Any ideas on what to do with abundant Hydrogen?

The title kinda says it all, I started a new base since the RU came out officially, and so far I have already found 2 Hydrogen Vents, For some this might be a blessing but to me it is a curse, I already have an excess of Hydrogen from my build and I honestly do not know what I could do with MORE of it.

My thoughts were to use it to power some sort of cooling system, For instance have a pool of water with 5 Seperate Radiant pipes each with 1kg of super cooled hydrogen, So that would be 10 Pumps pumping Hydrogen into Thermo Regulators (I cant remember the name) which are cooled by wheezeworts, All powered by hydrogen, That is my thoughts at least. Anyone else got any better ideas? I assume 5kg of -100 Hydrogen would make some sort of Impact on waters temp

1 minute ago, Christophlette said:

Why use thermo regulators if you want to cool them with wheezeworts? You could put those wheezeworts in the hydrogen before pumping. 

Unless you only use pumps to start the system and shut them off afterward. 

Wheezeworts only cool gas down to a certain temperature, my plan was to cool it down as much as possible and hen use it at the end of the system to power generators. Ideally I want to use it to cool down a lot of water, I just used the number as an example. I use water in a lot of my builds to absorb heat but I have no real way of negating that heat, so after a while some sealed areas can become pretty toasty, So I had an idea to use all this hydrogen to cool down water if I could.

1 minute ago, BlueLance said:

So I had an idea to use all this hydrogen to cool down water if I could.

The only way to get rid of hydrogen is to use it for power. So you must build power hungry machines.

For your build you need to make sure you have enough wheezeworts though... As 1 thermo regulator needs 2.5 wheezeworts in theory if working at full speed. Hydrogen vents produce around 120g of hydrogen on average. So you will have 240g which results in 1920W constantly.

With that power you can use 8 thermo regulators at full efficiency and power. Resulting in 20 wheezeworts in theory. That is a bit much in my opinion ^^

4 minutes ago, Christophlette said:

Hydrogen vents produce around 120g of hydrogen on average

Good H2 vents produce that when erupting but if you take their activity/period into account they average out to 20-40g/s. I tend to ignore them in general, they're really not that useful.

31 minutes ago, rafker said:

Used my vent on powering aquatuner (and thermo nullifier). 300kg (two containers) were emptied in like 5-10 minutes

No idea how you struggle with excess

My old base used to run two aquatuners for about 10 cycles before getting through their buffer, Any excess bypasses the buffer and goes into storage, but eventually my storage fills up and the pipe begins to backup.

1 hour ago, Christophlette said:

For your build you need to make sure you have enough wheezeworts though... As 1 thermo regulator needs 2.5 wheezeworts in theory if working at full speed. Hydrogen vents produce around 120g of hydrogen on average. So you will have 240g which results in 1920W constantly.

With that power you can use 8 thermo regulators at full efficiency and power. Resulting in 20 wheezeworts in theory. That is a bit much in my opinion ^^

Considering the hydrogen I end up with in excess + 2 hydrogen vents I can probably run 3 Hydrogen gens at 100% unless i have horrible geysers then 2 gens. Agreed that when they are dormant it will be a different story but i need to do something with the hydrogen I can't just let it overpressurise

Another problem with the hydrogen vents is the temperature. I had one once. Wished I had cancer instead, but I digress, the gas comes out at 500°C, so it's a process do get it down to a useable temperature first. Then once you do all of that you realize that the quantity that comes out isn't all that much so, like the chlorine, it's a wasted vent. Sorry.

Another problem with the hydrogen vents is the temperature. I had one once. Wished I had cancer instead, but I digress, the gas comes out at 500°C, so it's a process do get it down to a useable temperature first. Then once you do all of that you realize that the quantity that comes out isn't all that much so, like the chlorine, it's a wasted vent

You can use the heat for one steam generator, boiling water, etc...and then more power for hydrogen generators...If you make a buffer rezervoir filed whit 18 - 25 kg of hydrogen/ tile you can run you generator for long time. The nat. gas convert it to methane and store it...for future rocket engine upgrade

2 minutes ago, scaldinghotcarl said:

Another problem with the hydrogen vents is the temperature. I had one once. Wished I had cancer instead, but I digress, the gas comes out at 500°C, so it's a process do get it down to a useable temperature first. Then once you do all of that you realize that the quantity that comes out isn't all that much so, like the chlorine, it's a wasted vent. Sorry.

I have a wheezewort build which helps keep hydrogen vents at less than 100 degrees, so I don't have any worries about that :)

Also chlorine to me isn't a wasted vent either, I have one just to the right of my starting biome, which means I have a perfectly sustainable double puft farm :)  The only vent I find pretty much useless is a hot steam vent, all others have a use in my colony;

Hydrogen/Natural Gas - Free Power, No Effort and Self Sustaining. No point letting it go to waste.

Chlorine - Free source of food for Squeaky pufts, Bleachstone left in the room covers dormancy periods.

Polluted Oxygen/Hot Polluted Oxygen - Free Oxygen, Free Source of Food for Pufts, Also gives you slime which is useful.

Volcano/Metal Volcano - Amazing sources of Heat, Plus all cooled materials have a use (Hatch Food) and buildings which need refined metal.

Cool Steam Vent/Water Geyser - The former is easy to cool, the latter is liquid, Easy water!

Carbon Dioxide Geyser/Vent - Its free food for slicksters, I wont complain!

Leaky Oil Fissure - Good Source of Heat, Free power source, a bit of a pain to cool down

Slush Geyser - Need I say more.

Polluted Water Geyser - Similar to slush Geyser, Need I say more.

Any other vent I may have missed I do make use of!

4 minutes ago, Enno said:

Is dumping it into space an option? Maybe you can use it for a bit of cooling and then just send it away. 

To me dumping it into space is akin to just letting the vents overpressure, but if I managed to pump a lot of heat into it then it could actually be useful.

Any idea how quickly 20kg of Hydrogen would reach 175 with an aquatuner?

1 minute ago, Exa said:

How can you have too much of something being litteraly the best way to produce power in the game?

in worst case, just waste it into hydrogen generator

I don't want to waste it thats the reason, If i can use the excess power I would rather that. Because my base runs on it so well I struggle to use Natural Gas etc in the same fashion

use it to buffer energy as "coldness" by refrigerating big amount of petroleum you will use later in your cooling circuit. and if you still have surplus, just store it into gaz reservoir or custom high pressure room

2 minutes ago, BlueLance said:

To me dumping it into space is akin to just letting the vents overpressure, but if I managed to pump a lot of heat into it then it could actually be useful.

Any idea how quickly 20kg of Hydrogen would reach 175 with an aquatuner?

That's why I mentioned it, it might not be perfect, but it can definitely help cooling some really hot stuff without heating up your asteroid. 

Probably fast, I would have used it for a volcano or so 

3 minutes ago, Exa said:

use it to buffer energy as "coldness" by refrigerating big amount of petroleum you will use later in your cooling circuit. and if you still have surplus, just store it into gaz reservoir or custom high pressure room

Ideally I would do that with polluted water as this is my main type of heat sink, I would then pump the cooled liquid back into storage for use when it is needed in one of my builds. But I want to try and burn through as much hydrogen as possible and make the most of that energy through cooling.

I will admit though venting it into space after heating it massively does seem more appealing than letting it go to waste

I know Use it to make a couple lox systems and use it to make -200c pwater ice. Dripping small amounts of water on a cold plate  gathered by an auto sweeper before there is enough ice to form a tile. and  use that for your cooling system.

then you can be the first player to totally iceage their base since thermal upgrade brought in the temp reset in pipes

1 hour ago, heckubis said:

I know Use it to make a couple lox systems and use it to make -200c pwater ice. Dripping small amounts of water on a cold plate  gathered by an auto sweeper before there is enough ice to form a tile. and  use that for your cooling system.

then you can be the first player to totally iceage their base since thermal upgrade brought in the temp reset in pipes

Can anything even go to -200? But you did give me an interesting idea ;)

Use it as a coolant - Create a large high pressure room with wheezworts and fill with hydrogen.  Then drop a few thermoregulars in there to cool gases.  1 Wheezwort should support 1.5 thermoregulators easily if the hydrogen pressure is high.  2 thermoregulaters can cool your base breathing oxygen down to like 4 or 5 C to keep your base cool.

For liquids, use gas pumps to pump out the coldest hydrogen and run it through a liquid tank using radiant gas ducts in a cycle just like a real life water cooler.  It takes a few minutes cycle to cool the liquid (like a real water cooler) but doesn't use much power at all and you can get the liquids very cold if you wait even longer,  makes sleet wheat farming piece of cake.

Burn the rest

Finding a hydrogen vent is like freaking Christmas to me.

Archived