Help! My Game Keeps Crashing

Summary from replies:

Thanks guys, @Kabrute@Djoums@tzionut for the help!

so @Djoums looked at the error log, which is shown below. He mentioned there could be a path finding error.

Spoiler

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
  at Navigator.GetNavigationCost (Int32 cell, .CellOffset[] offsets) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at Navigator.GetNavigationCost (IApproachable approachable) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at ChoreConsumer.GetNavigationCost (IApproachable approachable, System.Int32& cost) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at FetchChore.<IsFetchTargetAvailable>m__0 (.Context& context, System.Object data) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at Chore+Precondition+Context.RunPreconditions () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at Chore.CollectChores (.ChoreConsumerState consumer_state, System.Collections.Generic.List`1 succeeded_contexts, System.Collections.Generic.List`1 failed_contexts, Boolean is_attempting_override) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at FetchChore.CollectChoresFromGlobalChoreProvider (.ChoreConsumerState consumer_state, System.Collections.Generic.List`1 succeeded_contexts, System.Collections.Generic.List`1 failed_contexts, Boolean is_attempting_override) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at GlobalChoreProvider.CollectChores (.ChoreConsumerState consumer_state, System.Collections.Generic.List`1 succeeded, System.Collections.Generic.List`1 failed_contexts) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at ChoreConsumer.FindNextChore (.Context& out_context) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at Brain.FindBetterChore (.Context& context) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at Brain.UpdateChores () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at Brain.UpdateBrain () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at MinionBrain.UpdateBrain () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at BrainScheduler+BrainGroup.RenderEveryTick (Single dt) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at BrainScheduler.RenderEveryTick (Single dt) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at SimAndRenderScheduler+RenderEveryTickUpdater.Update (IRenderEveryTick updater, Single dt) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at UpdateBucketWithUpdater`1[IRenderEveryTick].Update (Single dt) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at StateMachineUpdater+BucketGroup.AdvanceOneSubTick (Single dt) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at StateMachineUpdater.RenderEveryTick (Single dt) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at Game.LateUpdate () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

@tzionutdiscovered that it might be because of the new 285480 version. And my save did start to crash frequently right after updating to this version.

@Kabrute suggests that it might be because of the debris piling above no-building zone, since that happened to some other players.

-----original post-----

As described in title, I have hard time continuing my adventure. I am close to making rocket and I don't wanna start over, cuz that's a lot of time invested. I gave up my friend told me I should ask for help in the forum. But I told her I have a 5 year old Mac, and no one will care if I ask for help. But she said someone will so it encouraged me to put up a post here.

For now I'm at cycle 481, and it crashes usually less than a minute after the cycle starts. I tried it after I restart my machine and have only steam and ONI open so game should have as much RAM and CPU power it can have. Then I tried an older save, and same thing happened shortly after the cycle started. I've tried dozens of times.

My Mac has 8G RAM, i5 core (i5-3230M), intel integrated graphics card, HD 4000.

I'm hope there is pro to tell me what to do, or should I still have hope? Or should I just give up and move on. Thx guys.

Edited:

My save file is here, maybe someone can load it to see if same thing happens.

Thx for the advice @Kabrute

Cantaloupe Cycle 481.sav

Goatt my laptop have an i3 processor, had 4gb ram (now 8GB), and dedicated graphic card (1GB ram i think from nvidia) and I reach 1640 cycle before restarting (whit 4gb ram), and 1370 my last game (whit 8 gb ram). Now I am on 430 cycle and the game works fine (whit a cooler of course). I think somthing elese is the problem. When I'm home I will try your save for see what is your problem...

I can confirm the crashing with your save and my pc is quite good - 16G ram, that's not the problem.

Looking at the error log, it seems to have something to do with pathfinding.

Spoiler

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
  at Navigator.GetNavigationCost (Int32 cell, .CellOffset[] offsets) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at Navigator.GetNavigationCost (IApproachable approachable) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at ChoreConsumer.GetNavigationCost (IApproachable approachable, System.Int32& cost) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at FetchChore.<IsFetchTargetAvailable>m__0 (.Context& context, System.Object data) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at Chore+Precondition+Context.RunPreconditions () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at Chore.CollectChores (.ChoreConsumerState consumer_state, System.Collections.Generic.List`1 succeeded_contexts, System.Collections.Generic.List`1 failed_contexts, Boolean is_attempting_override) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at FetchChore.CollectChoresFromGlobalChoreProvider (.ChoreConsumerState consumer_state, System.Collections.Generic.List`1 succeeded_contexts, System.Collections.Generic.List`1 failed_contexts, Boolean is_attempting_override) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at GlobalChoreProvider.CollectChores (.ChoreConsumerState consumer_state, System.Collections.Generic.List`1 succeeded, System.Collections.Generic.List`1 failed_contexts) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at ChoreConsumer.FindNextChore (.Context& out_context) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at Brain.FindBetterChore (.Context& context) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at Brain.UpdateChores () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at Brain.UpdateBrain () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at MinionBrain.UpdateBrain () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at BrainScheduler+BrainGroup.RenderEveryTick (Single dt) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at BrainScheduler.RenderEveryTick (Single dt) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at SimAndRenderScheduler+RenderEveryTickUpdater.Update (IRenderEveryTick updater, Single dt) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at UpdateBucketWithUpdater`1[IRenderEveryTick].Update (Single dt) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at StateMachineUpdater+BucketGroup.AdvanceOneSubTick (Single dt) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at StateMachineUpdater.RenderEveryTick (Single dt) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at Game.LateUpdate () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

I played a bit with it, isolated the dupes inside the base by closing all doors and breaking some ladders, no crash. Then restored every path one by one to find the faulty one, but I ended up restoring the starting situation and there's no crash anymore.

So really I don't know, but that (annoying) process may give you a way to fix your save :p

1 hour ago, Djoums said:

I played a bit with it, isolated the dupes inside the base by closing all doors and breaking some ladders, no crash. Then restored every path one by one to find the faulty one, but I ended up restoring the starting situation and there's no crash anymore.

So really I don't know, but that (annoying) process may give you a way to fix your save :p

The problemy may be a set of paths equal to one another, and then the system cant determin what to do. This only applys for one certain spot on the map. As long as no dupe wants to go there, you are fine. But then... boom. 

image.thumb.png.1786fe6bfd0a7f3c0268b0bc85180d72.png

debris piling up above the no build zone has caused crashes for others.  Your output log shows a chore bug... crash generated..... where are my logs.... ok brb

Filed a bug report about my system not generating logs.  Have to go to work now but I will probably djoums process in reverse, lock 1 door at a time before each crash see which one stops it :p

54 minutes ago, Kabrute said:

image.thumb.png.1786fe6bfd0a7f3c0268b0bc85180d72.png

debris piling up above the no build zone has caused crashes for others.  Your output log shows a chore bug... crash generated..... where are my logs.... ok brb

Filed a bug report about my system not generating logs.  Have to go to work now but I will probably djoums process in reverse, lock 1 door at a time before each crash see which one stops it :p

I am getting crashes, never did before but I did try the thing of having debris build in the red zone...

Hy. It seems you have the last upgrade. I will upgrade and see what is the problem.. It might be the last upgrade. I don't have any issue and I blocked the void on the limit zone since 295 cycle (I am approaching 500 cycle)

Post edit

I play the 285039 version. I upgraded on the wife laptop to version 285480 for testing. Your savegame It crashed. In my game I am on cycle 493 i think and no crashes until now. As i said i finish my wall on the edge of the space on cycle 295 and no more input of regolith since then... and no problem until now.

Utopia.sav

Post post edit. I deleted in sandbox mode all the regolith... same crash

I haven't seen people talking about this directly but if you have a mac laptop, these things overheat very easily and that will slow the game. I have 16GB RAM and Intel core i7 @ 2,5 GHz but still have a hard time with games because of this issue. I've taken the habit to elevate mine and play with a small fan beside to help with heat dispersal (should probably try to get a cooling pad). I am non-expert on these questions but would advise to make sure your computer is kept cool.

16 hours ago, Djoums said:

Thanks for doing that. That gives me some ideas. I was gonna do that, but this would be a lot of work especially my machine can only handle it at laggy 1x speed. So I really appreciate it.

@KabruteWhy your space has that red stripe thing?

@tzionut Yes, the crash episodes started right after the last update. Before that it was all fine. Do you know anyway to reverse to an ONI version?

Sory goatt.. no luck.. you might try the save editor... but i don't think it will solve your problem...You have 2 solution

Post its a bug and hope that the kley team will solve it very soon...but i am skeptic about it  

Start a new game and hope that bug will not happen again.

My advice for the future.

1 Upgrade only if the change help you (285480 version don't have many change and i decided to stay on 285039 version until it worth the effort ) 

2 Rush as fast as you can the steel production and the wall off the top side .. in my current game i started the wall of at 185 cycle and finish at 295 cycle... so you will minimize the quantity of regolith dropped by meteors. When you finish you can relax and build whatever you want. In my game i build only the essential (bath, air, food.. mealwood then mushroom) and rushed for the surface and bottom biom for fossils, so i escape whit only 8700 tones of regolith

My next step is to get rid of it by smelting it in magma and elevate the magma from the bottom biom to the void area in liquid state.

My general goal is Isolated rooms, all asteroid dig, minimum resources stored. What isn't stored smelted and disposed in the void area in liquid form...All the gasses stored in separate rooms and used (polluted oxigen converted in slime, slime converted in polluted water and algae, algae feeded to pacu.. you see the pictures).

On 9/19/2018 at 1:13 AM, goatt said:

NullReferenceException

...please post your save game and this log in the official bug tracker and the dev's will likely investigate.

@tzionut, NullReferenceExceptions are not cause for you to change your style of gameplay - this is an error doomed to cause a crash or undefined behaviour in the Unity engine. Trying to thwart such errors via trial and error gameplay is a waste of time.

@Kabrute, my logs are also missing and I've been getting the occasional dead silent crashes, ..the fact that someone has a log is pretty good news.

1 hour ago, Kabrute said:

I mouse over that region it shows those stripes to show I can't build there.

In my game, i only see pure darkness. hmm

@tzionutThank you again for what you have done, I don't really know how to investigate this kind of thing, your help has been great. So my steam seems to want to update games automatically. Is there a way to go back to older version?

@The Plum GateThank you too. I'm still a bit upset, i'll do a report once I feel like it.

Archived