Jump to content

Sour Gas Refinement


Recommended Posts

Been looking for ways to mass produce natural gas from sour gas and here is what I came up with:

It follows the same consent as the LOX build however it allows the methane to heat up again at the bottom so natural gas will mix in the chamber

Natural gas is lighter than sour gas so it rises to the top

8.thumb.png.8ef8351439b9f526e322f972f0cd0b10.png

This is a first crude design but it works and I know it could use some improvement 

Feel free to share any thoughts or ideas of your own with sour gas refinement 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Update: here is my second attempt one were I don't need to filter the natural gas

this seems to run more effective than the other one

20180923050428_1.thumb.jpg.85084745142ddbded5a2c403d5f47a41.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Yoma_Nosme said:

Suggestion. 

Why so many thermo regulators? Why not prime an AT with some liquid o2 running through the pipe?

You could shrink your ''silo'' by 2/3(ish)

 

too risky of pipes breaking 

there is only a 35 degree difference between the boiling and freezing point of LOX

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Neotuck said:

Feel free to share any thoughts or ideas of your own with sour gas refinement 

How do you manage to transport the hot sour gas to your chamber given it will at 500°C?

What its use of the small chamber on the bottom right? Cooling the crude oil?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, SamLogan said:

How do you manage to transport the hot sour gas to your chamber given it will at 500°C?

I plan to pre cool the sour gas first with crude oil from an oil well 90C

then cool it further with natural gas from the refinery 

5 minutes ago, SamLogan said:

What its use of the small chamber on the bottom right? Cooling the crude oil?

another pre cooling of sour gas before reaching the main chamber

Link to comment
Share on other sites

If you don't mind (ab)using pipe breaking mechanics you can do something pretty simple.

5ba7c6cfbaebd_SGRefinery.thumb.png.c0d346af0bf7c89f16ca3ea5e4b660b0.png

The natural diamond blocks on top and in the bottom right simulate a heat and cold source respectively. With the quantities involved (1 kg/s of NG production), supplying that heat/cold is trivial and I didn't bother mocking something up. Obviously a debug build, with optimizations/tinkering a good idea if you wanted to build in survival. The NG needs to be cooled a bit to be pumpable, but again that's trivial. Just a proof of concept to give some ideas.

 

SG Refinery.sav

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, Neotuck said:

20180923050428_1.thumb.jpg.85084745142ddbded5a2c403d5f47a41.jpg

Have you considered running the natural gas in parallel with the crude oil?  If you heat the natural gas to the temp of the sour gas, it will delete the heat when the natural gas is burned.  And you might need less thermoregulators.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Zarquan said:

Have you considered running the natural gas in parallel with the crude oil?  If you heat the natural gas to the temp of the sour gas, it will delete the heat when the natural gas is burned.  And you might need less thermoregulators.

It's true if I overlap the cold natural gas and the 90C crude oil I could cool the sour gas faster

However the reason I don't is because I didn't want the risk of the natural gas heating up past 90C or I'll risk overheating any gas pumps or natural gas generators down the line

9.png.2eff9810a5deccdcdbc3231b408363ca.png

1 hour ago, wachunga said:

If you don't mind (ab)using pipe breaking mechanics you can do something pretty simple.

can you explain this?  How are the pipes not breaking?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

47 minutes ago, Neotuck said:

can you explain this?  How are the pipes not breaking?

Pipes at or below 10% capacity don't break from the fluid inside wanting to change states due to temperature. Who knows if it's intentional or not, so use your own judgement.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Neotuck said:

It's true if I overlap the cold natural gas and the 90C crude oil I could cool the sour gas faster

However the reason I don't is because I didn't want the risk of the natural gas heating up past 90C or I'll risk overheating any gas pumps or natural gas generators down the line

If you keep the natural gas in a vacuum, the natural gas will not heat it.  If you immerse the generator water and put it on mesh tiles, then you can maintain temperature and a vacuum.  So you can heat the natural gas to what ever temperature you want.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

28 minutes ago, Zarquan said:

If you keep the natural gas in a vacuum, the natural gas will not heat it.  If you immerse the generator water and put it on mesh tiles, then you can maintain temperature and a vacuum.  So you can heat the natural gas to what ever temperature you want.

That's impossible, you can't maintain a vacuum around natural gas generators 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

NGGs will never overheat anyways, their overheat temperature is 75C, that clamps their environment to 75C. Then since you build from gold amalgam, they do not overheat. Not even in abyssalite insulation.

I like these ideas, I've personally given up due to the complexity required to upscale and the rather miniscule reward.

Rocketry is purely better now for water, and power was never the issue.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Carnis said:

NGGs will never overheat anyways, their overheat temperature is 75C, that clamps their environment to 75C. Then since you build from gold amalgam, they do not overheat. Not even in abyssalite insulation.

I like these ideas, I've personally given up due to the complexity required to upscale and the rather miniscule reward.

Rocketry is purely better now for water, and power was never the issue.

They will overheat if you start feeding them 1500 C natural gas in a hydrogen atmosphere.  Their "fixed temperatures" are actually bound to the current temperature of the generator.  If the generator is 60, it will produce 60 C products.  If it is -150 C, it will produce solid polluted ice and solid CO2.

2 hours ago, Neotuck said:

That's impossible, you can't maintain a vacuum around natural gas generators 

There are two methods with which you can maintain a vacuum around a natural gas generator that I know of.
One is with water to cover the polluted water so it can't offgas.  This can support natural gas at over 1600 C without overheating.

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.7786ba0859d9cfc40cc8737699dd7154.png

The other is by super-cooling the generator.  This can be done with petroleum or crude oil or methane or liquid oxygen or liquid hydrogen.

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.3be16313f27a3976498038aa46f5d97a.png

I ran both of these for multiple cycles with around 1500 C natural gas.  They appear to perfectly maintain their vacuums and not thermally interact with the extremely hot natural gas.

EDIT:  Though in the second one, the wheezeworts were acting weird and I needed to remove heat using debug.  But the principle is sound.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Carnis said:

I was talking about their atmosphere, which is clamped to max 75C

It is not.  I created an experiment.  I put a gold amalgam natural gas generator in a room, being fed about 74C natural gas  Everything started at 74 C, including the 5 kg hydrogen atmosphere.  After some time (maybe a cycle, I wasn't measuring), the natural gas generator was 97C.  And it is still climbing.

The atmosphere is not far behind.

It will eventually stabilize when the heat deletion from the heat going in to the natural gas is equal to the heat produced by the generator, but that won't be for a long time.  And the natural gas generator will break before that point.

After a while, the gold amalgam natural gas generator overheated.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Make a different experiment.

Its easier to show with 1kg Oxygen/tile & hydrogen generator in abyssalite.

I Ran around 40 NGGs in a non cooled system with 124C natural gas & the temp settled to 88C on the reactors & 75C on The atmosphere.

Your experiment probably fails because of high conductivity in hydrogen but this is speculation, regardless there is a heat deletion mechanism that clamps atmospheric temp to 75C..

Link to comment
Share on other sites

OK, I started a nat gas generator at 75 C with 1 kg oxygen and 124 C natural gas a the end of the 10th block (on the scheduler).  It overheated within 125 seconds.

But if there was a clamp on the atmosphere temperature, it would work with the hydrogen.

It appears to be clamped at 125 C, as neither experiment got the atmosphere past that.

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.4827d9ef8183d155733099c1d70efc2b.png

I also did this with a hydrogen generator, and it also overheated.  But there does appear to be a temp clamp at 125 C.

 

But this does get me thinking.  Could you just immediately change the temp of the sour gas to 125 C by running it past a natural gas generator (cooled by petroleum insulated with chlorine (the petroleum, not the generator)).  I will have to try this tomorrow.

In my opinion, temperature clamping shouldn't be a thing.  I know we had the tepidizer bug, but I don't think this is a good solution.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Please be aware that the content of this thread may be outdated and no longer applicable.

×
×
  • Create New...