitive than the old gauge. Espacially, we can't change the reservoirs that was not a problem with the gauge but with the new option, I feel it's more complicated to find our best rocket.

Appreciate the feed back :)

How were you using the older tool that made inputting fuel and getting distance as an answer better than how it is now? (Inputting distance and getting fuel as the answer)

I could perhaps insert two sliders (fuel and distance) and let users slide either, but its just the time I need to justify. 

3 hours ago, TunderLock said:

How were you using the older tool that made inputting fuel and getting distance as an answer better than how it is now? (Inputting distance and getting fuel as the answer)

I could perhaps insert two sliders (fuel and distance) and let users slide either, but its just the time I need to justify. 

Before, I was choosing first the modules then move the slidder to see the different possibilities. :)

I realise I'm quite late to this party, but thanks for the tool. Rockets are a bit of a mystery to me and I like that I can just tell this page what I want and it'll give me answers. I have run into problems though. I was trying to get to a 40k planet using petroleum.

I put in the details of the rocket I wanted and it told me that I'd need a petroleum engine, cargo bay, oxidiser (oxylite), 2 liquid fuel tanks and 1265L of fuel.

I set up my rockets with its 2 liquid fuel tanks - one containing 632L of petroleum and the other containing 633L of fuel but it couldn't get to my 40k planet. Fortunately I filled up the fuel tanks and it could get to 44k, but I'm not sure if there's an error on the calculations the site is using, or if I've misunderstood something?

I did fill up with oxylite but not sure if I should have just been using 1265kg instead?

4 minutes ago, CherryHavoc said:

I realise I'm quite late to this party, but thanks for the tool. Rockets are a bit of a mystery to me and I like that I can just tell this page what I want and it'll give me answers. I have run into problems though. I was trying to get to a 40k planet using petroleum.

I put in the details of the rocket I wanted and it told me that I'd need a petroleum engine, cargo bay, oxidiser (oxylite), 2 liquid fuel tanks and 1265L of fuel.

I set up my rockets with its 2 liquid fuel tanks - one containing 632L of petroleum and the other containing 633L of fuel but it couldn't get to my 40k planet. Fortunately I filled up the fuel tanks and it could get to 44k, but I'm not sure if there's an error on the calculations the site is using, or if I've misunderstood something?

I did fill up with oxylite but not sure if I should have just been using 1265kg instead?

Do you mean you filled it with 2700kg of oxylite? If so there's your answer. The extra oxylite made your rocket too heavy.

I did, although the site says

Main engine oxidizer is 100% of whichever you pick

and also dry mass 2900kg (although also wet mass 2530, which I don't know what it means although I do notice 2x1265=2530).

Am I now right in thinking that however much fuel you use should be matched with the same amount of oxylite?

Super glad for this tool. Like I said, rockets are a complete mystery to me so I really do need a site that tells me everything I need to know. Assume I'm an idiot!

I like the new desired option and I hope someone can reproduce the same bug-crash I could replicate, before updating my Browser that is:

Just and only select Hydrogen Engine and trace the part on the graph where the last drop is (5,6t fuel) "delicately", Google Chrome is gave me an "Oh Snap!". The only other Browser I could try readily is Internet Explorer 11 which, well... it does not show the graph nor the fuel required, not that you would need to fix that since "who in their right mind would use it?!". After updating it appears that the error-exception into crash has been replaced with a semi-short "I ain't showing you any numbers anymore!", how cheeky. 

I suppose it happened because I want to see what I'd get if I point at the vertical line~

1 hour ago, CherryHavoc said:

I did, although the site says

and also dry mass 2900kg (although also wet mass 2530, which I don't know what it means although I do notice 2x1265=2530).

Am I now right in thinking that however much fuel you use should be matched with the same amount of oxylite?

Super glad for this tool. Like I said, rockets are a complete mystery to me so I really do need a site that tells me everything I need to know. Assume I'm an idiot!

Ya oxylite mass should equal fuel mass. Any more and its just extra weight that's not doing anything but making your rocket heavier.

On 1/20/2019 at 7:57 AM, TunderLock said:

Could we have a selectable option to use the old way where you put in what rocket you already have in terms of fuel tanks and then see range (or even fuel for a given distance like it is currently).  If I already have a rocket, it does no good to be told I only need 1 fuel tank when I have three.

3 hours ago, chemie said:

If I already have a rocket, it does no good to be told I only need 1 fuel tank when I have three.

I am in the same camp. I mean, empty tanks aren't too heavy and I don't mind having to pad the calculated fuel by 10-20 kilos, but it'd be nice if I could tell the tool exactly how many tanks I have.

Thanks for the website by the way, it's extremely useful.

7 hours ago, biopon said:

I am in the same camp. I mean, empty tanks aren't too heavy and I don't mind having to pad the calculated fuel by 10-20 kilos, but it'd be nice if I could tell the tool exactly how many tanks I have.

Thanks for the website by the way, it's extremely useful.

Ahhhh ok, I see the angle you guys are coming from, ty. 

I'll put it together over the weekend. 

Thanks very much for the calculator TunderLock it's been a life saver. Trying to figure this stuff out with trial and error was painful.

I was just playing around trying to figure out how many rockets I could support on 1KG/s of oxygen and after doing some repetitive math I thought if it's not to much effort could you included the average fuel consumption per second for a rocket config? For example a petroleum rocket to the 10k ring on liquid oxygen consumes a little under 211g/s of oxygen on it's three cycle round trip. Would anyone else be interested in this feature?

On 10/02/2019 at 1:21 PM, JohnFrancis said:

ould you included the average fuel consumption per second for a rocket config? For example a petroleum rocket to the 10k ring on liquid oxygen consumes a little under 211g/s of oxygen on it's three cycle round trip. Would anyone else be interested in this feature?

Interesting, I'll add it to the to-do list. I myself have been meaning to add a fuel/cargo bay metric to get a feel for efficient fuel usage.

3 hours ago, badgamer123 said:

i tired both phone and desktop still not working for me....i was using a old phone tho don't know if that hurt.

Concerning. I was pushing a lot of updates over the weekend so perhaps you caught a bad cache. 

If clearing your browser cache doesn't help or opening chrome incognito then do PM me.

13 hours ago, TunderLock said:

Interesting, I'll add it to the to-do list. I myself have been meaning to add a fuel/cargo bay metric to get a feel for efficient fuel usage.

Concerning. I was pushing a lot of updates over the weekend so perhaps you caught a bad cache. 

If clearing your browser cache doesn't help or opening chrome incognito then do PM me.

tired a cache and incongnite both failed

Archived