How to produce isogel?

16 minutes ago, AndreyKl said:

Produce glass in space or vacuum.

Still not enough by itself. The problem is that the output temperature is so close to the solidification temperature that even a tiny amount of thermal transfer is enough to break the pipes, and if you repair the pipes you just add more low temperature mass so that just makes it worse. The only way to make it really work is to build it in vacuum but before you build the glass forge, you preheat radiant pipes to 1900-2000K (or at least above the 1700K solidification temperature), and then build the glass forge on top of the preheated radiant pipes.

31 minutes ago, AndreyKl said:

It is over 300C, steam turbine requires 226.

That's very little spread.  I suspect you will have a hard time using a passive radiant pipe system to transfer enough heat with so little temperature spread.

20 minutes ago, Saturnus said:

The only way to make it really work is to build it in vacuum but before you build the glass forge, you preheat radiant pipes to 1900-2000K (or at least above the 1700K solidification temperature), and then build the glass forge on top of the preheated radiant pipes.

Why would you use radiant pipes?  And what the hell can you use to preheat it that hot?  Does the pipe actually take enough damage to break fully before it heats up enough?  One or two hits of damage should be fine if you just disable auto repair and it gets up to temperature.  Also you only need two segments of insulated ceramic pipe to get it to a valve so you can limit the flow rate so that it won't cause damage when it does cool enough.

16 minutes ago, psusi said:

That's very little spread.  I suspect you will have a hard time using a passive radiant pipe system to transfer enough heat with so little temperature spread.

I have yet to do it myself, but there are enough successful build on forum to know that it can work. And pipes are not the only solution, I was thinking about doors adjusted to bunker tiles or door-pipe combination for better control.

2 hours ago, Saturnus said:

Still not enough by itself. The problem is that the output temperature is so close to the solidification temperature that even a tiny amount of thermal transfer is enough to break the pipes

Wouldn`t a really short pipe system work? Like 3 tiles and a vent? I guess ceramic will melt in liquid glass temperatures but is just a few tiles of insulated obsidian enough for it to solidify. I think i have to try it.

3 hours ago, Saturnus said:

Not really, no.

Have you tested that or are you just assuming? Seems perfectly fine here - the glass only loses a few degrees on the way to the cooling tank travelling through insulated ceramic, and has hundreds of degrees more cooling until solidifying - plenty of room for error unless I'm missing something?

Untitled.png

46 minutes ago, shanemadden said:

And speaking of "how to produce X"; I guess we're gonna need a Mercury source to make Super Coolant (I don't see it on any space objects and it's not mentioned as added in the notes).

Maybe they`ll finally add mercury to the world. It`s present in the early trailers already so it was planned for a long time. I wonder how will they do it. Will you get liquid mercury resevoirs in the caustic biomes, solid in the ice biomes or some other way to obtain it. I also wonder if it`ll get another function outside the molecular forge.

Yes, mercury has been in the game list of elements for a long long time.  Even as far back as the first public versions.  Back in mid 2017 I made a custom world gen that included mercury in the caustic biomes.  Funny thing is dupes could soak up the stuff with their multi-tools (There was no pitcher pumps back then) but then would store the liquid mercury in storage compactors.

10 hours ago, Sasza22 said:

Wouldn`t a really short pipe system work? Like 3 tiles and a vent? I guess ceramic will melt in liquid glass temperatures but is just a few tiles of insulated obsidian enough for it to solidify. I think i have to try it.

Ceramic has a lower melting point than glass?  That seems wrong.

3 hours ago, psusi said:

Ceramic has a lower melting point than glass?  That seems wrong.

Yup, it's 1850 to melt ceramic and the glass comes out cooler than that (and it'd take the glass a very long time sitting in the pipe to get the pipe near the glass's temp).

7 hours ago, shanemadden said:

Yup, it's 1850 to melt ceramic and the glass comes out cooler than that (and it'd take the glass a very long time sitting in the pipe to get the pipe near the glass's temp).

You mean hotter than that?

8 hours ago, shanemadden said:

Yup, it's 1850 to melt ceramic and the glass comes out cooler than that

My bad. I got confused by ceramic getting melted by some volcanoes from a different thread and i assumed it has a lower melting point without checking it.

19 hours ago, shanemadden said:

And speaking of "how to produce X"; I guess we're gonna need a Mercury source to make Super Coolant (I don't see it on any space objects and it's not mentioned as added in the notes).

Untitled.png

Excellent find. So super coolant is actually impossible to make in the game because mercury doesn't exist as a substance you can actually get in the game.

I wonder if any of the other new material super materials have the same flaw.

24 minutes ago, Saturnus said:

Excellent find. So super coolant is actually impossible to make in the game because mercury doesn't exist as a substance you can actually get in the game.

I wonder if any of the other new material super materials have the same flaw.

Looks like all the others are possible:

Tungsten + Niobium makes Thermite

Petroleum + Isoresin makes Visco-Gel

Abyssalite + Isoresin makes Insulation

22 hours ago, shanemadden said:

Looks like all the others are possible:

Tungsten + Niobium makes Thermite

Petroleum + Isoresin makes Visco-Gel

Abyssalite + Isoresin makes Insulation

Are you sure about that? It is actually possible to get Niobium or Isoresin? Has anyone successfully gotten any of the new materials back from the other planets?

34 minutes ago, FierceClaws said:

Niobium and isoresin are theoretically obtainable but the planets show 0% niobium and 0%

Don`t you need really low amounts to craft new stuff though? Like 1 kg per 100 kg. Maybe the amounts are lower than 1% so it shows as 0 but you can still get a few kilograms per trip.

Archived