Latest Natural Gas Changes

Just now, Parusoid said:

So can someone summarize them? Ive heard that oil no longer boils into nat gas but since there are constant changes I dont know how the things are now

Petroleum becomes sour gas, when cooled this gas will become methane and once that is heated it will become natural gas, I do not remember the conversion rate. You also get Sulphur as a byproduct

Crude oil boils into petroleum. And that has not changed.

But now petroleum boils into sour gas and not natural gas.

Sour gas needs to be cooled to transform into 70% liquid methane and 30% solid sulfur.

Liquid methan can then be heated back to change into natural gas.

Solid sulfur can transform into liquid and gas sulfur but has no use... And solid sulfur can't be put in a compactor. So it is still an unfinished material.

Just now, BlueLance said:

Ahh ok I was wondering if it would be any good to dunk an aquatuner into it XD

I think you can make something like that. If you manage to produce it next to an aquatuner and drop onto it. With another liquid to conduct heat you could heat it back into liquid.

But the aquatuner may overheat because sulfur becomes liquid at 115.2°C. So it's a 9.8°C range to not overheat the aquatuner... A bit short in my opinion ! Maybe you can heat it to 90°C or so and finish the liquefaction with another mean ?

I haven't played the game since the last two updates so these questions might be stupid/obvious. 

Is oil to natural gas still worth it?

Has the natural gas gen changed? If so how?

Is liquid methane useful for anything except making natural gas?

Just now, UhE1 said:

I haven't played the game since the last two updates so these questions might be stupid/obvious. 

1. I guess it's worth it but very complicated as it is. It's a fun challenge that requires a lot of steps but still will net positive power. I want to build such thing in survival but I'm not to this point yet.

2. It hasn't changed. Still consume 90g/s of natural gas to produce 67.5g of polluted water, 22.5g of CO2 and 800W of power.

3. Nope. It must only be heated to be converted to natural gas.

Sour gas condenses in to 67% natural gas and 33% sulfur.

7 minutes ago, UhE1 said:

Liquid methane has a very narrow range between vaporization and freezing, so it isn't very useful as a coolant through an aquatuner.  It also is not used in any other buildings.

1 hour ago, Zarquan said:

Sour gas condenses in to 67% natural gas and 33% sulfur.

Liquid methane has a very narrow range between vaporization and freezing, so it isn't very useful as a coolant through an aquatuner.  It also is not used in any other buildings.

So then most likely a cooling room would produce both solid methane and solid sulfur?  That simplifies  some things.

2 minutes ago, 0xFADE said:

So then most likely a cooling room would produce both solid methane and solid sulfur?  That simplifies  some things.

It's not that narrow, you can easily avoid creating solid methane.  But the range is around 21 C (which is actually better than I thought).  So using it with an aquatuner is hard because we have a very narrow range before it solidifies or evaporates. 

4 hours ago, UhE1 said:

It is certainly worth it, but it has lost efficiency over it's previous form.  It also requires a much stronger industrial base to accomplish, because instead of simply sucking up the NatGas and running it to the Generator, you now have to remove a very substantial quantity of heat from the Sour Gas to liquify it, so it can evaporate again into NatGas.  It also has a 33% mass loss, in the form of Sulfur, which is the only true waste product in the game at the moment, because there is no use for it.

4 hours ago, UhE1 said:

There was the change a while ago from 60 g/s to 90 g/s, but since then it has been unchanged.  The bigger change was the heavy nerf to FertSynths, additionally requiring Phosphorite and only producing 10 g/s of NatGas.  But that was at the same time as the 60 to 90 change to the Generator.

4 hours ago, UhE1 said:

Not particularly.  It's simply a required extra step in Oil Boiling now that Sour Gas is in the way.

13 hours ago, UhE1 said:

I spent a fair amount of Time tuning a perfect volcano boiler.

Deconstucting it now.

Because of The high specific heat capacity of sour gas, and high mass loss of sour - methane (33% mass is lost to useless sulfur)..

It needs 21 hydrogen thermo regulator + a sour/ng heat exchanger to run a 10kg /sec generator. Not worth it.

To add insult to injury, petroleum now turns to water at 1:1.5 ratio with rocketry.

16 hours ago, Christophlette said:

I think you can make something like that. If you manage to produce it next to an aquatuner and drop onto it. With another liquid to conduct heat you could heat it back into liquid.

But the aquatuner may overheat because sulfur becomes liquid at 115.2°C. So it's a 9.8°C range to not overheat the aquatuner... A bit short in my opinion ! Maybe you can heat it to 90°C or so and finish the liquefaction with another mean ?

Made of gold the overheat temp is 175 so you could use it for about another 58-60 degrees

4 hours ago, BlueLance said:

Made of gold the overheat temp is 175 so you could use it for about another 58-60 degrees

Oh damn you're right. I always forget that aquatuner has 125°C as a base overheat temperature. It's one of those machines that do not have a standard overheat temperature. Thanks for pointing it out !

1 hour ago, Christophlette said:

Oh damn you're right. I always forget that aquatuner has 125°C as a base overheat temperature. It's one of those machines that do not have a standard overheat temperature. Thanks for pointing it out !

In all fairness I only found out when all my water turned to steam and was at 150 degrees XD

Archived