A way to add an extinct animal back in to the game

I was playing my colony and I noticed that all the shine bugs had died out.  This means if I ever wanted to do anything with shinebugs again, I couldn't because they were extinct.   I personally don't play around with the shine bugs, but I don't like the missed opportunity.  I've also almost lost all the hatches by clicking continuous instead of one once too, and that would have been really sad.

I think it would make sense if every 100 cycles, we could have the printing pod print the basic form of a creature egg that we have encountered in the past, like a hatch egg, a puft egg, a shine bug egg, a drekko egg, or a slickster egg.  The 100 cycles is so that you can't really use this as a source of raw resources.

For the time being, if I ever want to do anything with shine bugs, I will use debug to add in a single egg of any extinct animals, but I don't want to use debug.

It looks like you can find some hatch morphs in space and bring them back. Maybe they can add a location with shinebugs later. The problematic critters are usually shinebugs since they only spawn in the starting biome (and in 2 PoIs) and if you don`t set up a feeder with phosphorite they tend to wander to ice biomes and die from cold.

cold storage of sorts

5 hours ago, BlueLance said:

It would make a lot of sense to be able to sacrifice a critter egg in a machine that does the same job as our printing pod, maybe it takes longer to print, maybe it needs to be powered, I don't mind but it means that there is always an option

nice.

Yea that would be great. And it's kinda rare but you could have a seed where you have 1 or 0 shine bugs. Also i had two times a seed where i have only 2 mealwood and 1 bristleberry.
I think would be great if you could change animal and plant diet and production too. By science.

I agree that there should be some way to obtain an extinct animal.

Maybe the best solution to the problem would be a trader who resides in space. You can send space missions to the trader to buy anything you want (not just extinct critters). But he is quite expensive, so that it is normally preferable to find the things you need on the map if you can. Especially the more highly evolved critters are very expensive, so that you would normally want to breed them yourself.

On the other hand, the idea of the original poster to use the printing pod to print the most basic critter forms may be better than my idea, since the player may require replacements of extinct animals in the early game, before he has a space industry.

+1

I think this topic on "Creature extinction,revival,regeneration,printing,dna mixing etc." has also been raised in other threads of the past, I think even including me posting about it. IMHO I believe its on the top 100 wishlist of things to wish for by other players. Still praying for it.

On 9/19/2018 at 12:24 PM, Jadelink said:

Just go to another asteroid and find them.  Now doable, if you can get your ship launched before the meteors tear your asteroid to shreds.

Not all critters can be found on asteroids. I think most of them can't, in fact. From what I've seen, only gassy moos and smooth hatches can be found in space, that's it.

4 hours ago, crypticorb said:

Not all critters can be found on asteroids. I think most of them can't, in fact. From what I've seen, only gassy moos and smooth hatches can be found in space, that's it.

The game could observe which asteroids have what resources, and then randomly assign native wildlife and plants based on their preferences for food consumption, atmosphere, and temperature... And possibly assign additional wildlife or plants based on the products of other wildlife or plants.

Dirt, Sandstone, Granite, Metal ores = Sage Hatches, Hatches, Stone Hatches, Smooth Hatches

Phosphorite = Shinebug

Slime / Polluted water = Polluted oxygen = Pufts, Mushrooms

Oxylite / Oxygen = Dense Pufts

Bleachstone / Chlorine = Squeaky Pufts, Balm Lillies

CO2 = Mealwood = Dreckos = Phosphorite = Shinebugs

So if there's 10 asteroids with granite in its composition, and the seed generator says "we need at least 2 stone hatch spawns" then 2 in those 10 asteroids would have stone hatches. If there's 3 places where phosphorite exists, there could be 1, 2, or 3 spawns in space for shine bugs.

20 hours ago, crypticorb said:

Smooth hatches are bred by feeding metal to stone hatches.  Gassy moos are the only creature that can only be gotten from space.

1 hour ago, Zarquan said:

Smooth hatches are bred by feeding metal to stone hatches.  Gassy moos are the only creature that can only be gotten from space.

You're only half correct. Your first statement, spot on, and that is common knowledge. The second part, only half correct, as you can get smooth hatches from metallic asteroids, and I've heard you can get stone hatches from rocky asteroids, but not confirmed.

My idea is that ALL critters should be recoverable from various asteroids, to allow players to replenish extinct species. I'm not on board with the critter printer or fossil synthesizing idea, as it seems... inconsistent with the rest of the game.

Just now, crypticorb said:

You're only half correct. Your first statement, spot on, and that is common knowledge. The second part, only half correct, as you can get smooth hatches from metallic asteroids, and I've heard you can get stone hatches from rocky asteroids, but not confirmed.

I said gassy moos are the only creature that can only be gotten from space.  You can get other creatures in space, but you can also get them in your colony.

2 minutes ago, Bluefoxfire said:

If it really comes to it and/or you're desperate, you can always enable sandbox mode, spawn a couple, then turn it back off.

Yes, but my point is that we shouldn't have to do that.  It should be possible with pure survival mode

Archived